Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 03-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
doron
Connoisseur
doron began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Koreader fail to start

I didn't have any problems with Koreader fora long time but now when I start to launch it I get the message "Opening ---.pdf" but nothings happens and I stay on the KSM home page.
Anyone is acquainted with that problem?
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It looks like there is at least one scenario where it'll quit if it can't open a file, which would be somewhat awkward when opening the previously opened file:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader....lua#L432-L436

In principle it shouldn't save the last file without successfully opening the document at least once, so at the very least it's unusual that you managed to reach a state where that happens.

Last edited by Frenzie; 03-29-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: couple of typos
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, forgot to add, you can restore it to working condition by removing the "lastfile = something" line from your settings.reader.lua. Make a backup just in case if you want to keep your settings, or just remove the entire file if you don't care.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I sometimes get a message box when automatically trying to open my last read document (an epub), offering to try again. The message suggested that the SD card might not to have been mounted in time. Perhaps there might be something like it needed for opening a PDF, under those conditions.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard

Ah yes, that happens earlier.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader....lua#L103-L118

What happens is roughly this:

1. It checks if the last file exists.
1. a. If it doesn't, it offers you a choice to retry. If you don't retry it ignores the last file, so it'll open with the file browser.
2. If the last file exists, it proceeds to open it.
3. If it fails to open the last file (any file, not just the last file), it displays a message like "No reader engine for this file or invalid file." and displays the file browser.

I can't make it quit. However, this fall back to file manager behavior was implemented by me ten months ago in https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/2956, precisely to avoid the scenario sketched in the OP.

A version older than that will quit. I half forgot about that.

@doron Which version do you use?
Advert
Old 03-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
doron
Connoisseur

Thanks for all your answers.
1. I don't use a SD card .
2. My Koreader is roughly 2 years old. Does this explain the problem? If I need to update it how can I do this?
3. As for removing the "lastfile = something" line from my settings.reader.lua. Is there a way to edit it in th Kobo itself? If yes this could be really nice.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
2. My Koreader is roughly 2 years old. Does this explain the problem? If I need to update it how can I do this?
It may or may not solve the problem of opening the file but it'd solve the problem of not being able to enter the program.

Quote:
3. As for removing the "lastfile = something" line from my settings.reader.lua. Is there a way to edit it in th Kobo itself? If yes this could be really nice.
You can if you have vlasovsoftlauncher installed with the text editor (or *any* text editor), otherwise it'll be hard if not impossible. You don't have an easily available USB connection?
Old 03-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
doron
Connoisseur

Eventaully the problem was solved by deleting the file.

As for updating Koreader - which version is recommended for a Kobo Aura 6'' 4 GB that was bought 3 yrs ago? Where can I see what's new compared to v2015.11 stable?
Old 03-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Take you pick. The Kobo version is for all the Kobo devices. It is offered in both .targz and .zip download packages.

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
doron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Take you pick. The Kobo version is for all the Kobo devices. It is offered in both .targz and .zip download packages.

Luck;
Ken
Thanks!
So for updating my version should I simply replace my koreader directory with the one in the zip file?
Old 03-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by doron View Post
Thanks!
So for updating my version should I simply replace my koreader directory with the one in the zip file?
Right, in Windows I just Drag&Drop the folder from WinRAR or 7Zip onto the .adds directory of my device, while it is connected via USB cable. The merge lets me keep my settings as they are. I just check the boxes to do the same action and all that I have to do is skip History and Screenshots when they pop-up. The rest is handled automatically.

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
Frenzie
Wizard

The official releases carry some release information: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases
Old 03-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #13
doron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Right, in Windows I just Drag&Drop the folder from WinRAR or 7Zip onto the .adds directory of my device, while it is connected via USB cable. The merge lets me keep my settings as they are. I just check the boxes to do the same action and all that I have to do is skip History and Screenshots when they pop-up. The rest is handled automatically.

Luck;
Ken
Did that, although seen no such boxes or pop-up. Sadly my history was cleared... As my beloved power off button.
Can I return them?
Also, should I update also my KSM 08 (2015.10.27)?

P.S. I see that my history is saved in a history folder that wasn't merged to the new version. Is it true also for files sdr data?

And last question - can I delete new the koreader dir in .adds?

Last edited by doron; 03-30-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I don't see how your history was cleared. The Power Off button is under the exit option of the hamburger icon.

No need to "update" a working KSM (I am still using KSM7) but it may become an issue if you use the more recent stock software/firmware versions.

Deleting the /.adds/koreader/ folder will uninstall KOReader.

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-31-2018, 07:07 AM   #15
doron
Connoisseur

Quote:
I don't see how your history was cleared. The Power Off button is under the exit option of the hamburger icon.

No need to "update" a working KSM (I am still using KSM7) but it may become an issue if you use the more recent stock software/firmware versions.

Deleting the /.adds/koreader/ folder will uninstall KOReader.

Luck;
Ken
I've found he exit button. Thanks! The look of the new version is beautiful!

Can I migrate somehow my history folder data to the history.lua file?
Are there any files that I can delete after the upgrade to save space?

Also my 2 eng dictionaries have stopped to be accessible sometime before the upgrade and still don't work. Which instructions should I use -

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ght=dictionary

or http://eduardosanchez.me/2015/09/07/...untu-gnulinux/
?

Last edited by doron; 03-31-2018 at 07:27 AM.