Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Onyx Boox C67 ML (Carta)

I recently sold a couple of my old devices on eBay, and decided to buy the Carta C67 ML from Banggood. It arrived a couple of days ago. One of my older devices was a C67 ML (Pearl). I don't have the two of them to do a side-by-side comparison, but my other eReader now is a Boyue T62+ (also Carta), so I'll offer a few comments in comparison with it.

What's new with this new C67? Well, we have a Carta display and 8 GB of storage. Everything else is the same, as far as I can see. Even things that could have been improved with the extra storage space weren't. I'm thinking especially of the 350 MB that the "old" C67 offered for user apps. This new version offers the same 350 MB. So, either be really selective with what apps you install (even with the ability to move at least parts of some apps to internal SD), or root your device and check out apps that allow you to move apps to external SD. You'd think that with all that extra storage in there, Onyx could have given us more space for user apps!

The kernel is unchanged. If you root and use a CPU management app, you'll find only one speed available - 912 MHz. Maximum or minimum. That's it. The CPU runs at top speed all the time. Performance is good, but battery life takes a hit.

There are other little signs that things were done a bit hastily. When I check out storage, I'm told that the total storage is 4 GB, but that I have 6.16 GB of free space! The firmware needs tweaking to fix those little details.

However, there is a lot to like about the C67. There is that extra internal storage space, which is now equal to the Boyue T62. (The T62 gives you 1 GB for user apps, so it still wins that contest.) The C67 has a whiter background than the T62, so contrast is quite good. The Boyue T62 has a creamier background. The C67 comes with Google Play Store pre-installed. It feels light and easy to hold for long periods. The backlight on my unit is quite uniform. I have to look really closely to see any shadowing or lighter spots. Banggood sells the C67 with a case from Onyx. However, Banggood chooses the color, apparently. I got a black one, which actually looks good with the black C67. Battery life isn't as good as the Boyue T62, but the Boyue has a lot more battery stuffed into its casing. Build quality seems fine. Everything works well so far. I haven't tried the audio features yet, but I don't use that in an eReader anyway.

You get the same pre-installed choices for reader apps as other Onyx devices, and can always install others. I like Neo Reader for some things, but for most books, I prefer Onyx Reader. If you have a C67 (or any Onyx device), all the font/margin/etc. options will be familiar. Again, nothing new here.

If you already have a C67 ML Pearl, it may not be worth upgrading. But, if you are looking at one for the first time, I can recommend it. As long as you are okay with the 350 MB user app limitation (or can work around it) and the so-so battery life (the same as the previous C67), you may find this a very good solution. The Boyue T62 wins out in user app space and battery life, but the C67 wins out in portability and contrast. The C67 Carta is a bit more expensive than its older Pearl brother, so that might also be a consideration.

Feel free to ask if you have questions about the C67 Carta.

PS: Although Play Store is pre-installed, Play Store and Google Play Services are in that 350 MB user app partition. That effectively reduces what's available for user apps to about 260 MB, as Play Store and Play Services add up to 90 MB and can't be moved to internal SD.

Last edited by downeaster59; 06-05-2015 at 08:22 AM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Junior
Enthusiast
Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx FireFly & Onyx C67ML 8Gb Carta & Asus TF101G
Hi,
On Monday, I got the book from Banggood too,
The Carta is great but there are questions,

Can not replace screensavers,from menu function is inactive.

At the Onyx website says that it is present in the past firmware

http://www.onyx-international.com/in...1-7-7-20150212
Senior Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Junior View Post
Hi,
On Monday, I got the book from Banggood too,
The Carta is great but there are questions,

Can not replace screensavers,from menu function is inactive.

At the Onyx website says that it is present in the past firmware

http://www.onyx-international.com/in...1-7-7-20150212
Yes, I looked for the screensaver function, but could not find it at first. On mine, it is also inactive. I haven't tried changing the screensaver yet, so I don't know how to make that function active. Perhaps someone else in this forum will help.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Junior
Enthusiast
Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Senior Junior ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cleary, of course me too
By the way
On Onyx Cleopatra(Russian edition of T76ML) at internation(german) firmware screensavers replacement works fine.
Now five o'clock battery charging and only 91%.
I use the charger from the Onyx Firefly

P.S.
New beta firmware for Carta
http://onyx-international.com/index....-rc-2015-04-22

But download without registration impossible

Last edited by Senior Junior; 06-06-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Cleary, of course me too
By the way
On Onyx Cleopatra(Russian edition of T76ML) at internation(german) firmware screensavers replacement works fine.
Now five o'clock battery charging and only 91%.
I use the charger from the Onyx Firefly

P.S.
New beta firmware for Carta
http://onyx-international.com/index....-rc-2015-04-22

But download without registration impossible
If you have a download manager, copy the baidu adress and paste it in it. Authorise the source (baidu) if necessary and you will be able to download it. Now if only someone could port this for the t62+ / energy pro +
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #6
Senior Junior
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
If you have a download manager, copy the baidu adress and paste it in it. Authorise the source (baidu) if necessary and you will be able to download it. Now if only someone could port this for the t62+ / energy pro +
Hi,
I tried to use for this "Internet Download Manager"
And these instructions
http://demy-arashi.tumblr.com/post/8...-files-without

But without success

Porting for T62+ promised to do in June at 4pda.ru user with nick FOV5,message #771

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=624345&st=760

This is Russian forum try to translate with Google

Last edited by Senior Junior; 06-06-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi,
I tried to use for this "Internet Download Manager"
And these instructions
http://demy-arashi.tumblr.com/post/8...-files-without

But without success

Porting for T62+ promised to do in June at 4pda.ru user with nick FOV5,message #771

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=624345&st=760

This is Russian forum try to translate with Google
Try JDownloader. It worked for me...
Old 06-07-2015, 04:28 AM   #8
Senior Junior
Enthusiast

All the great things are simple
Have a nice weekend !
Old 06-07-2015, 04:33 AM   #9
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:

Have a nice weekend !
Happy that it worked. Have a great weekend too !!
Old 06-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:

Have a nice weekend !
It's the simple things that seem to be beyond me! I tried to download the beta firmware using JDownloader, but it never starts downloading. It will ask me to fill in a captcha every now and then, but nothing actually downloads. What did you do to get it to work? Thanks for your help!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #11
Senior Junior
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
It's the simple things that seem to be beyond me! I tried to download the beta firmware using JDownloader, but it never starts downloading. It will ask me to fill in a captcha every now and then, but nothing actually downloads. What did you do to get it to work? Thanks for your help!
Hi,
I just entered in JD path "http://pan.baidu.com/s/1qWwUK6g" via Windows clipboard.
Yes,server 5 times tested me,forced to enter 4 letters(captcha),but did not stop downloads.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
Senior Junior
Enthusiast

Good news
In the new firmware screensavers replacement works fine and has appeared Moon Light on a taskbar.

Mistake on a second screen,picture is B/W

Last edited by Senior Junior; 06-07-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #13
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Good news
In the new firmware screensavers replacement works fine and has appeared Moon Light on a taskbar.

Mistake on a second screen,picture is B/W
Oh, could you please test the new version of Neo Reader and tell us what you think please ..?

Re JDownloader : make sure you accept Baidu's TOC (you may have to reset the link for the TOC window to appear). As soon as you do, off it downloads. No need for captcha, it never asked me for one..

Last edited by aceflor; 06-07-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #14
Senior Junior
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Oh, could you please test the new version of Neo Reader and tell us what you think please ..?

Re JDownloader : make sure you accept Baidu's TOC (you may have to reset the link for the TOC window to appear). As soon as you do, off it downloads. No need for captcha, it never asked me for one..
Mostly I read imaginative literature in fb2 format.
Ok, I tried to read pdf,"The Wolves in the Walls" by Neil Gaiman.
At first glance, everything is good
Old 06-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #15
downeaster59
Wizard

After getting nowhere with JDownloader, I started tinkering on the Baidu site itself and got the update to download on my Mac. I then installed it on my new C67 ML Carta.

The first difference I see is that there is now an icon at the bottom of the home page that allows you to access the brightness control for the frontlight. Before this, you had to open the notifications drop-down window and do it that way. There are a few new menu items here and there. I haven't had a chance to explore them yet.

As for Neo Reader: when I had a Boox before, I preferred Onyx Reader and didn't care much for Neo, so I didn't use Neo very much. But I have been exploring Neo now and am liking what I see. It has many more customization options than Onyx Reader does. I haven't tried it with a pdf yet, but ePubs look fine on it. It needs a few more font options, but it may well become my go-to reader.

It should be possible, in theory, using the Kitchen tools in the Android reader threads, to make a system.img of this ROM and then install it on the Boyue T62+. I have a Mac with Windows 8.1 running on a VM. Some of the tools work on my Windows, and some do not. I also own a T62+. When I have a little time, I may play around with it and see if enough of the tools work for me to let me do this.