Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2007, 01:37 AM   #1
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Unhappy Book Designer Sounds & Page Breaks

First of all... I do love Book Designer. Thanks for all the hard work.

1. The sound used for all BD feedback seemed quite annoying - always the same gunshot sound - so I turned it off. When I went to the program directories to see if i could change it for something gentler I was surprised to find a whole selection of sounds next to the irksome GUNSHOT.WAV. What am I doing wrong that BD is only playing the gunshot and not the "pretty" sounds?

2. I've tried without success to make custom page breaks in BD. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. I have tried with user page breaks checked and unchecked.

I advance to where i want to insert the break and click on one of the three BR buttons on the Corrector menu sidebar. Usually break before the selected paragraph. Sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't.

I'm new to BD so it may just be me...

A related issue is that there seems to normally be a pagebreak before every title. When I tried to generate a page break by using a second title within two paragraphs of the first, it did not make the automatic page break.

These are small issues, but I'd like to find out what im doing wrong, as I will be using BD quite a bit in the months ahead...

Thanks
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitolee
2. I've tried without success to make custom page breaks in BD. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. I have tried with user page breaks checked and unchecked.

I advance to where i want to insert the break and click on one of the three BR buttons on the Corrector menu sidebar. Usually break before the selected paragraph. Sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't.
Strange - page breaks work fine for me provided you have "User Page Breaks" set on the options screen.

Quote:
A related issue is that there seems to normally be a pagebreak before every title. When I tried to generate a page break by using a second title within two paragraphs of the first, it did not make the automatic page break.
That's correct - if you have a second title on the same page as the first, you don't get an automatic page break at the 2nd one. Just insert a manual page break before the 2nd title - that works fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
I've found that my defined page breaks work if i have "page breaks" unchecked and "user page breaks" checked. With these settings, you'll need to define page breaks for yourself.

This can be useful if you want to define "Chapter One" as a subtitle before the real name of the chapter (for the A-type personality trying to maintain the original book as closely as possible) so that the page break happens before the chapter number, yet the true chapter name is defined in the table of contents.
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I swapped out the sound file with one more to my liking and just renamed it to the gunshot. This way I don't have to keep looking at the screen to see when it finishes.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
aw3524
aw3524 began at the beginning.

Sorry, didn't really see this anywhere, but how do I set up a table of contents in BookDesigner?
aw3524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw3524
Sorry, didn't really see this anywhere, but how do I set up a table of contents in BookDesigner?
An easy question. First, if you haven't already, pick up a copy of HarryT's excellent BookDesigner Tutorial. Also check out the MobileRead Wiki page on BookDesigner for other information.

The short answer to TOC creation is to enable the TOC function in BD and then to make sure that there are entries identified as Chapter Titles (or simply Titles in BD.) This is done through Tools|Element Browser from the BD upper menu.

When BD loads a file it tries to identify Chapter titles as best it can. Many times it misses a few and sometimes it identifies some lines as titles that are not titles and these must be corrected. Harry offers some good suggestions for this.

Remember that in the normal view within the CONNECT software on the PC the TOC will not be displayed. To see the TOC you must go into the full screen mode and then select the icon on the right of the screen to see the TOC in a popup window.

For most books the simple TOC mentioned above will be enough. When you go to multivolume books such as the Sherlock Holmes that HarryT posted then you need the more complex TOC described in detail in his tutorial.

It is easier to do than the explaination is to read. (Yes, I stole that line from Harry. )
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
For most books the simple TOC mentioned above will be enough. When you go to multivolume books such as the Sherlock Holmes that HarryT posted then you need the more complex TOC described in detail in his tutorial.
I like to add a "manual" TOC to every book, simply because I like having them. That's purely a personal preference though - as you say, single (or simple) books very often don't need them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner