Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #16
jobzombi
jobzombi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I wonder how it works with my head...aches. One reason I did not opt for the fire was that I wanted an e-ink reader. Reading stuff on an lcd for too long just hurts my head. Being that it has not internal backlight, as in LCDs, and depends on a natural source, akin to paper, the sun, I wonder if it would work the same. Both e-ink and this mirasol depend on the reflection of light to be seen, but one has mirrors, the other does not. Or maybe I am not fully understanding how it works. It would be nice to see something like e-ink, ie looks and feels just like reading a book or magazine, but with color and done cheaply and effectively. Maybe a few mor eyears to see Qualcomm get it right.
jobzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #17
jobzombi

Wow never mind looks amazing. I want one now. If only it were not $500 on ebay plus $100 insurance, plus extra shipping insurance, plus I don't know Korean and I am not sure how much support it will have for english books as it has its own UI. Although it does use Android so the would the kindle app work on it?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #18
JimStar
Enthusiast
JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kyobo eReader, Sony PRS-950, PocketBook Pro 902, PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzombi View Post
I want one now. If only it were not $500 on ebay plus $100 insurance, plus extra shipping insurance, plus I don't know Korean
The device itself - Kyobo eReader $349
Plus ~ $50 for wonderful help of CollectKorea shopping service, I am very pleased with their work. They just bought it for me, and I didn't need to know Korean (they speak English).
Plus shipping in your country...
I got it in total about $440-450...

But, as I wrote, I didn't try to root it or to install a plain Android - my current work eats all my time... So - no guarantee that you can unlock it and install apps or change the korean Home app, or change the english-korean keyboard... Perhaps I will try it, but later, when I will have more time for it...
But at the time - it can read books in ePub and PDF from SD-card, it can browse internet, it can sync with Google exchange account (read and send mail, etc...), and it is enough for my wife (she use it, not me, I bought it to just touch this new Mirasol tech with my hands and just played with it ).
JimStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStar View Post
The device itself - Kyobo eReader $349
Plus ~ $50 for wonderful help of CollectKorea shopping service, I am very pleased with their work. They just bought it for me, and I didn't need to know Korean (they speak English).
Plus shipping in your country...
I got it in total about $440-450...

But, as I wrote, I didn't try to root it or to install a plain Android - my current work eats all my time... So - no guarantee that you can unlock it and install apps or change the korean Home app, or change the english-korean keyboard... Perhaps I will try it, but later, when I will have more time for it...
But at the time - it can read books in ePub and PDF from SD-card, it can browse internet, it can sync with Google exchange account (read and send mail, etc...), and it is enough for my wife (she use it, not me, I bought it to just touch this new Mirasol tech with my hands and just played with it ).
Everyone, I'm trying this service. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That is the spirit. I would get one, too; if they had a larger screen size.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #21
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Quote:
I'm right behind you.
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #22
jobzombi

I'd like to get one for my girl's mother. She's korean and saw my touch and was wondering about getting korean books on that. I'm sure a Korean ereader would be better. I just like the idea of the color screen with similar benefits as e-ink.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #23
JimStar
Enthusiast
JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!JimStar rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzombi View Post
I just like the idea of the color screen with similar benefits as e-ink.
Don't forget that not only "color" is a benefit, but a lot better refresh speed too - display is not as fast as TFT (I don't know, perhaps it is a slower graphic controller, not display itself), but it is full interactive and even enough to play video... I would be satisfied with black-white eInk browsing - but I tried to use my Sony 950 to browse internet and that is a PAIN as refresh rate of display is terrible for that use, you can't use browser in interactive mode...
And in Mirasol - energy consuming better than eInk, plus display refresh speed and color (and no "ghost-images" after refresh). And only one drawback with this more dark background than in eInk... But as I already wrote, I believe they will fix it in later versions, I very hope it... As the technology itself is very cool...
Old 12-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #24
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nate, I'll wait to see how your purchase turns out and what you can actually do with the reader as a non Korean-speaking person outside of Korea.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #25
zinj
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStar

I have not tried yet to install applications or a plain Android on it - but even in this state it is relatively well usable.
I know you said you haven't had much time with the reader yet, but can you tell me specifically what you CAN do with it? I assume the Kyobo bookstore frontend shell is useless and you can get to the android behind it? If you can install apps through Getjar or something that would be all you need.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #26
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My unit arrived today. I'm still trying tio figure out how to open ebooks and videos.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I figured out a few things
http://t.co/9wMtlAfT
Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #28
JimStar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
I know you said you haven't had much time with the reader yet, but can you tell me specifically what you CAN do with it? I assume the Kyobo bookstore frontend shell is useless and you can get to the android behind it? If you can install apps through Getjar or something that would be all you need.
Sorry I was late. But I see that Nate the great has already answered it in his excellent review...
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #29
zinj
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStar View Post
Sorry I was late. But I see that Nate the great has already answered it in his excellent review...
Nate appears to be completely underwhelmed by the Kyobo reader and after comparing it with the ones on display at CES concludes that his may have a dirty screen. What are your thoughts on the display on your reader? I know it's not perfect but is it acceptable to you? Have you experienced the reading app crashes that Nate reported?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #30
JimStar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
Nate appears to be completely underwhelmed by the Kyobo reader and after comparing it with the ones on display at CES concludes that his may have a dirty screen. What are your thoughts on the display on your reader? I know it's not perfect but is it acceptable to you? Have you experienced the reading app crashes that Nate reported?
My wife use it, not me. I just tested it...
And she use it sometimes ONLY for internet browsing and mail reading (when sitting on the couch) with backlight ENABLED. Books she reads at her Sony-650 as Mirasol display is uncomfortable without backlight... Waiting for new versions of Mirasol with better "whiteness"...
And YES, sometimes the Kyobo app crashes...