Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The MR Literary Club 2016-2017 Categories Nominations & Vote

Help us choose the categories that the MR Literary Club will use to alternate for our July 2016-June 2017 cycle!

Nominations will be open for three days. You may nominate up to two categories. They may be previous categories, altered categories or brand new categories. I do ask that if you're nominating a new or altered category, please keep it simple with just a title and no special rules to follow; we already have a few previous category possibilities with special rules and that's enough.

To nominate a category, simply post your nomination. All nominees will move forward to the vote with no need for support from others.

For reference, we have 14 categories that have been used by us in the past: Biography & Memoirs, Contemporary, Highly Challenging, Journey around the World, Lottery, Non-Fiction, Obscure, Open, Plays, Poetry, Region, Rotating, Short and Time Period. You can peruse past categories by month here. Rotating and Lottery are ineligible to be nominated.

Once nominations are complete, the vote will begin and also occur in this thread. The vote will be open for four days. I will make a post to open voting and the vote will close exactly four days from that post. Even if the final tally doesn't occur immediately after voting closes, no votes made after that time will count.

Votes will be made by post. Each person will have a number of votes to cast equal to the number of nominees minus one, which will be specified when the vote begins. You may give each nominee one or two (or no) votes. You may vote all at once in one post or vote in separate posts at different times, so long as you have more votes remaining to cast. You may use any number of your possible votes up to the maximum. Any extraneous votes per person (past their maximum or more than two for one nominee) simply won't count. Votes cannot be changed once they are cast. Since this is a new process, any questions feel free to ask at any time.

Half of the next cycle will be devoted to rotating selections from our members, leaving six months of other categories that we are deciding on, and as such there will be six winners. In the event of a tie, there will be a one-day run-off vote, also in this thread. If the run-off also ends in a tie, then we will combine the tied categories and be done with it.

So, what categories will we be reading from in the next year? The floor is now open!

The nominees through post 4-

Non-Fiction
Biographies & Memoirs
Open
Contemporary
Region
Time Period

Last edited by sun surfer; 06-26-2016 at 08:38 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
It's such a comprehensive list that I'm scratching my head trying to think of something new. I did think of Essays, but they would fit in to Non-fiction perfectly well.

So I shall nominate Non-fiction and Biography & Memoirs, as I read fewer books in those categories outside of the Club.

Thanks for your work in putting this together, sun surfer.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2016, 11:39 PM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just realised I'd meant to change the run-off tie sentence to first listed winning if it came to it instead of combining categories, since this year we'd have a first listed. Hopefully it won't matter anyway.

I too will not be very adventurous in my nominations, though we haven't had either of these recently. I nominate Open and Contemporary. I'd like to see what we come up with in an open month and I'd also like to see what we come up with focusing on contemporary books.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:29 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I nominate Region and Time Period.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nominations will be over in five or six hours or so.

If there are only six nominations, no vote will be needed and these six will be the winners.
Advert
Old 06-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be nice if there were more nominations!
Old 06-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nominations are now closed! We need six categories and we have exactly six nominations, so a vote isn't needed since all six would win anyway. Therefore, our categories for the next year are:

Non-Fiction
Biographies & Memoirs
Open
Contemporary
Region
Time Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
It would be nice if there were more nominations!
I agree. I suspect that if there were more my nominations would've been the ones in danger of not being chosen since they're the ones not chosen last year, but I would've liked to try out the new voting method here first. Ah well, c'est la vie.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll nominate science fiction and Younf Adult literature.. The American Library Association defines Young Adult as between 12 - 18.

Whoops! Looks like I got in too late! I've been watching too much European Championship Soccer!

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-26-2016 at 06:13 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:21 AM   #9
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah well, it's good we did get six up in time. Never mind fantasyfan, we can always do it all again next year!
Old 06-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

fantasyfan, how close that was! I'd left the nominations open for a few hours longer than planned to see if someone would add more and it's wild that you missed by a minute. I certainly would've liked to try the new voting method here first.

And fyi for everyone - the process for exactly six or less than six nominations was in place before the nominations even started. Exactly six was obvious - if six go to the vote, all six will win regardless so a vote is superfluous. For less than six, again all would win in a vote anyway but we'd still need categories for the remaining months. So the nominees would've automatically been categories and we would've had a vote consisting of other previous categories for the final slots. In any event, we're now good on categories for another year.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:34 AM   #11
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

So in order not to be repeating the repeated categories too soon, should we start off with Open, then Contemporary and then the others in the order we had them last year, i.e. Biography & Memoir, Region, Non-fiction and Time Period? It seems to me that would be better than the order in which the nominations were made.

What do others think?
Old 06-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I'd planned to simply put the four categories repeating from last year in the same months as before, leaving July and January for Open and Contemporary. As you suggest, we can begin with Open next month with how close we are to it starting, and it would be a good category for the first month of the new process we're trying. Does that sound good?

Last edited by sun surfer; 06-29-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

OK with me.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #14
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Yes, that sounds like an excellent idea. I'll put on my thinking cap!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #15
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Then it's settled. Open in July starting soon.

And fantasyfan, in regard to the two categories you wanted to propose, you may prefer to nominate something else for July's selection but at least with an Open month and two nominations you could still nominate literary sci-fi and/or literary YA books if you wish.

ETA - For clarity's sake, here is the schedule of categories for the next 12 months, which can also be found in the first post of the Welcome thread:

June 2017, Rotating
May 2017, Time Period
April 2017, Rotating
March 2017, Non-Fiction
February 2017, Rotating
January 2017, Contemporary
December 2016, Rotating
November 2016, Region
October 2016, Rotating
September 2016, Biographies & Memoirs
August 2016, Rotating
July 2016, Open

Last edited by sun surfer; 06-30-2016 at 12:25 PM.