Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #16
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
They jumped the gun here. It's still Nov. 30th and the books are no longer free.
Very interesting (and annoying for those who missed it), since Amazon.com seems to usually abide by Pacific Time. If I'd missed the November 2014 Samsung Book Deals and wanted one of those books, I'd contact Amazon.com/Kindle Customer Service most ricky-tick (before midnight, Pacific Time) and request the freebie price.

Last edited by Froide; 11-30-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:36 AM   #17
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
They jumped the gun here. It's still Nov. 30th and the books are no longer free.
Still showed free for me. After I selected one, none of them show free, though.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 04:20 AM   #18
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They're out now! Here are the December 2014 Samsung Book Deals selections from the Kindle store (in the order in which Amazon presented them). Click on Samsung Book Deals to learn how this works.
Normally $4.99 in the Kindle Store
Genres: fiction, historical fiction, fantasy

Quote:
Book Description:
Publication Date: June 4, 2013

Eleven-year-old William yearns for the life of a falconer—training the magnificent birds of prey for the favored sport of medieval England’s nobility. But in the boy’s clubfoot his mother sees a sign from the gods: like the legendary Hephaestus of ancient mythology, William is bound to wield a blacksmith’s hammer. So his future lies in the smoky foundries of a swordmaker rather than the rolling fields of a falcon master.

Then fate plays its hand: William rescues the wounded bird of King Henry himself, gains favor with the grateful monarch, and at last sees his deepest desire within reach. But with his new life as apprentice falconer at a nobleman’s castle begins a tumultuous coming-of-age. The years to come will bring triumph and tragedy, friendship and treachery, truest love and most brutal loss. Yet through it all, he will never stop battling—for justice, joy, and the chance to soar skyward in spirit beside his beloved falcons.
Normally $3.99 in the Kindle Store
Genres: fiction crime fiction, mystery, detective story, people & cultures

Quote:
Book Description:
Publication Date: October 23, 2012

Detective Sergeant Apelu Soifua spent seven years in the San Francisco Police Department, where the job was just a job and solving crimes required cool detachment. But back home on American Samoa, life is personal—especially for a cop. Because on a small island where no one is a stranger and secrets are widely known but never discussed, solving crimes requires a certain…finesse.

Here, Apelu must walk the line between two cultures: Samoan versus American, native versus new. And that gulf never yawns wider than when a white family’s home in Pago Pago is burglarized. And what appears to be a simple, open-and-shut case turns out to anything but. As the evidence piles up, Apelu follows a tangled trail between cultures, dead bodies, hidden codes, and a string of lies on his hunt for the ugly truth buried at the heart of paradise.

Set against the steamy backdrop of the Samoan jungle, this thoughtful whodunit introduces a memorable new gumshoe to the ranks of detective fiction.
Genres: fiction, contemporary romance

Quote:
Overview (from BN.com):

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Sixteen years ago, Tyne Whitlock cut all ties to her past and left town under the shameful shadow of a teenage pregnancy. Now her fifteen-year-old son is in trouble with the law, and she is desperate for help. But reaching out to high-powered attorney Lucas Silver Hawk will tear open the heart-wrenching past in ways Tyne never imagined.

Forced to return to the Delaware Indian community where Lucas was raised, Tyne and Lucas are tempted by the heated passion that consumed them as teens. Tyne rediscovers all the reasons she found this man irresistible, but there are scandalous secrets waiting to be revealed, disgraceful choices made in the past that cannot be denied. Love is a powerful force that could heal them both—if the truth doesn’t rip them apart.

About the Author:
Born in Elkton, Maryland, Donna Fasano met her knight in shining armor—a logical scientist type—when she was still a teen. They married, raised two children, and currently live in Northern Delaware with their wild-dingo-of-a-dog, Roo. Donna loves to read and has an eclectic taste when it comes to fiction. She collects cookbooks and loves to use them. She hikes, bikes, and kayaks (physical activity is necessary due to her love affair with food). Donna has been writing romance novels and women's fiction since 1989. Her books have sold nearly four million copies worldwide, and she is pleased to be able to say she's a USA Today bestselling author.
Genres: science fiction, fantasy, urban fantasy, fiction, paranormal, supernatural, mystery

Quote:
Book Description:
Publication Date: May 21, 2013

“Never underestimate the power of a good story.”

Good advice…especially when a story can kill you.

For most people, the story of their lives is just that: the accumulation of time, encounters, and actions into a cohesive whole. But for an unfortunate few, that day-to-day existence is affected—perhaps infected is a better word—by memetic incursion: where fairy tale narratives become reality, often with disastrous results.

That's where the ATI Management Bureau steps in, an organization tasked with protecting the world from fairy tales, even while most of their agents are struggling to keep their own fantastic archetypes from taking over their lives. When you're dealing with storybook narratives in the real world, it doesn't matter if you're Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, or the Wicked Queen: no one gets a happily ever after.

Indexing is New York Times bestselling author Seanan McGuire’s new urban fantasy where everything you thought you knew about fairy tales gets turned on its head.

This book was initially released in episodes as a Kindle Serial. All episodes are now available for immediate download as a complete book.

Last edited by Froide; 12-01-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:53 AM   #19
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Guess I'll go with Indexing, although none of them sound really good this month. Still, free is free.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #20
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has anyone figured out a way to get these without the Kindle for Samsung app? Since I have a Samsung TV, I already had a Samsung account, even though I don't have a Samsung phone/tablet. I was able to sideload the Kindle for Amazon and Samsung Account APK's and use them to login to my Samsung account and get the books, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way, especially since I now have two Kindle apps on my phone.
Advert
Old 12-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to get these without the Kindle for Samsung app? Since I have a Samsung TV, I already had a Samsung account, even though I don't have a Samsung phone/tablet. I was able to sideload the Kindle for Amazon and Samsung Account APK's and use them to login to my Samsung account and get the books, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way, especially since I now have two Kindle apps on my phone.
RE: Has anyone figured out a way to get these without the Kindle for Samsung app?
- I do not have the answer; sorry.

RE: I now have two Kindle apps on my phone.
- With the Kindle for Samsung app on your phone, what is the advantage of also retaining the Kindle for Android app?
Old 12-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #22
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
RE: Has anyone figured out a way to get these without the Kindle for Samsung app?
- I do not have the answer; sorry.

RE: I now have two Kindle apps on my phone.
- With the Kindle for Samsung app on your phone, what is the advantage of also retaining the Kindle for Android app?
Probably none, but since I sideloaded the Samsung version, I won't get updates to it like I will the standard version. The Samsung version also uses a totally different theme than the standard Kindle app.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #23
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
As far as I know, the only way to select the titles is via the Kindle for Samsung app. I wasn't keen on installing it either, but there was a book I actually wanted one month (as opposed to picking the least crappy of the lot) so I went ahead and did so.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Last Day to get your free book for Dec -- exp 31 Dec

see post #18 for selections
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:01 AM   #25
Froide
Wizard

Happy 2015 everyone.

They're here!

These are the January 2015 Samsung Book Deals selections from the Kindle store (in the order in which Amazon presented them). Click on Samsung Book Deals to learn how this works.
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire Book 1)
    by Mark T. Barnes

Regular Kindle Price: $4.99
    Genres (from BN.com): Science Fiction & Fantasy

Quote:
    Overview (from BN.com)

Shortlisted for the 2014 Gemmell Morningstar Award—Best Debut Novel

An uneasy peace has existed since the fall of the Awakened Empire centuries ago. Now the hybrid Avān share the land with the people they once conquered: the star-born humans; the spectral, undead Nomads; and what remains of the Elemental Masters.

With the Empress-in-Shadows an estranged ghost, it is the ancient dynasties of the Great Houses and the Hundred Families that rule. But now civil war threatens to draw all of Shrīan into a vicious struggle sparked by one man’s lust for power, and his drive to cheat death.

Visions have foretold that Corajidin, dying ruler of House Erebus, will not only survive, but rise to rule his people. The wily nobleman seeks to make his destiny certain—by plundering the ruins of his civilization’s past for the arcane science needed to ensure his survival, and by mercilessly eliminating his rivals. But mercenary warrior-mage Indris, scion of the rival House Näsarat, stands most powerfully in the usurper’s bloody path. For it is Indris who reluctantly accepts the task of finding a missing man, the only one able to steer the teetering nation towards peace.
  • My First Murder (The Maria Kallio Series Book 1)
    by Leena Lehtolainen (Author), Owen Witesman (Translator)

Regular Kindle Price: $4.99
    Genres (from BN.com): Mystery & Crime, Peoples & Cultures - Fiction

Quote:
    Book Description
    Publication Date: December 11, 2012

Twenty-three-year-old law student Maria Kallio is recruited for a temporary position at the Helsinki police department. Sweet-faced but tough and hot-tempered, Maria faces pushback from her new squad – so when a young playboy is murdered at his family’s summer villa, the new detective is out to prove herself.

Found floating facedown at the water’s edge after a night of partying, Tommi Pelatonen appears to have been murdered by one of his closest friends – but why? As Maria discovers, bitter passion and jealousy seethe under the placid surface of the group’s privileged, carefree lifestyle. As Maria uncovers the victim’s unsavory secrets, motives for all seven suspects come to light. Now it’s up to her to untangle the clues before the killer strikes again.

