Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #241
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There are several factors at play.

In order to have the boldness slider you need a book in KF8 (azw3) or KFX format.

In order for the kindle to extract the cover thumbnail image for a sideloaded book it needs to be in original MOBI (azw) format.

You can get the kindle to display a thumbnail for a sideloaded book in KF8 or KFX format, but only if it marked as an e-book (cdetype=EBOK) and not a personal document (cdetype not set or cdetype=PDOC). In that case if the ASIN of the book matches that of a kindle book for sale then you will get that cover thumbnail. Otherwise you can sideload your own thumbnail image if you put it in the right place ("system/thumbnails" directory) with the right name. Both calibre and the ExtractCoverThumbs program have the ability to do this.
Thanks! I used to know this about selecting Ebok instead of Pdoc, but it's been a few years since I did this, good to know this will work in azw3 this way. I'll be trying later or tomorrow. I'll do them this way, and sideload them onto my Voyage, then my Oasis when I get this. I'm too much of a perfectionist to live without the covers.

Correction: having tried that, without reading properly, I have the azw with cover and no bolding slider. So now I'm going to try put the jpeg cover I have in the correct folder, et voilà (hopefully).

Last edited by Pjama; 10-27-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #242
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, I can't see a setting to alter from PDOC to EBOK for the azw3 file I have. I'm checking other threads on this forum.
Advert
Old 10-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #243
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
I haven't tested it, but logically it should then allow a cover thumbnail to be set while losing the ability to sync reading position and annotations. (The cdetype and ASIN combined form the "key" for the book.)

That "and" is unfortunate. ASIN + location should have been enough to implement syncing... but that would be to easy for Lab126.

(just like it's was to easy for Kindles to just generate thumbnails from embedded book cover, regardless of book format & CDETYPE)
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #244
Pjama
Guru

How can I change cdetype in my azw3? There is nothing to edit that I can see in the metadata. Cf. to azw where it's obvious. So frustrating having to choose between no cover or no bold slider.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #245
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Pjama-
Are you using Calibre to convert to AZW3?..if so, there is no setting to change. If you side-load the converted AZW3 onto your kindle by using the 'send to device' in Calibre you will have both covers and bold slider ability. (Be sure to select AZW3 as the first priority format to send to your particular device)
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #246
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@Pjama-
Are you using Calibre to convert to AZW3?..if so, there is no setting to change. If you side-load the converted AZW3 onto your kindle by using the 'send to device' in Calibre you will have both covers and bold slider ability. (Be sure to select AZW3 as the first priority format to send to your particular device)
Wow, I've been tying myself in knots over this! Thanks - this worked perfectly.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #247
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
That "and" is unfortunate. ASIN + location should have been enough to implement syncing... but that would be to easy for Lab126.

(just like it's was to easy for Kindles to just generate thumbnails from embedded book cover, regardless of book format & CDETYPE)
I believe this to be intentional. They withhold features from books that were not purchased from Amazon. It gives incentive to purchase from them instead of other book stores.

For example, in older firmware versions you could sideload a cover thumbnail for a KF8 personal document. They added code to block that.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #248
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Wow, I've been tying myself in knots over this! Thanks - this worked perfectly.
Glad you've got it working
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #249
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Blocking covers for PDOCs is just spiteful. "Personal" banner was annoying but generic cover is 5x worse.

Without even considering all the newer stuff that is tied to KFX format there is still enough of things (X-Ray, Goodreads, Audiobook <> ebook sync ... ) to motivate people to buy from Amazon.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #250
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
My kindle Voyage hasn't updated yet. Do you think they are still distributing it? I usually wait rather than try to download the updates myself. I am somewhat techie, but not with my kindle. Too much to lose.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:30 PM   #251
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
3 am I reading on my PW3 Suddenly get this popup & my settings Change... I got the update...just wish it happened when I wasn't reading I Love the new settings!

These new setting are Soo much like the Kobo setting I wondering IF Kobo had a Patent on the software.....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #252
Pjama
Guru

I'm converting all my mobis to azw3 and sending them via Calibre. It's working, but taking a long time.

I've now come across a kfx format book that isn't showing a cover. It's an omnibus edition so is quite a large file. I tried deleting it from my kindle, then resent it from Manage my Content, same problem.
Then I tried deleting it and downloaded it from Manage my Content and transferred via USB to my kindle - still no cover.

Has anyone else had this problem with kfx books?

I love the new settings too, Barbara, especially as I'm returning to the kindle from a year with kobo.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #253
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I've now come across a kfx format book that isn't showing a cover.
Support for KFX in calibre is incomplete. See the first post in the KFX Output plugin thread for work-arounds to allow cover thumbnails. It takes extra work to make that happen.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #254
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Support for KFX in calibre is incomplete. See the first post in the KFX Output plugin thread for work-arounds to allow cover thumbnails. It takes extra work to make that happen.
Thanks, but I wasn't using Calibre for this file, it came from my Amazon account. That's strange, isn't it?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:16 PM   #255
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
My kindle Voyage hasn't updated yet. Do you think they are still distributing it? I usually wait rather than try to download the updates myself. I am somewhat techie, but not with my kindle. Too much to lose.
It's perfectly safe to update manually. Download the file, copy it over, and choose update your kindle from settings screen. It will not let you update if you have the wrong file.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp