Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #16
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Jon sweetie, I said "ereading."
I was going to point that out to him, but then I thought maybe he was making the comment to someone else.

I don't personally have a problem with someone calling an ebook reader an ereader. I can generally figure out from the context whether they are talking about the software, a particular type of ebook reader, or just using the term generally.

But, everybody has something that just rubs them the wrong way. (For me, it's stating opinions as fact ... but then we all know that about me.)
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:59 AM   #17
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
JAAARBNR

Or "just another article about readers by a non-reader". Also, in this case, a non-reader lacking a vision.

Today's business is all about growth and there is definitely a growing market for e-book readers. The book business is far from dead and the future is e-future. With the current generation devices, the e-book readers have put a foot in the door. If the next generation will meet my expectations, the paper book will soon become a luxury and exotic item.

Btw, most of the reviewers keep crying about the price. I have no problem with the price in the $300-$400 range; I have a problem with functionality. Without text search, checking anything in the read part of a book is clumsy and impractical on the PRS-505. Give me text search and a dictionary/Wikipedia lookup and I will gladly pay more to get much more than a paper book.
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #18
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I was going to point that out to him, but then I thought maybe he was making the comment to someone else.

I don't personally have a problem with someone calling an ebook reader an ereader. I can generally figure out from the context whether they are talking about the software, a particular type of ebook reader, or just using the term generally.

But, everybody has something that just rubs them the wrong way. (For me, it's stating opinions as fact ... but then we all know that about me.)
Well, in my opinion, you're just wrong!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
Come on!!

What would you call someone who reads electronic books? Someone who, using a personal electronic device, reads digitized books? I don't think so.

Yes eReader is software. As far as I'm concerned, an ereader is 'Someone who etc, etc'. Especially on a forum like this. Dixie Gal wrote "ereader", not eReader, you know. And, but the way just why should we not "...use the term eReader in such a way that does not refer to either the software or the format." Does it personally disturb you or is this Forum policy? We're all friends here, are we not?
The reason I make the distinction is not due to forum policy. It's due to the fact that some people have been confused by the multiple uses of the term eReader. ereader, e-reader, etc and actually purchased eReader format eBook(s) for their device that does not support it. It also didn't help that Fictionwise says it's the preferred format. But still, if we stick to using that word as it was originally ment, then this sort of confusion might not happen.

As for what I would call someone who read electronic books... a reader. Same as I'd call someone who read pBooks....a reader.

Besides, if you are going to use ereader to mean someone who reads eBooks, why not use the equally awfal term of preader for someone who read pBooks? And what do you call someone like myself who reads both eBooks and pBooks and has actually started reading a pBook and then finished it with the eBook edition?

So if we use this simple bit of etiquette and not misuse the term eReader then there won't be the confusion there is/might be now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #20
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Back to Topic everybody...

I'd say Amazon knows very well that there is money to be made and that a shift from pbook to ebook will eventually happen anyway. It won#t be fast, and it won't be easy, but happen it will.

Some people (like Steve Jobs) think that reading is a dying art, but I don't think so, and it appears that I am not alone in that belief.
There have been loads of articles bashing ebok and ereading devices over the years, and still the ebook trend has become more and more mainstream with ever more books being available as ebooks and prices starting to drop (sometiomes) as well, and I'd much rather believe what I can see with my own eyes than what some so-called journalist writes on some blog or in a magazine...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #21
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:

Agreed RickyMaveety..Not everyone is anal retentive about words.. I call My Cybook Gen3 an ereader to my friends and they get it from "context".... Most people get it from conext..... And words have more than one meaning sometimes....n'est pas?

hidari
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For me, reading has never been a dying art. I've loved to read since I was a child. I've been the type to mostly have a pBook with me. Now it's my 505 that travels with me. When I read I tend to forget the device and focus on the book.

As long as the device can fade into the background and the story be the main focus then it doesn't matter f it's a Kindle, 505, iLiad, V3, Gen3, iPod Touch. But if you are focusing too much on the device while you read, then that device is not the one for you. Reading is not going to go away. It may change in how we read. But we will still read. And will we read more? For electronic readers to truly be successful, we need to do something about the price and tower of eBable. Once we know prices are reasonable and we can get any electronic reader and go to any eBook shop online and get any of the offerings and know we can view it on whatever device we have, then it will be a success.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #23
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Until Jon started hammering on it I never realized there was a difference between the terms "e-reader" and "e-book reader". I think its good to know the definitions. Yes, we can understand what people mean by inference, but I appreciate Jon's trying to educate us. It isn't such a big deal, knowing the proper term to use, is it?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #24
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Well, in my opinion, you're just wrong!
oh, pshrynk .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Until Jon started hammering on it I never realized there was a difference between the terms "e-reader" and "e-book reader". I think its good to know the definitions. Yes, we can understand what people mean by inference, but I appreciate Jon's trying to educate us. It isn't such a big deal, knowing the proper term to use, is it?
It's great to know the difference. It's even better to know where Jon's buttons are (should we care to push them and make his life hell).
Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I'd say Amazon knows very well that there is money to be made and that a shift from pbook to ebook will eventually happen anyway. It won#t be fast, and it won't be easy, but happen it will.
We can't even move to the Metric system in the US... people said we would be using it 100% by 1980 I think originally. Heck, we can't even get rid of the paper US$ bill... even though it has been planned twice now and not followed through on and information shows that it would save us millions of $ a year to do. ARGH!!!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #26
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
We can't even move to the Metric system in the US... people said we would be using it 100% by 1980 I think originally. Heck, we can't even get rid of the paper US$ bill... even though it has been planned twice now and not followed through on and information shows that it would save us millions of $ a year to do. ARGH!!!

BOb
Ah, but see ... neither of those involves a new "gadget." You know what suckers we Americans are for gadgets. Especially if they are black and shiney. Sparkly is good too.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Ah, but see ... neither of those involves a new "gadget." You know what suckers we Americans are for gadgets. Especially if they are black and shiney. Sparkly is good too.
But the new $ coin was a new "gadget" is shiny... even "golden" in some of the many implementations... I actually like the "golden" Sacagawea coin much better than the new Presidential ones.

They just have to remove the paper $1 from circulation and people will have no choice but to start using coins. But, I don't think this will happen with books!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
oh, pshrynk .....

It's great to know the difference. It's even better to know where Jon's buttons are (should we care to push them and make his life hell).

Now you are just being mean...........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #29
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Now you are just being mean...........
Fixed it for ya!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #30
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
About the eReader thing: we have had new members saying that they have bought a book in eReader format and then discovering that they can't use it on their Sony. They get very disappointed when we tell them this.
Jon is trying to make sure that no one else falls for this confusion.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote