Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #1021
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt5 View Post
First of all, please excuse my English.

I read the synopsis of this short novel about 15 or 20 years ago. It’s about a teenage boy whose mother is a cocaine addict. He’s in a relation with a Chinese girl, both of them dream to make a trip to China that will never happen. It also said that the story leaves you with a bittersweet feeling.
Part of your details reminded me of Requiem for a Dream (movie and book written by Hubert Selby Jr), but I watched the movie several years ago and don't remember if they dreamed about making a trip to China or not.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #1022
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm trying to recall the title of a science fiction book I read yrs ago. This young man was frozen (while alive or not I can't recall) and he is thawed in the distant future because he is the son of a man who discovered a process that extends life, but the person ages and the people of the future think he may know how they may change it (the procedure) so that they are made young again. It was something his father was working on in the distant past. I read the book way back in the late 70's or early 80's.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #1023
Karen_Bubblegum
Pulp Fictionista
Karen_Bubblegum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm trying to recall the title of a science fiction book I read yrs ago. This young man was frozen (while alive or not I can't recall) and he is thawed in the distant future because he is the son of a man who discovered a process that extends life, but the person ages and the people of the future think he may know how they may change it (the procedure) so that they are made young again. It was something his father was working on in the distant past. I read the book way back in the late 70's or early 80's.
My answer is 100% wrong, but it kinda sounds like Futurama pilot!
Karen_Bubblegum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #1024
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_Bubblegum View Post
My answer is 100% wrong, but it kinda sounds like Futurama pilot!
I'm afraid the book was out long before Futurama was imagined. Who knows though, perhaps the creator of Futurama also read the same book I did? Stranger things have probably happened.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:43 AM   #1025
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
I'm looking for a mystery series set in New York state during the 1920's or 1930's featuring a brother and sister who inherited the use of a mansion on the condition that they worked to support themselves,. I read these 10-15 years ago in DTB. Probably would be considered cozy mysteries. Thanks for any suggestions.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #1026
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I'm looking for a mystery series set in New York state during the 1920's or 1930's featuring a brother and sister who inherited the use of a mansion on the condition that they worked to support themselves,. I read these 10-15 years ago in DTB. Probably would be considered cozy mysteries. Thanks for any suggestions.

Maybe? Anything Goes by Jill Churchill

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/....Anything_Goes
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #1027
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Maybe? Anything Goes by Jill Churchill

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/....Anything_Goes
That's it! Thanks so much.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #1028
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Okay, here's my nagging memory. Read it in a library anthology, probably one of the annual bests of...

Short SF story, by Poul Anderson, I think. Might be Farmer.

A man walking down a city street meets a woman, both are amazed and delighted to discover they are telepaths. Minds touch, thrilled to know they aren't alone, discovering all the great things about each other, followed by the secret, hidden, not so nice things, the insecurities, petty moves, jealousies, hates... Disgusted, they break away swearing to forever avoid each other.

The whole encounter over in an instant.
Help?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #1029
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
"Having an education does not mean you know everything,it means you know where to look for what you want."

That sentence has been used since at least the 70's, when I was in college. Probably before that, too. I'm not sure you could find an actual attribution, of who said it first. Now, finding a recent book that uses that sentence ... hmmm.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:52 PM   #1030
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
When I was in law school back in the mid 1960s I was told that lawyers don't know the law, they know where to find and and how to read it.

I think it's an old saw.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #1031
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I suspect its one of those universal axioms.

I recall my one of my teachers, Mr Kneller, telling me something similar ~60 years ago. His version went something like: "Don't expect us to teach you everything, just make sure we tell you how to discover everything."

I would have been about 10. He is the only teacher I can recall from primary school. He was deadly with with a blackboard duster.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #1032
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
He was deadly with with a blackboard duster.

BR
Ah.. sweet memories! I can recall many of such teachers from my childhood.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #1033
skr1107
skr1107 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm trying to recall the name of an espionage novel that I read about forty years ago. I think the author was British. The protagonist was drawn as a Philby-Burgess-Maclean character. Only at the very end of the book is it revealed that he is actually a defector to the west, now facing the dreariness of official entertainment ( a Minister of Fisheries banquet ) in wintertime Ottawa.
skr1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #1034
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

D.O.N. Bradman

I hope this is the right place to ask,, please forgive me if I've erred:

Decades ago, I read a crime mystery novel set (and almost certainly written in) Australia. Its protagonist was named as above "D.O.N. Bradman". The core conceit was mildly amusing to me at the time - someone who hates cricket, but was given initials that spell out the name of the cricketing legend. I would love to re-read it and see if my initial reaction (an agreeable timepass) is confirmed after the passage of so many years, but it's impossible to Google with only that name, because EVERY result is about The Don, not "D.O.N" (putting that in quotes does not help refine the search results, sadly). I'm stumped - can anyone here bowl me over with an accurate delivery of the answer?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #1035
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A different kind of "name that book"

I'm not trying to remember something I read before, I'm looking for a historical answer. And neither Google nor Quora have been any help. Here goes:

What was the first (science?) fictional story to suppose that a criminal could be identified, captured, and/or convicted using DNA evidence?
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths