Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
man1337
man1337 began at the beginning.

Device: boox m92
Used DX or new Paperwhite?

Hello everyone,

I'm deciding whether to buy a used kindle dx with two and a half years or a new paperwhite (for about the same price). I read a lot of manga and pdf's (mainly academic, like textbooks).

Does the size of the dx compensate for the fact that it hasn't been updated for over 4 years?

Do I need to be concerned about buying a kindle dx with over 2 years, battery, button issues, etc?

If I decide to buy the DX, what typical problems should I be aware of?

Thank you.
man1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The DX models (there are 3 of them) do not have wifi connectivity. So if you plan to send 3rd party content wirelessly, that will involve delivery charges. On the paperwhite wireless delivery over wifi is free.

The web browser is much better on the paperwhite, though its 3g usage is restricted to a handful of domains.

'Except for the larger screen' paperwhite has better pdf support. In particular, pdf bookmarks ('TOC') and links are supported, and you can create annotations. Zoom and pan, as well as auto cropping and column navigation modes. But 'better' does not mean 'great' by any means. You can install something called Duokan on the DX for something claiming 'better' pdf support (also support for epub).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
man1337

Thank you for your help tomsen, but I think I will purchase the 2nd hand DX. I just held a kindle 4 today (same size as paperwhite) and the screen is really small for my purposes.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I own and love both.
It all depends on how you want to consume your media.
If you like to send web articles, have lots of "personal document" books in your archive, and want an all around better web experience, go with the Paperwhite.
It has x (3?) years of UI improvements which make a big difference in my eyes.
And my DX doesn't get touched anytime after the sun goes down.

But the DX is great, perfect for sitting outside with a cigar on a summer day.
Free unlimited 3G, etc.

If it had wifi, and I could send my web articles to it without hooking it to a pc, would make it so much better.

I see no reason why not to own both
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Buy a new DX, Amazon just started reselling them (I think today). It includes 3G (no wifi-only version) and costs $299. Yay!!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
man1337

I just bought a used DX and it turns out the user almost didn't touch it, it's as new. I'm glad I decided to, as the bigger screen is so much better than the tiny one on paperwhite.
Thanks for all the tips!