Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Interesting news about Sony E-Reading business

Saw this today:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/13/s...-book-service/

"Sony, Panasonic, others to launch cross-platform e-book service, later this year"

The same news item is also posted here:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...book-platform/

"Kinokuniya, Sony, Panasonic, and Rakuten met in Japan today and released a statement stating that they plan “discuss building a system that will allow reciprocal use of their e-book readers and stores by the second half of the year.” the goal of this partnership is a single service that lets users see all ebook purchases from all stores and manage them across all devices."

Not sure what this would mean for the U.S. On one hand, any news from Sony about their ereading business is good. On the other hand, this news seems to be about the Japanese market and not pertain to the U.S.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The good thing seems to be that Sony is still staying in the eBook business. I look forward to seeing what Sony comes out with later this year.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Does this mean they might eventually start to make changes (read: improvements) to their Reader Library? I use the store on the 950, obviously, and I use the Android app even though it's annoyingly unstable, but the desktop software drives me nuts. The interface limitations and the lack of user control over its syncing behavior irritates me so much I tried it once, ditched it, and went back to Calibre.

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 06-13-2011 at 02:45 PM.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Probably meaningless to the USA market. Afterall, even if Engadget is on target, and that is a big if, all 4 of the listed companies have a combined market share of what? Perhaps 5-10% of the USA market at best?

Plus, listening to anything Engadget says is like getting your news from a grocery store tabloid.

Also, I saw nothing in that brief statement about new ebook readers. It appears to refer to their book stores. Sony might stop producing ereaders while maintaining a book store. As a matter of fact, I think USA law would force them to support the ereaders for a certain time period after discontinuing them.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-13-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Well good news, even if just on the Japanese market.

Think crossplatform is a very good way to go for companies that are focused on the reader and not the bookstore.

They need some bigger companies involved though.
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Excellent point. My dream reader would be an independent eInk tablet on which you could install the reading apps you want. In other words, a tablet like eInk device that is customizable and independent of all bookstores. I doubt that will happen, but it is nice to dream.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From an user perspective, that kind of interoperability you describe is close to ideal.

Unfortunately with closed ecosystems being so succesfull and some publishers being mortally afraid of loosing control, I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
Nanopr
Connoisseur
Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch
I think that Sony's strength is on its hardware (i.e - readers) so I find it interesting to see that they would seem to be moving their devices towards becoming " universall" and fully open. I may be wrong, but I think the current "ecosystem" structure that Amazon, B&N and Apple seem to be pursuing will not stand in the long term. If Sony beats them to the punch thay may take a nice piece of the market.
Nanopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
Nanopr
Connoisseur
Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch
Actually, reading the endgadget report again, this looks very similar to Kobo' strategy where they are the backend web store for Borders, Indigo and Kobo.
Nanopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
Leyor
Ninja Librarian

Would be nice to see every retailer that's focused on the device, cooperate on this.

I personally worry about the closed ecosystem models, it's a growing trend in all industries due to apples huge success. It also appeals to the music industry and publishers, they've been fighting for years to remove peoples personal ownership and get us to a point where we only rent stuff and doesn't own it.

The more choices we have as consumers, the better we're served imo.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I can confirm that this is now in action. On my Japanese PRS-T1 I now have the option of visiting Rakuten and Kinokuniya's bookstore instead of Sony's- From what I've been able to deduct - albeit from a cursory glance - they have the same selection and the same prices. I've been looking for the Japanese original of 1Q84 by Murakami Haruki but though it is released in translation on e-books the Japanese are still bound by paper.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Is this the same Sony that still hasn't launched their Reader store in the UK?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote