Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #1
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Kobo Clara HD mods : SD card, battery, light bleed fix, plastidip back cover

Just wanted to share some tidbits about my new Kobo Clara HD.

1) the back cover is hard plastic. This often gets knocked as one of the complaints about the device. But then, I've seen many of the Kobo back covers get knocked. The main issue with the Clara is that it has a strange stippling pattern for grip, but isn't that grippy, especially when your hands get sweaty.

Well, I found a solution. PlastiDip. If you have the cojones, take off the back cover, and lay down a couple coats of black Plastidip. PlastiDip usually peels right off things like clearcoat on cars, or metal wheels, but on a plastic cover it adheres very well. It gives the cover a nice rubbery, tactile feel.

2) The built in SD card is a Sandisk Edge 8GB.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5081.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	165118
I don't have crystaldiskMark, since I'm on a Mac, but I have a similar program. Here is the speed test results for the Clara.

Name:	Kobo_8GB.png
Views:	963
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	165119

It isn't that great.

I replaced it with a 32GB Samsung Evo Plus card, that has faster speed tests.

Name:	Evo_Plus_C.png
Views:	939
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	165120

From off, the Kobo boots up faster now. I've got my eyes out to see what else might be faster too.

3) the battery is a 1500mah 2.8mm x 54mm x 83mm 3.7V lipo. So far it is getting great battery life, but it may be possible to actually fit a larger battery.

4) there is a woman who posted a great fix for the Clara HD. Search youtube for 'kobo clara fix'. She describes putting electrical tape on the sides of the screen. And I've heard from others that this works!... I was anticipating having to do this too, but I found that actually, if you just take off the back cover and press the backside of the screen against the front bezel, the side lighting disappears. It seems that the double sided tape there just needs a little more help. So, I don't even need to wrap my screen in electrical tape. Just one other possibility for those inclined to try to fix the issue.

Last edited by Derf; 08-03-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Oversize images thumbnailed.
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Congratulations on your new Clara HD and welcome to mobileread.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
Just wanted to share some tidbits about my new Kobo Clara HD.
Thank you, especially for 1 and 4!

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 07-19-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
timeisart
timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
great idea about the plastidip, going to try that soon.

I'd like to do the memory card upgrade as well, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it on a mac (I've only found windows tutorials). I know you can use disk utility to make an image of the original card (clone it) but then how do you extend the partition on the new card to make use of all the new available space? Does disk utility do this as well? If not, what program did you use?

Thanks for any help.
timeisart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
kakinc
kakinc began at the beginning.

I had mine upgraded to 64GB...
copied my books (4000ish books) to the device... not able to finish the import...
ended up only import books I am currently reading... maybe its a bit too much for it to handle all at once...

*thought of upgrading the battery too when I saw so much space inside. But gave up the idea when battery life is already very good. And it would just add unnecessary weight to it.
kakinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
....4) there is a woman who posted a great fix for the Clara HD. Search youtube for 'kobo clara fix'. She describes putting electrical tape on the sides of the screen. And I've heard from others that this works!... I was anticipating having to do this too, but I found that actually, if you just take off the back cover and press the backside of the screen against the front bezel, the side lighting disappears. It seems that the double sided tape there just needs a little more help. So, I don't even need to wrap my screen in electrical tape. Just one other possibility for those inclined to try to fix the issue.

**Just a thought ... seems like its the High Temps causing this Sticky Problem Hopefully when I order mine the problem will be solved by Kobo or the Temps going down.

...2. The built in SD card is a Sandisk Edge 8GB.

**Anything else needed done for the switch to work?

Last edited by Barbara1955; 07-20-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A quick tiny off-topic:
Hi Barbara,

Little tip: if you quote (part of) someone's post, it would make your own post a lot easier to read and understand if you used the quotation functionality...

You can either use the "quote" button (or the little cumulative quote button next to it for quoting multiple posts) at the bottom right of a post; or you can copy paste as you have done, and add
[ quote]
before the text and
[ /quote]
after the text (without spaces).
Old 07-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I hd to Add SDcard to my Aura 6" I tries the 4 gig [4 speed I think] Was very sluggish. When I changed to 16 gig (10) turning pages is Fast. Not really sure if it the SDcard or something else.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
A rude post and several responses have been deleted. "MYOB" is not appropriate to MR, most especially when someone is being helpful. Nor is "Bossy." Enough with the name-calling and insults, please.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #10
timeisart
timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.timeisart knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

plastidip

just did the plastidip mod, decided to do both the back and the front.. loving how grippy it is now, thanks again for the tip!

Name:	hemRsg6l.jpg
Views:	1445
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	165121

Name:	ju3RrFel.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	165122

I already had the nobiggi strap applied before I did the plastidip so I had to mask that off with painter's tape beforehand. ended up doing 4 coats total, figured that was enough but considered getting some clear plastidip or even the glossifier to go on top as well.

Last edited by issybird; 07-20-2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Oversize images thumbnailed.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

timeisart .... Good Looking Great Job! Makes me want an Clara even more
Old 07-21-2018, 01:08 AM   #12
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeisart View Post
great idea about the plastidip, going to try that soon.

I'd like to do the memory card upgrade as well, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it on a mac (I've only found windows tutorials). I know you can use disk utility to make an image of the original card (clone it) but then how do you extend the partition on the new card to make use of all the new available space? Does disk utility do this as well? If not, what program did you use?

Thanks for any help.
I'm on a mac too. You can copy the original card image over to a replacement card with mac disk utility of CLI using diskutil, but a mac cannot dynamically resize a fat32 partition. I tried one piece of software (see my post at the end of the magic memory upgrade thread) that says it can resize the partition, and although it shows it resized it, after every attempt the Kobo wouldn't even boot. So I'm just using a 32GB card as an 8GB card at the moment.
At this point I am likely to bring it to work and use gparted to fix it on a windows computer. I don't have more than 4000 ebooks, so I'm not dying for the space at the moment, but I don't want to NOT use it if its there. Other options include installing a virtual machine on the mac with windows. Or get a live cd/usb of linux. Both those operating systems should resize the FAT32 partition without issue.

I should take some pictures of my back cover with the PlastiDip. Its less glossy and subtly more grippy. You can hear the sound difference too when you run your fingers nails over the surface. It does seem to attract more dust though, but it also blows off pretty easily. I only did the back cover on mine, not the front frame, but that isn't a bad idea and looks pretty good. So far mine has lasted several days without any peeling, but I saw two tips on prep to make it last better : one is that you should clean off any dirt/oil on the surface with alcohol, the other is put the spray can in a pot with very warm water for a few minutes to warm up the rubber before spraying. It makes it spray better and less globby. Also the first coat I went light, but the 3 subsequent coats I went heavy.

The light issue may be heat related, I'm not sure. I do notice that I've re-pressed down in those areas again to fix the light leak, so pressing is only a temporary solution. I may open it again this weekend to do the electrical tape mod, which seems more permanent, but pressing is no biggie to fix the problem for a reading session.

I did all the 'mods' to the current firmware that I wanted. I'm really enjoying this little eReader.
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:09 AM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
just did the plastidip mod, decided to do both the back and the front.. loving how grippy it is now, thanks again for the tip!

Thank you for sharing! Looks very good. I'm not familiar with PlastiDip. A quick Google gives me a site with many cans in all sorts of colours. What colour did you use? Black?

[s](I also saw PlastiDip is vinyl, not rubber, which is good as I'm allergic to latex/rubber.)[/s]
EDIT: This doesn't seem to be true...

Quote:
I should take some pictures of my back cover with the PlastiDip.
I'd be very interested!

Quote:
Its less glossy and subtly more grippy. You can hear the sound difference too when you run your fingers nails over the surface. It does seem to attract more dust though, but it also blows off pretty easily. I only did the back cover on mine, not the front frame, but that isn't a bad idea and looks pretty good. So far mine has lasted several days without any peeling, but I saw two tips on prep to make it last better : one is that you should clean off any dirt/oil on the surface with alcohol, the other is put the spray can in a pot with very warm water for a few minutes to warm up the rubber before spraying. It makes it spray better and less globby. Also the first coat I went light, but the 3 subsequent coats I went heavy.
Thank you for the extra info! Very helpful.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 07-23-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #14
timeisart

Quote:
I did all the 'mods' to the current firmware that I wanted. I'm really enjoying this little eReader.
I love how moddable kobos are after coming from kindle. What I love the most is the night mode mod (white text on black background) that really makes a difference at night by not disturbing my wife next to me in bed. Other than that I've just got full screen reading, bookerly font installed, and my words (vocabulary builder) turned on. What are all the firmware mods that you've done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Thank you for sharing! Looks very good. I'm not familiar with PlastiDip. A quick Google gives me a site with many cans in all sorts of colours. What colour did you use? Black?

(I also saw PlastiDip is vinyl, not rubber, which is good as I'm allergic to latex/rubber.)
Plastidip is mainly used for car paint jobs as an alternative to normal paint in that it can be easily peeled off later if you want (although the stippling pattern on the back of the Clara might make peeling it off difficult).

Yeah I used black but they also have a gunmetal gray that I almost chose, or white or several colors like blue or red. Then they also have finishing sprays like a metallizer to make it look metallic or a glossifier for a glossy finish so there's lots of options for customization.

Last edited by timeisart; 07-22-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #15
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Kobo Clara HD

Quote:
Plastidip is mainly used for car paint jobs as an alternative to normal paint in that it can be easily peeled off later if you want (although the stippling pattern on the back of the Clara might make peeling it off difficult).

Yeah I used black but they also have a gunmetal gray that I almost chose, or white or several colors like blue or red. Then they also have finishing sprays like a metallizer to make it look metallic or a glossifier for a glossy finish so there's lots of options for customization.
Thank you!