Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #661
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I would probably prefer a 9" 200DPI screen, than a 7" 300DPI screen; even if there are more pixels on the 7" screen.
Now that you have different resolution ereaders, maybe you should compare for yourself. I personally would not like to go back to a lower res screen for the sake of a bigger real estate.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #662
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
The Oasis 2 went back to Amazon today. There were pros and cons to both it and the H202 but in the end Kobo won IMO. Main differences to me:

Wins for Kobo:
- much cleaner interface
- can turn down blue light
- wake up/sleep fast
- nice Pocket integration
- excellent battery life

Losses for Kobo:
- quite heavy

Wins for Oasis
- page turns almost instant
- page turn buttons
- nice clean default font
- lightweight
- Goodreads integration

Losses for Oasis
- battery life seemed abysmal. I didn't use it much but it didn't look like it was going to make a week
- slow to wake up/unlock (why the extra swipe?) and sleep

Seems like the perfect e-reader is still elusive! Needs all those wins and none of those losses.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 12:03 AM   #663
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post

Losses for Oasis
- battery life seemed abysmal. I didn't use it much but it didn't look like it was going to make a week
my comfortable brightness for oasis 2 is 18 out of 24, which is roughly same brightness of 33% for aura one and 55% for H2O, that translates to 6%-10% battery drop per hour depending on turning page frequency and dictionary usage. for longevity of battery, it's better to charge the battery when it drops to no less than 50%.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:33 AM   #664
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
my comfortable brightness for oasis 2 is 18 out of 24, which is roughly same brightness of 33% for aura one and 55% for H2O, that translates to 6%-10% battery drop per hour depending on turning page frequency and dictionary usage. for longevity of battery, it's better to charge the battery when it drops to no less than 50%.
Are you saying that an KA1 goes a lot brighter than an KOA2 if 18/24 compares to 33% ?
Old 12-28-2017, 02:24 AM   #665
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, Kindle HDX, iPhone6, iPhone7, Oasis2
Just got my Oasis 2 on December 26 and so far really love everything about it. Love the bigger screen. Don’t know about the battery life. I did notice the fingerprints and bought the screen protector, which solved the problem. Cheap black case. Noticed how lightweight it is.

I have a Paperwhite 3. I read on a pretty high brightness, so my PW wasn’t that great on battery life. I have always on airplane mode. I love having WiFi on all the time. I am always looking up meanings of words, so I just bought a portable battery.
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 05:02 AM   #666
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
My apologies, I wasn't very clear on that one,
I meant to say that a 300DPI 7" screen gives trouble in reading, rather because the pixels are too small, than a larger (eg:14"), lower resolution (150DPI) screen where pixels become an issue.
At 150dpi, and quadruple the screen estate, the screen contents become more grainy, but font should become easier to see due to it being twice as large.
I don't read that way. I pick a font size that is comfortable and go from there

Quote:
From a perspective that 7pt remains the same size on a large or small screen, yes, then the 150dpi screen will display the worst imagery.
However if the screen layout remains the same, and the text becomes twice as large on the 14" 150DPI screen, it'll be easier to read than the 7pt text on the 7" 300DPI screen.
I would pick a font size that was comfortable on the 7" and 14". I find that the font size is relatively close between the two. The nice thing about the increased DPI is that it doesn't just work on small font sizes, it works on all font sizes.

Quote:
... I think what I'm saying is, that nowadays, DPI is good enough; even with 150DPI screens, the pixels are so small, that the smallest font readable, will be well below what you'd want to set your ereader to.
Why settle for " good enough". My first reader was "good enough", but I appreciate that DPI, contrast, speed, software has improved.

Quote:
... Our main issue is screen estate.
I would probably prefer a 9" 200DPI screen, than a 7" 300DPI screen; even if there are more pixels on the 7" screen.
I would probably prefer a 6" screen to a 7" and 9" screen. The last time I did the comparison, I picked on older pearl 6" over a Carta 6.8. When I upgraded my 6" from pearl to Carta, I appreciated the upgrade (which I assume was at least in part due to the increase in DPI).

Quote:
... Most regular books found in the store are about 8 to 9 inch.
Any ebook reader below that, is kind of scaling down the text or imagery, to fit their cramped, small screen.
Measuring most of my books, they are about 7" with a lot of white space. My ebook reader doesn't scale down the text, mine scales the text up.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:49 AM   #667
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
Losses for Oasis
- slow to wake up/unlock (why the extra swipe?) and sleep
You bought a device with Special Offers, so Amazon makes sure that you see them. Get rid of SO and there will be no more extra swiping.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:49 AM   #668
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Are you saying that an KA1 goes a lot brighter than an KOA2 if 18/24 compares to 33% ?
nope for maximum brightness but yes for most of others, here 22/24 of oasis 2 is equal to 100% of aura one, but 21/24 is about of 70% to aura one, i.e. oasis 2 has a quite steep curve for brightness adjustment.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #669
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
vostro's photos show the benefit of a larger screen when you want/need a larger font size. very well done photos.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #670
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
mine gradient is getting noticeable after one week usage, returned.
Do you mean the side opposite the battery is a different colour? I noticed that last night. Exactly right down the middle. Left side is a different shade than the right side (battery side).

Hoping it gets better.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #671
vostro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post
Do you mean the side opposite the battery is a different colour?
it's not the color but brightness.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:29 AM   #672
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Now that you have different resolution ereaders, maybe you should compare for yourself. I personally would not like to go back to a lower res screen for the sake of a bigger real estate.
I have a Jetbook mini.
It has a 640x480odd pixel 5" screen, and though the text is a bit more grainy, never ever was the resolution an issue with me.
Screen estate on the other hand, yes!
The only ereader I have had, which I could 'comfortably' (size wise; it wasn't the lightest of ebook devices out there) read books on was the Jetbook Color.
It's 9.7" screen was rather large for books, and weight was more of an industrial tablet, than an ebook reader.
They could have shaved off a few inches off the device if they wanted to.
However, for the comic book reader it was advertized as (a PDF reader), it was awfully small; and lacked both resolution and screen estate!

Despite the high pixel count, text on comic books was still hard to read.
For comic books, an 11-13" reader would be the sweet spot.

For text ebooks, 150DPI is about as low as I would go.
For comic books, 200DPI monochrome (grayscale), or 150DPI color (using RGB, meaning 3 subpixels per pixel).

I would say, that for displaying most of my paper books correctly, I would need anywhere between a 7" to 9" device; 8" probably being the sweet spot.

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-29-2017 at 02:37 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:52 AM   #673
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I would say, that for displaying most of my paper books correctly, I would need anywhere between a 7" to 9" device; 8" probably being the sweet spot.
If you knew that, why didn't you go for a Kobo Aura One instead of new Oasis? Sounds like it would be your dream device for text based books.

I looked myself and was almost willing to learn a new bag of tricks, if it wasn't for the inability to read KU books on a non Amazon eink device.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:47 AM   #674
gal_amy
Connoisseur

Quote:
I looked myself and was almost willing to learn a new bag of tricks, if it wasn't for the inability to read KU books on a non Amazon eink device.
I wanted to buy the bigger screen that Kobo has, but the frustration of learning a new technology was more than I can handle.

I had a google phone which was very nice, but I didn’t want to take the time to learn everything all over again. I liked that it was unlocked. But when it came time to buy a new device, I once again chose an iPhone. Simplicity. Also bought 2 expensive iPads.

I have a Kindle HDX which is worth absolutely nothing for a trade in. But there again, a learning experience.

So I longingly looked at that very nice Kobo, I bit the bullet and got the Oasis 2.

It also helped that I cashed in my Visa perks for $150 free, mind you free Amazon gift cards. So that made my decision all the more easier.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #675
gal_amy
Connoisseur

Quote:
it's not the color but brightness.
Sorry, meant brightness