Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
PRS-600: low contrast, reflective screen

I have reviewed the PRS-600 and although it's a nice device, the lack of contrast of the screen (due to the touch screen layer) and the fact that the screen reflects badly keeps me from recommending it to avid readers.

The contrast of the displays of the PRS-300 and 600 compared:

The PRS-300 (left) and PRS-600

Two crops (same exposure)

Also have a look at the following pictures, which show you the reflectiveness of the PRS-600 screen, compared to that of the PRS-300 (pictures made from the same position, with the table-lamp turned on):

PRS-600

PRS-300

Two additional images, taken by daylight:

If you really want to annotate your ebooks, or be able to search in your ebook library, the PRS-600 is your choice. But for reading purposes only, I do not recommend the 600. If a 5" screen is big enough for you, have a look at the 300, otherwise you might consider getting the old 505 (6", without touch screen).

Last edited by ebookreaders; 09-11-2009 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added 2 images
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
I have to agree... Sony really got it right with the 505. But I really wanted a dictionary with the ease of use that the 600 (tap the word twice) has.

I just recommended my sister in law to go with the 505 instead of the 300 or 600... 505, can't beat it for reading clarity.

Last edited by wachuko; 09-11-2009 at 07:58 AM.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I am also finding is that, under good light, there is very little difference. Both the 505 and the 600 look great and are great for reading.

Under poor light is where the 505 is better (but we should not be reading under poor light, right? )

PRS-600 on the left, PRS-505 on the right:

Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
PRS-600 bashing topics start to get boring. Even after reading all of them, I've still went and bought 600 instead of 300 and am quite happy with it. I've played with both of them for several hours and couldn't find that much difference when reading under daylight conditions. So it's just a matter of preference.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
wachuko
eBook Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
PRS-600 bashing topics start to get boring. Even after reading all of them, I've still went and bought 600 instead of 300 and am quite happy with it. I've played with both of them for several hours and couldn't find that much difference when reading under daylight conditions. So it's just a matter of preference.
I just came off my 505 (had if for a month or so before buying the 600). During that month I read 5 books on the 505. The switch last night to the 600 took me a few hours to adjust. There is an additional effort, minimal but effort just the same, to find the right angle to read on the 600, something I did not have to worry about on the 505.

Anyway... Happy Friday and enjoy the weekend!!

Last edited by wachuko; 09-11-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: can't spell...
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
pneil
pneil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pneil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pneil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pneil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
Ditto for me... I have no problems using the 600 in any circumstance I've
tried to read in. You do have to pay a bit of attention to the viewing angle,
but it's not really an "issue" for me.
pneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
It's only going to be an issue if you have had a 505 or non touchscreen e-ink device to compare it too.

But it's not "bashing" to tell the truth. the 505 is clearer. The 505 has better contrast.

I would still recommend the 600 over a PDA to an "avid" reader.

I actually have more problem with glare off the wilver strip down the right hand side than I do with the reflection off the screen itself.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contrast, prs-300, prs-600, reflection, sony