Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2019, 07:15 AM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yeah, that is why I never bothered with Kindle for PC. It might be easier once it is setup, but I just got used to download the books from the webpage for transfer via usb for an eink Kindle that stays registered to my account. Works on any OS, windows, macos, linux the same without jumping through hoops.
That's what I do as well. It works fine and was fairly easy to set up.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #32
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Yeah, that is why I never bothered with Kindle for PC. It might be easier once it is setup, but I just got used to download the books from the webpage for transfer via usb for an eink Kindle that stays registered to my account. Works on any OS, windows, macos, linux the same without jumping through hoops.
Yes...this. Even if you don't want to use a Kindle for reading, you can get one used for very cheap. As long as it can be registered to your Amazon account, that's all you need to be able to download directly from Amazon's website.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #33
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think you make it sound more risky than it is. I've had Kindle for PC installed for years In Tools, Options I unchecked 'Automatically install updates" and that's all the tinkering I've ever done.

If you like the Amazon market, but you aren't crazy about Kindles, it's worth trying it.
I also do this and have never had a problem or felt the need to purchase a Kindle.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I also do this and have never had a problem or felt the need to purchase a Kindle.
Apache
Me too, even though I have many eink Kindles. Using the PC app is just faster and easier.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Same here. Since I use Linux, Kindle for PC is not an option. Downloading via USB is easy and, if I didn't want to do anything with my old Kindle Basic (4/5) No Touch, I would never have to charge it or use it. But I do use it, partly because Send to Kindle documents choke on the newer Kindle firmware releases but work fine on the old Kindles.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The real eInk Kindle is fine. The Fire is just a locked into Amazon "Android Tablet". The Real Kindles are not a focus of these events.

All the other Amazon HW is either "meh" or toxic, esp the Echo, though Google stuff is more Privacy exploitive.

The Amazon Kindle for PC worked on Linux (via WINE) originally, when I still had Windows*. Now I don't have Windows and the older "Kindle for PC" won't work (can't connect) and later ones won't install. So we all use "Transfer to Kindle via USB" option when buying Amazon eBooks and then use the serial number off our real Kindle if we need to convert to epub for larger Kobo or small Sony PRS350.

The other Kindle tools need real Windows too.
(* We do have 2x old games PC, 32bit XP and 64bit Win7. The Win10 Tablet is garbage and only used for PDFs)

Last edited by Quoth; 09-15-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #37
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Same here. Since I use Linux, Kindle for PC is not an option. Downloading via USB is easy and, if I didn't want to do anything with my old Kindle Basic (4/5) No Touch, I would never have to charge it or use it. But I do use it, partly because Send to Kindle documents choke on the newer Kindle firmware releases but work fine on the old Kindles.
Hmmm...I have 100s of Send to Kindle documents, and I read them on my newer Kindles all the time. I just read one last week. What do you mean when you say that they "choke on the newer Kindle firmware releases"? Are you getting an error, or are they causing lockups on your device, or...?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:15 PM   #38
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
I think you make it sound more risky than it is. I've had Kindle for PC installed for years In Tools, Options I unchecked 'Automatically install updates" and that's all the tinkering I've ever done.

If you like the Amazon market, but you aren't crazy about Kindles, it's worth trying it.

Me too. and I have calibre set to automatically suck the books in.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:29 AM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Hmmm...I have 100s of Send to Kindle documents, and I read them on my newer Kindles all the time. I just read one last week. What do you mean when you say that they "choke on the newer Kindle firmware releases"? Are you getting an error, or are they causing lockups on your device, or...?
Yep, lock ups. I've been getting them since a couple releases back (both on my Paperwhite and on my Basic). I think I detailed some of the issues in the newest firmware thread. I'll have to try to load a Send to Kindle in to see exactly what the error is. (Now that I've got my old Kindles up here in Idaho, I've just been reading these documents in my Kindle Keyboard.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #40
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Me too. and I have calibre set to automatically suck the books in.
Yes. In Calibre go to Preferences/Adding Books/Automatic Adding
Here you specify the folder where Kindle for PC places your books.
Next time Calibre opens it will add all books in the directory and the apprentice will do his magic.
Note the books are then deleted from the folder.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #41
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
I was looking at Kindle Fire HD10 yesterday on Amazon -- they are out of stock for all 64G models and currently only have the 32G in black. No availability dates provided for the other colors or 64G models.
I have a very strong suspicion a replacement for the HD 10 is imminent.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #42
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:

And....if you didn't have the foresight to already do that....THEN....you'll find the current Kindle app/Calibre/<certain plugin> combo doesn't work on all books, or even most books.

Then you must hunt down an older version of the kindle app. It's fidgety is all I'm saying. I stand by my recommendation that it's best to buy the eInk reader from the store you buy most of your books from.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #43
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I wouldn't mind a liquavista ereader.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post
I was looking at Kindle Fire HD10 yesterday on Amazon -- they are out of stock for all 64G models and currently only have the 32G in black. No availability dates provided for the other colors or 64G models.
I have a very strong suspicion a replacement for the HD 10 is imminent.
It's two years old, so it's pretty much likely that a new one is in the offing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #45
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I stand by my recommendation that it's best to buy the eInk reader from the store you buy most of your books from.
Or conversely, it's best to buy your ebooks from the store linked to your device(s).

I was slow to this realization and would buy from Amazon just because that was the link I happened on. Bad choice, I realize now that I tend to go for the direct download and skip the interim download-to-computer-and-import-into-Calibre step. I'm not worried about either Kobo or Kindle doing a midnight flit and I'll future-proof my purchases if it becomes necessary; doesn't seem worth the bother now. But there are still those pesky books bought back in the day where I need to jump through the hoops to get 'em on my Kobo. Lesson learned.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote