Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
daxp
daxp began at the beginning.

Device: magflalmVE
What do you say when asked what page you're on?

It might just be this way for the Kindle DX, but I've been reading some .mobi files, and at the bottom it tells me I'm on locations 5372 - 97, out of 12866. So I'm curious, if every ereader does pages like that, what would you say if someone asked what page you were on?
daxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Nobody ever asks me, but I'd probably say "27 out of 150" or something, and let them work out the ratio as needed for other books. It's the same problem as HB/TPB/MMPB has always been ... page 27 in one isn't page 27 in any of the others (and a reprint of any of those might move it around to yet another location).
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Mercury
Enthusiast
Mercury doesn't litterMercury doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505, iPad
I think the only people who ask me how far into a book I am, are the ones who have read that book and would like to talk about it.

The easiest thing is to always be "about half-way through".
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
sounds weird Sony gives me page numbers
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
No one ever asks me what page of a book I'm on, nor do I ask anyone else. I've always asked, "what part are you at?" or, "did you reach such and such place yet?" It's not like you remember what happened in the book at every page.

But if someone did ask me, I'd just answer them. Sonys pretty much use a normal page number system, not "locations" like you seem to be describing so I wouldn't think much of it to just say the number.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Same as banjobama. Nobodoy asks and I wouldn't ask either. As Worldwalker said, even in pbooks page numbers aren't always the same. It makes more sense to ask where a person is in the book, what event just took place.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:52 AM   #7
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Since the page numbers can vary so much (due to font size, screen size, and formatting), there are two ways I'd describe where I am in an ebook:

- An absolute reference, based on the ebook itself, such as "I'm in chapter eight."

- A rough fraction or reference, such as "eighth of the way" or "quarter of the way" or "I'm in the middle of the ebook" since this would give someone an idea of how far I am into the book without having to rely on a specific page number.

As far as page numbers go, my Sony ereader uses normal page numbers with all formats with the exception of epub. With epub I will get page numbers like "3-4 of 54" and from what I understand based on my reading in these forums that is part of the way the epub format handles page numbers.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 07-23-2010 at 01:59 AM. Reason: To add more information.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxp View Post
what would you say if someone asked what page you were on?
Nobody ever asked me this question.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I think most people who'd ask what page you're on, uses it as a way to ask where in the book you are - they'd probably be a little confused if you just gave them the number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
As far as page numbers go, my Sony ereader uses normal page numbers with all formats with the exception of epub. With epub I will get page numbers like "3-4 of 54" and from what I understand based on my reading in these forums that is part of the way the epub format handles page numbers.
Yes, the epub format works with a set standard page size (I think it corresponds to the paper book), so page 3-4 means the screen display parts of both standard page 3 and standard page 4.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Yes, the epub format works with a set standard page size (I think it corresponds to the paper book), so page 3-4 means the screen display parts of both standard page 3 and standard page 4.
It's not the ePUB format, it's just Adobe's way of computing "pages". It would be better to call the "fragments", because they are completely unrelated to any kind of page by default.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
With the kindle couldn't you just say 17% through and then let them do the maths. Must admit the location numbers mean absolutely nothing to me - can anyone explain them?

The only time anyone has ever asked me where I was in a book was when reading "Madam Bovary" when two people on separate occasions had asked if I'd got to the carriage scene yet. I was actually quite bored by the book and was rather glad there was something to look forward to but sadly even that bit disappointed me in the end. I guess I'm just not cut out for historic fiction.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It's not the ePUB format, it's just Adobe's way of computing "pages". It would be better to call the "fragments", because they are completely unrelated to any kind of page by default.
Thank you Karma to you. It's just that the no. of "fragments" as far as I remember, tend to fit fairly well with paper book pages.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
What do you say when asked what page you're on?
I'd say 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4

Simple enough
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
If they ask, I just tell them whatever page my reader says.

[Start rant]

I just want e-readers to be more popular so people will quit bothering me with questions about the reader. What is it? Do you like it? Where'd you get it? How much? Etc.

Now, honestly, I like talking about my reader. But, to paraphrase Ratso Rizzo: "I'm reading here! I'm reading here!"

Sometimes, I'm scared to go out in public with it for fear of interruptions. Never got that much attention with paper books...

[/rant]

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
With the kindle couldn't you just say 17% through and then let them do the maths. Must admit the location numbers mean absolutely nothing to me - can anyone explain them?
They are the paragraph numbers within the ebook.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote