Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Ariel212
Ariel212 began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook
Adding text files and movies

Hi,
I love how calibre handles my books on my mac. Sometimes I write notes in separate text files, mostly in pages, or have interviews with the authors from youtube or pictures, that I want to store with the book.
Just opening that books folder and dragging that stuff in there seems to work fine, but I am a bit uneasy about it. Is this something I can do, or do I create problems that will bite me in the back some day?
Anyone knows?
Ariel212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel212 View Post
Hi,
I love how calibre handles my books on my mac. Sometimes I write notes in separate text files, mostly in pages, or have interviews with the authors from youtube or pictures, that I want to store with the book.
Just opening that books folder and dragging that stuff in there seems to work fine, but I am a bit uneasy about it. Is this something I can do, or do I create problems that will bite me in the back some day?
Anyone knows?
If you are just adding them directly to the folder, bypassing Calibre, then they could get lost if you ever change the author of title in any way as Calibre does not have them as a record in the metadata database.

However if you add them as entries via the Calibre GUI then they will get recorded in the Calibre database and kept with the ebook files if you change the author/title. Note that Calibre will allow for any file type to be added, but only one of any given type (i.e. given extension).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
↑ ↑ ↑

You can drag-drop any 'extra' files into Book Details panel where the cover is shown.

For the books where you've added the files into the book folders, just open the book folder and drag-drop the 'extra' files into Book Details panel, that will record their existence in the database..

FWIW I keep a pro-forma notes file on my desktop, when I want to create some notes for a book I drag-drop it into the Book Details panel. I use a .ONE file which I edit with OneNote.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote