Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #511
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I recently did a factory reset on my Oasis (which is actually my third Oasis, now I think of it), and the battery life is still utterly appalling.

However, after seeing the numerous problems with the Kobo Forma (which I was seriously thinking of buying at one point), I’ve decided to count myself lucky, as my Oasis' screen is absolutely perfect - even lighting, no flicker (known Forma problem), no dark line to one side (on every Forma by the sounds of it), beautiful crisp dark font.

It’s a really gorgeous device, apart from the battery issue - now, if they would reinstate a way to hide the battery percentage, or, even better the battery icon altogether, then I could just ignore this completely and get on with my life.

Thank goodness I didn’t buy the Forma though - what a botched launch. Jeff Bezos must be laughing up his sleeve at Kobo right now.

EDIT: Writing this out has made me realize how terrible my battery life really is now, so I got on to customer support again and they are doing a warranty replacement. So, fingers crossed this one behaves itself, although I know that is very unlikely!

Last edited by Pjama; 11-01-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #512
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I also did a factory reset on my Oasis 2, I also did the recalibration of letting the battery drop to about 2%, neither made much of a difference. Only shutting the screen off before I closed my magnetic cover made a small difference of not losing 2% while sleeping. Which does add up over charging periods.

I wish you luck on getting a better Oasis 2. I also have the 32 gb. It was supposed to last a long time, being top end and all. I just charge the heck out of it, knowing I'm probably murdering the battery. At this point I don't care, lesson learned kind of thing. I won't get another Oasis 3 or whatever they come out with next, unless they address the battery issues. It only works well at the lowest light levels and is terrible for audio too. I cope by leaving only the battery symbol on.

The Forma is another top end device, that has problems. I'm now thinking perhaps less is more. Going with the less expensive devices might be the way to go. My hope is that the new Paperwhite 4 will be problem free. If it is and they continue to add improvements, I'm hoping for buttons at some point, I'm in !
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #513
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I wish you luck on getting a better Oasis 2. I also have the 32 gb. It was supposed to last a long time, being top end and all. I just charge the heck out of it, knowing I'm probably murdering the battery. At this point I don't care, lesson learned kind of thing. I won't get another Oasis 3 or whatever they come out with next, unless they address the battery issues. It only works well at the lowest light levels and is terrible for audio too. I cope by leaving only the battery symbol on.
Thanks, I still have my old one right now, did one last factory reset and downloaded just two books on it. It’s lasting a little longer, but the max I will get is two and half days by the looks of it.

I bought the 32 GB thinking I could load all my books, docs, magazines and audiobooks on it, but I suspect that even after the indexing finished (which I always check) the device battery drains quicker when the Oasis has more books loaded on it. Defeats the purpose of buying the 32 GB.

I will get an Oasis 3 if it weighs a TON, because it has such a gigantic, long-lasting battery. But if they keep prioritizing low weight, I’m out.

Yep, I gave up using my Oasis for audiobooks because I was seeing the battery count down like a percentage point every single minute or worse. What a joke.

Since I updated to the latest software, I can no longer hide my battery percentage! I think I will have to stick black tape over it if I keep this one or if (when) I have the same problem with a replacement.

Honestly, this, coupled with the Kobo Forma debacle has put me off getting a 'top of the line' ereader again. And I will never buy one again at launch, but will wait until a few months after release. I’m thinking smaller screen, fewer battery-sucking lights is suddenly seeming more of an advantage than larger screen, 12 lights etc...
Old 11-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #514
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
What was the Kobo Forma misshap? I missed it?????
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #515
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Thanks, I still have my old one right now, did one last factory reset and downloaded just two books on it. It’s lasting a little longer, but the max I will get is two and half days by the looks of it.

I bought the 32 GB thinking I could load all my books, docs, magazines and audiobooks on it, but I suspect that even after the indexing finished (which I always check) the device battery drains quicker when the Oasis has more books loaded on it. Defeats the purpose of buying the 32 GB.

I will get an Oasis 3 if it weighs a TON, because it has such a gigantic, long-lasting battery. But if they keep prioritizing low weight, I’m out.

Yep, I gave up using my Oasis for audiobooks because I was seeing the battery count down like a percentage point every single minute or worse. What a joke.

Since I updated to the latest software, I can no longer hide my battery percentage! I think I will have to stick black tape over it if I keep this one or if (when) I have the same problem with a replacement.

Honestly, this, coupled with the Kobo Forma debacle has put me off getting a 'top of the line' ereader again. And I will never buy one again at launch, but will wait until a few months after release. I’m thinking smaller screen, fewer battery-sucking lights is suddenly seeming more of an advantage than larger screen, 12 lights etc...
I guess with my low expectations and limited use (only mobi books sideloaded) my kindle pw2 is still perfect and kicking with a 3 week battery even though I read at least 4 hours a day.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #516
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
I have the Oasis 2, and I love the device itself, but I hate the battery life. I like reading for long periods, and now I have to charge it everyday. It's like a smartphone.
I also have an Oasis 2, 32GB, 700 books on it, and read for long periods (maybe 2 - 4 hours at a stretch). I can easily go 5 to 7 days before needing to recharge. I keep WiFi on all the time, lights at 10 or 12.

I'm just now getting over a nasty cold - watery eyes, runny nose, etc. As a result, I didn't feel like reading the whole time, so the Kindle has been sitting for the last week and a half. I picked it up just now and the battery shows 94%. I don't remember the last time I charged it, but it has been at least 2 weeks.

I don't think there's a problem with the Oasis, its design, or the firmware. Rather, it seems to be the hit-or-miss nature of Chinese-sourced batteries.

Last edited by OregonJim; 11-02-2018 at 03:17 PM.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #517
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What aspect of the operation of the device do you think would drain the battery more quickly with a lot of books loaded? I currently have 9228 books on my Oasis and haven't noticed any shortening of battery life as the number of books has increased.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #518
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I wish you luck on getting a better Oasis 2. I also have the 32 gb. It was supposed to last a long time, being top end and all. I just charge the heck out of it, knowing I'm probably murdering the battery.
No you aren't. The type of lithium polymer battery that the Kindle uses doesn't mind in the least being frequently topped up.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #519
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No you aren't. The type of lithium polymer battery that the Kindle uses doesn't mind in the least being frequently topped up.
Good news for I top mine up. An OCD thing
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #520
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
What aspect of the operation of the device do you think would drain the battery more quickly with a lot of books loaded? I currently have 9228 books on my Oasis and haven't noticed any shortening of battery life as the number of books has increased.
It does take (slightly) longer to change the sort order or perform a title search, but these things have no practical impact on battery life.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #521
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
What was the Kobo Forma misshap? I missed it?????
A screen issue has come up, A stripe on the button side, some see it some don't. Other things too, each has a thread now. I was asking about the battery on the Forma compared to the Oasis 2, but so far the screen issue is a hot topic. I hope they can fix it like the Clara.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #522
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
I also have an Oasis 2, 32GB, 700 books on it, and read for long periods (maybe 2 - 4 hours at a stretch). I can easily go 5 to 7 days before needing to recharge. I keep WiFi on all the time, lights at 10 or 12.

I'm just now getting over a nasty cold - watery eyes, runny nose, etc. As a result, I didn't feel like reading the whole time, so the Kindle has been sitting for the last week and a half. I picked it up just now and the battery shows 94%. I don't remember the last time I charged it, but it has been at least 2 weeks.

I don't think there's a problem with the Oasis, its design, or the firmware. Rather, it seems to be the hit-or-miss nature of Chinese-sourced batteries.
Wow, what I would give for battery life like that! I guess I will have to try a replacement one last time then.

Can I ask when you bought your Oasis? Maybe the newer ones have sorted out this battery problem...
Old 11-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #523
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Just clutching at straws while trying to rationalize my very poor battery life.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:26 PM   #524
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
That's a good point Harry, but I was thinking more along how many more charges over all for the life of the battery. My charges would far exceed yours unless you were charging or topping off every day.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #525
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Just clutching at straws while trying to rationalize my very poor battery life.
Roughly how many hours of reading are you getting on a battery charge?

Tags
battery life, koa2