The first book in Leena Lehtolainen’s international bestselling Nordic crime series starring Detective Maria Kallio, My First Murder serves up murder with a slice of life in the Finnish upper crust.
  • Shattered Souls (A Caitlyn O'Connell Novel Book 1)
    by Delilah Devlin

Regular Kindle Price $3.99
    Genres (from BN.com): Mystery & Crime, Romance, Science Fiction & Fantasy

Quote:
    Book Description
    Publication Date: January 29, 2013

From popular author Delilah Devlin comes the unforgettable heroine, Caitlyn O’Connell—a psychic ex-cop who’s hell-bent on redemption.

Caitlyn O’Connell had it all: a career with the Memphis PD, a passionate marriage, and the satisfaction that her work made a difference in the world. But she also had a secret, a supernatural “gift” that cost her everything. Now she scrapes by as a private investigator, taking cases the cops won’t touch and counting down the minutes until happy hour.

But when Sam Pierce, her former partner and estranged ex-husband, comes to her for help with a bizarre murder case, Cait can’t say no. And not just because Sam is still as irresistibly sexy as he was on the day they met. Something sinister—and demonic—is terrorizing Memphis, leaving a bloody trail of bodies and clues only Cait can read. Together she and Sam will venture into a dark world of magic and unholy terror, hunting a killer who will lead them to the brink of reality as they know it—and back into the thrall of their stormy past. Steamy and suspenseful, Shattered Souls is the pulse-quickening new offering from fan favorite romance author Delilah Devlin.
  • Downard-Facing Death (A Matt Bolster Yoga Mystery Book 1)
    by Neal Pollack

Regular Kindle Price: $3.99
    Genres: Mystery & Crime, Fiction

Quote:
    Book Description
    Publication Date: September 6, 2012

Blessed with uncanny deductive skills and a blasé disregard for authority, Matt Bolster was a rising LAPD homicide detective by the age of thirty-five. He was also overworked, divorced, near-alcoholic, and miserable. Then, to impress a girl, he agreed to try yoga. And with a single savasana, everything changed.

Now Bolster has traded his badge and gun for a scraggly beard and the life of an itinerant yoga teacher, dabbling in P.I. work to make rent. He mostly handles missing-persons cases, credit-card fraud – nothing too messy. But that’s before Ajoy Chaterjee, the billionaire founder of one of the world’s leading yoga-business empires, is found murdered inside his West L.A. flagship studio. Bolster knows the LAPD doesn’t have a prayer of cracking the secrets of the yoga world. But he does, and he really needs the dough.

Of course, sticking to the principles of the yamas and niyamas during a murder investigation isn’t easy, especially with so many hot women among the suspects. But personal ethics will be the least of Bolster’s problems if the killer finds him first.

Episode List
    This book was initially released in episodes as a Kindle Serial. All episodes are now available for immediate download as a complete book. Learn more about Kindle Serials.

Last edited by Froide; 01-01-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:46 AM   #26
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I got this as a freebie a couple of years ago and finally got around to reading it in 2014, and rather liked it, enough that I bought the other books in the series when they came on sale, and some titles from another of the author's then-not-yet-available-in-English series in French translation also when they went on sale.

If anyone's interested in an older* low-key Nordic police procedural with an emphasis on detective legwork and without the sort of gory serial killer violence that some of the more modern Nordic crime thrillers use, this is a pretty decent read.

* This was originally out in 1992, and may seem a bit dated in certain parts, but it's an interesting time capsule of Finnish society. Also, this series is apparently immensely popular in Finland and has a TV adaptation there.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:54 AM   #27
Manabi
Wizard

I went with The Garden of Stones, although even it doesn't sound all that appealing to me.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:56 AM   #28
Froide
Wizard

RE: My First Murder (The Maria Kallio Series Book 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I got this as a freebie a couple of years ago and finally got around to reading it in 2014, and rather liked it, enough that I bought the other books in the series when they came on sale, and some titles from another of the author's then-not-yet-available-in-English series in French translation also when they went on sale.

If anyone's interested in an older* low-key Nordic police procedural with an emphasis on detective legwork and without the sort of gory serial killer violence that some of the more modern Nordic crime thrillers use, this is a pretty decent read.

* This was originally out in 1992, and may seem a bit dated in certain parts, but it's an interesting time capsule of Finnish society. Also, this series is apparently immensely popular in Finland and has a TV adaptation there.
Thanks. My First Murder is the one I went with.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I went with The Garden of Stones, although even it doesn't sound all that appealing to me.
Same here.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:38 AM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Last Day to get your free book for Jan -- exp 31 Jan

see post #25 for selections