Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #1
lambstone
Enthusiast
lambstone began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
[SOLVED] How to Sync Read Progress between kobo devices using calibre?

SOLVED: TL;DR Version. Make sure your plugin is configured properly. For me I didn't configure the columns

I currently own a Glo. My H2O is arriving soon and I was wondering how can I transfer the reading progress to my new H2O.

Last edited by lambstone; 09-07-2015 at 10:04 PM.
lambstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
kobo utilities; store reading position and then restore.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
lambstone
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
kobo utilities; store reading position and then restore.
Do you mean the Store and Restore Bookmark option? Because AFAIK, reading position and bookmarks are different. Bookmarks are when you press upper right
Old 09-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambstone View Post
Do you mean the Store and Restore Bookmark option? Because AFAIK, reading position and bookmarks are different. Bookmarks are when you press upper right
Yes, that is the function you should use. I probably shouldn't have used the word "bookmark" here but that is how I thought of it at the time I wrote this. Plus it matches what I do with a paper book to mark where I am up to (use a bookmark, not turn the corner of the page down). Because of the confusion, I generally use "current reading position" when describing what the function does.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
lambstone
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, that is the function you should use. I probably shouldn't have used the word "bookmark" here but that is how I thought of it at the time I wrote this. Plus it matches what I do with a paper book to mark where I am up to (use a bookmark, not turn the corner of the page down). Because of the confusion, I generally use "current reading position" when describing what the function does.
Thanks for your advice. I'll give it a try in a couple of hours, my H2O should be here in a couple of hours.
Advert
Old 09-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
lambstone
Enthusiast

Update. Doesn't seem to work.

Last edited by lambstone; 09-07-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Update. Doesn't seem to work.

I used to use koboextended driver for my glo so epubs were converted to kepubs (or so I believe). However for my H2O, it seems that I had some parsing issues so I had to revert to original kobodrivers and my epubs were transferred unconverted.
Sorry, I didn't think of that. Unfortunately, the way the device stores the reading positions is format specific. The store simply copies this to a column in the library. Restoring assumes the same format book is used. Converting the position from one format to another is not something I'm interested in doing.

But, there shouldn't be any difference with how the Glo and the H2O display a book (other than screen size and resolution). The firmware is common across all the recent Kobo devices. What are you seeing is wrong?
Old 09-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
lambstone
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, I didn't think of that. Unfortunately, the way the device stores the reading positions is format specific. The store simply copies this to a column in the library. Restoring assumes the same format book is used. Converting the position from one format to another is not something I'm interested in doing.

But, there shouldn't be any difference with how the Glo and the H2O display a book (other than screen size and resolution). The firmware is common across all the recent Kobo devices. What are you seeing is wrong?
Was in the process of updating you. Managed to swap back to KoboExtendedDriver. I selected an option in KoboExtendedDriver to ignore kepub conversion errors and somehow everything was copied and converted to kepub sucessfullly, even those with parse errors.

Here's what I tried again. Plugged in my Glo. Under the KoboUtils preferences, created a profile and set it for anydevice. Selected all the books in my library. Clicked on "Store or restore bookmarks", store, none of the checkbox were checked. Stored under the active profile. Bookmark Retrieved =430

Unplugged Glo. Plugged H2O. Active profile is same as for Glo. Clicked on restore, with all 3 checkbox ticked. Books Updated = 440

Seems like its still not working
Old 09-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
lambstone
Enthusiast

UPDATE: Fixed it. Turned out I didn't configure the columns. Thanks for your patience
Old 09-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
UPDATE: Fixed it. Turned out I didn't configure the columns. Thanks for your patience
Good to hear. I'll have to look at the code to see why it tried to do anything when the columns weren't configured. If only one or two columns are configured it will work, but it should complain if there are none.