Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
enzio00
R.I.P. Kindle 4
enzio00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Unhappy Is there any hope for my Kindle? (Kindle 4, probably broken screen)

Hi!

My Kindle fell from my desk today. I heard a quite loud "crack" and when I picked it up, it had a smudge on one side. The screen was unresponsive, when I tried pressing the Power button, only a few lines appeared on the screen. The reset feature wouldn't work.

Here's a picture: http://imgur.com/k3MPfue

What should I do? Is it a broken screen? Should I contact Amazon? It's out of warranty...

Thanks very much!
enzio00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Absolutely classic image of a broken screen substrate, I'm sorry to say. You've fractured the thin layer of glass that's under the outer plastic screen. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but for heaven's sake, when you replace it, buy a case.

Contact Kindle CS. They are remarkably generous on occasions. The very least they will do is offer you a nice discount on a replacement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
enzio00
R.I.P. Kindle 4

Thanks very much! Or, rather not, I was hoping it wouldn't be the case... I'm quite low on money right now. Is there a good third-party site that sells screens?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be honest, replacing the screen is probably going to cost you more than replacing the device, after the discount that Amazon will give you for doing so.

Another thing you could do is look out for a 2nd-hand one - eg in the "Flea Market" forum here at MR. People are constantly selling old devices, and now is a good time to buy, with the recent release of new Kindle models.

But the first thing I'd do is phone Kindle CS. They are very nice people, and it's not unknown for them to offer a free replacement. At least see what they have to say.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I would like to echo Harry's comment:

Yes, this is a broken substrate. There's nothing you can do to fix it yourself.

If it's recently out of warranty, Amazon may give you a discount for another purchase. It won't hurt to get in touch with them.

The important thing is: BUY A CASE TO PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
enzio00
R.I.P. Kindle 4

Thanks very much! Is there any way to give you "points" for your help?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's what we're here for . "Thank you" is quite sufficient.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzio00 View Post
Thanks very much! Is there any way to give you "points" for your help?

Harry and I are both Moderators here.

We have a system called 'Karma,' which you may want to check out. (I don't have the link on that at this exact moment.)

However, let me also say, 'welcome to Mobileread.' I'm sorry we both had to give you some bad news.

Don
(Moderator)
Old 11-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
enzio00
R.I.P. Kindle 4

Well, never mind! It was my best friend for nearly 3 years... But thanks very much for the fast help!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Here's an Introduction to the Karma System:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104757

Don
(Moderator)
Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Do let us know what Amazon offer you. It's always good to know.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
In you're interested, Best Buy will be selling the current basic Kindle for $50 during Black Friday.

Oh, and welcome aboard
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
enzio00
R.I.P. Kindle 4

That's a very good deal! Sadly, I don't live in the USA.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Can you put your location in your profile, please? It'll make it easier for people to give you relevant help that way .
Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzio00 View Post
That's a very good deal! Sadly, I don't live in the USA.
Darn! I know, why not move here? I live in Seattle and we have plenty of room.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken screen, kindle