Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
How does Calibre deal with books emailed to the Kindle 4?

Hi there,

I have a question about how Calibre handles books that have been emailed to my Kindle.com address.

If I add a book to my calibre library and use the 'Connect/Share' feature to email that book to my Kindle address what happens the enxt time I connect my indle to my PC via USB? Does Calibre know to expect that book on the device, or will it try to transfer a second copy across?

What about books I have emailed to my Kindle.com address /without/ adding them to my Calibre library? Will Calibre import them, or do I need to manually add the same files into Calibre first?

Rob
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Calibre does not automatically send books to your device. The only exception is news and this can be disabled. When you connect your Kindle calibre should put a green check mark next to the book showing that the book is both in your library and on your device.

Calibre also does not automatically add books from your device to the library. You would have to do this manually.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
So, if I use Calibre to email the bok to my Kindle when I next connect will it know it is already there ( i.e. automatically put the green tick) or is that something I need to remember to do?

If I forget and tell calibre to download the book over USB does it overwrite the one previously emailed? Will I lose reading position and notes/bookmarks if I do this?

Rob
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
So, if I use Calibre to email the bok to my Kindle when I next connect will it know it is already there ( i.e. automatically put the green tick) or is that something I need to remember to do?
It happens automatically. However, it's not an exact science. It looks at the metadata of the books on the device and compares it to books in your library. This way you can have matches without the file being exactly the same. Depending on how much the book on your device varies from the book in your library calibre can't always determine they're the same book. The majority of the time you won't have any problem and get the marker as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
If I forget and tell calibre to download the book over USB does it overwrite the one previously emailed? Will I lose reading position and notes/bookmarks if I do this?
I don't know but I would assume you would lose the reading position and what not.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote