Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #1486
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Banana Bread

This is the basic recipe;
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
whisk together
in a separate bowl beat together
5 1/3 tbs butter
2/3 cup sugar
beat in the flour mixture until blended and the consistency of brown sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
fold in 1 cup (about 2) mashed very ripe bananas
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

put into loaf pan bake in a 350 oven 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean

My Modifications
I use all whole wheat pastry flour, not parts, all of it. I also use organic unrefined sugar. I put in a tablespoon of almond essence to the mashed bananas and a tsp each of cinnamon and cloves into the dry mixture. I generally triple the recipe, inevitably I have put in too many bananas so I gradually increase the flour until the batter is the correct stiffness. If I increase by more than a half cup of flour, I put in a pinch of the soda, powder, cinnamon and cloves. the bread is rarely done at 60 minutes so I turn the temp down to 300 and check it every 15 minutes. serious raves every time!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #1487
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks KK.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #1488
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I made homemade mayonnaise today (first time). It's not very good and I think the culprit is the sunflower oil I used (strong, kind of bitter aftertaste but it was either that or olive oil or a trip to the store).

Or it could have been the tarragon vinegar (I think it was the oil, though).

Anyway, I'll make it again soon and plan to use different vinegar and different oil.

Anyone have a great mayo recipe and want to share???
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #1489
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I made homemade mayonnaise today (first time). It's not very good and I think the culprit is the sunflower oil I used (strong, kind of bitter aftertaste but it was either that or olive oil or a trip to the store).

Or it could have been the tarragon vinegar (I think it was the oil, though).

Anyway, I'll make it again soon and plan to use different vinegar and different oil.

Anyone have a great mayo recipe and want to share???
I use the recipe below - it seems to work well for me.

Quote:
2 free-range egg yolks
1 free-range egg
1 tbsp French mustard
½ lemon, juice only
½ tsp caster sugar
400ml/14¼fl oz vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preparation method
Blend all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor for 10-15 seconds, or until well combined. While the motor is running, pour the oil into the food processor very slowly until the well combined and the mixture is thick and glossy.
Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
It's by the Hairy Bikers from the BBC.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #1490
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Bilbo! I'll try your recipe next week and report back.
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #1491
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Try Bilbo's recipe but substitute brown Deli mustard for the French (I'm assuming Dijon) mustard. Keep everything else the same.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #1492
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I use the recipe below - it seems to work well for me.

It's by the Hairy Bikers from the BBC.
What oil do you use? I tried making mayo with olive oil and it turned out horrible. Might have been the pasteurised egg yolks i used though... still, the oil taste was definitely wrong.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #1493
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Hmmm I've always used olive oil with no problem
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #1494
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've seen some very good comments on this recipe --> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ayonnaise.html
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #1495
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Try Bilbo's recipe but substitute brown Deli mustard for the French (I'm assuming Dijon) mustard. Keep everything else the same.
My husband likes that mustard so we have it on hand. I'll give it a go!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #1496
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
What oil do you use? I tried making mayo with olive oil and it turned out horrible. Might have been the pasteurised egg yolks i used though... still, the oil taste was definitely wrong.
I researched quite a bit before today's first attempt and was warned away from olive oil on many sites. Some suggestions were to use it only as a 'blend', otherwise the flavor was said to be too overpowering.

Most agree that a neutral oil is best. I thought my sunflower oil fell into that category, but it definitely has a bitter aftertaste.

For my second attempt, I think I'll try canola, corn, or grapeseed oil.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #1497
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've seen some very good comments on this recipe --> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ayonnaise.html
That was a great video, thanks! I used a food processor instead of the immersion blender, but if I ever get the ingredients right, I might try their method!

It's pretty easy in the food processor, though. Mine came out thick and creamy and fluffy. Woulda been perfect if not for the taste!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #1498
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
It's probably what I'd have used had I not read so much about it beforehand. I still might try it one day.

One site suggested not using the virgin oil, thus reducing the strong taste. Then again, that might be what people like about it.

We always have a good supply on hand since we like it on salads and for roasting veggies and chicken.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #1499
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Me too, me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
It's probably what I'd have used had I not read so much about it beforehand. I still might try it one day.

One site suggested not using the virgin oil, thus reducing the strong taste. Then again, that might be what people like about it.
I've always considered that Extra Virgin Olive oil had far LESS olive flavor than the slutty stuff... I use the cheap 2nd or 3rd cold press when I really WANT to the dish to scream OLIVE!!!! And use the expensive chaste oil when I want it light and virginal.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #1500
DianNC
Banned

We should probably consider buying less 'respectable' olive oil, then

So, in an attempt to salvage my disastrous first attempt at mayo, I pureed and added to it a chipotle in adobo sauce, a tiny bit of lime juice, a pinch of chili powder, a little cumin and a drop of Tabasco.

It's not horrible, but that bitter aftertaste from the sunflower oil still comes through loud and clear.

I think Bilbo's recipe might just be the ticket. I like that added smidgen of sugar.