Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
6th/7th generation JB from greater than 5.6.5 firmware

This is DGA-2, not to be confused with DGA-1 in another thread.

For DGA-1, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

Actually, a collection of individual posts at the moment, perhaps someone will write-up a concise "HowTo" for this (or another) thread.

My summary of useful "Demo Mode" search bar commands:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269245

IFixKindles variation to software un-demo a "Demo Mode" Kindle:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...29&postcount=6

SKK's method to create a "Demo Mode" Kindle from a normal "Consumer Kindle":
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=25
And the following post with a few more details.

And then the software JB by BD:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265675

Not exactly obvious, but then that is probably why Lab126 didn't protect against it.

Last edited by knc1; 07-04-2016 at 10:28 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I can post the demo.bin files with debricking images (URLs to be added to the "simple debricking" pastebin).

Note to kindle owners: Please PM me if you have a demo.bin file (and please say which kindle serial number first 6-characters it belongs with). Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-02-2016 at 08:20 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An alternate method of downgrading 7th generation devices is being tested and will probably be announced (by the person doing the work) RSN.

= = = =

In summary:
Everyone can cancel their order for a serial port, USB adapter and put away their guitar picks.

Last edited by knc1; 07-03-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral

The announcement is in another thread, so to save the author any "duplicate posting" negative karma:
see: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=37

We have the files to cover the PW-2, PW-3, KT2, and KV.

So far, only the PW-2 has been successfully tested and the tests on the KV failed -
but that KV wasn't in very good shape at the time so it needs to be retested by someone else.

The KT2 and PW-3 files have not (yet) been tested.

NOTE to people interested in testing:

The process outputs messages on the serial port that we **MUST** be able to capture;
(The current PW-2 test failed to capture the information we needed, so it needs to be repeated by someone else.)

That means the tester needs one of the above devices with a serial port connection installed and the ability to capture messages across device restarts (which means Linux, since Windows drops the serial port connection across Kindle restarts).

Last edited by knc1; 07-03-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I have another PW2 I can try this on. But my time is very limited so somebody else to do this would be better, and I have not YET found a USB serial adapter (though I have many, all lost together).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I have another PW2 I can try this on. But my time is very limited so somebody else to do this would be better, and I have not YET found a USB serial adapter (though I have many, all lost together).
We REALLY, REALLY, need those progress messages written to the serial port during the process.

So leave the additional testing for someone else since you can't find your serial port hardware (and don't have all that much free time).

It is (past) time for all the technicians lurking here to stand up and be counted, rather than wait for a (very) few people to do all the work.

Last edited by knc1; 07-03-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Factory images appear to be trivial to root. However, I believe they updated the firmware in 5.7/5.8 to wipe the data store when the factory (provisioning?) process is complete.

If not, if we can get a Oasis factory recovery image and downgrade, game over. E-mail me at branchdelay at outlook dot com (else PM knc1 or NiLuJe) if you have one.

Last edited by Branch Delay; 07-03-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

I was just preparing a similar request:

Person or persons expecting a new Oasis device sometime soon:

Be ready to follow the procedure described in the first half of the first post of this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262358

This will be an image of the user's USB storage area, **before** it is used and will contain nothing personal or individually identifiable.

You don't have to do the second part, unless interested and have the background to do it.
We just need the image file created in the first part.

PM myself, NiLuJe, GeekMaster, or BD - we will give you a network address to push the image file to.

Last edited by knc1; 07-03-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #9
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I was just preparing a similar request:

Person or persons expecting an new Oasis device sometime soon:

Be ready to follow the procedure described in the first half of the first post of this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262358

You don't have to do the second part, unless interested and have the background to do it.
We just need the image file created in the first part.

PM myself, NiLuJe, GeekMaster, or BD - we will give you a network address to push the image file to.
Also recommend a mod sticky something recommending anyone with any Kindle device looking to jailbreak past 5.6.5 to not update at the moment.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Right!
Just in case Lab126 is reading and can turn out a way to block this approach before we get it ready for use.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #11
Branch Delay
Connoisseur

As a note, I think new devices are now formatted correctly from the factory and no longer have the factory binary in free space.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
As a note, I think new devices are now formatted correctly from the factory and no longer have the factory binary in free space.
They are too late to save anything except the Oasis from us - we already have files for the other models.

And somewhere out there, there is an "Oasis Demo" Kindle.
We need someone to get a hold of one of those before Lab126 protects it.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #13
Branch Delay
Connoisseur

Just verified a Kindle Voyage 5.7.3 downgrade to 5.6.1.1 then to 5.6.5. Won't post what I did because it was a little dumb, but it's working. Probably can skip the 5.6.5 jailbreak with a little more time.

Last edited by Branch Delay; 07-03-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:19 PM   #14
swifty
Enthusiast
swifty began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I'd like to write a detailed guide but I think I need the 2013 pw2 demo.bin file, right? 90D4

Who can post the file for me?
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:53 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I'd like to write a detailed guide but I think I need the 2013 pw2 demo.bin file, right? 90D4

Who can post the file for me?
Is a 90D4 a 2G or a 4G PW-2?

= = = =

Hang in there until tomorrow, the off-site recovery image archives should be updated by then with new links.

We are also working on a jb for the 8th generation device(s), since we happen to be in that sort of mood this weekend.

Last edited by knc1; 07-04-2016 at 12:09 AM.