Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Hey! Somebody gets it...

A remarkably sane and balanced article from the Guardian in the UK although, sadly, the writer appears never to have heard of Astak.

Electronic books: America's giant bookshops put the 'e' in reading
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not so sure about the "Amazon promises to launch the Kindle in the UK by Christmas" bit. AFAIK, nobody's "promised" any such thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not so sure about the "Amazon promises to launch the Kindle in the UK by Christmas" bit. AFAIK, nobody's "promised" any such thing.
I think you're mistaking the usage. The sense is not 'Amazon has promised...' but 'there is some promise that Amazon will...'
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Neither the Kindle nor the Barnes & Noble e-reader is readily available in the UK – the bestselling model here is currently the Sony Reader – but it's only a matter of time. (Amazon promises to launch the Kindle for Christmas.)
I'm afraid I don't agree with you .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
it's a big rumor. and the last 2 amazon kindle rumors were true within 45 days.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon does not have ePub. Even if they do try it outside the USA, it won't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I'm with Harry. I think it's pretty clear that the author is saying that "Amazon promises to launch the Kindle for Christmas". It's a simple, direct statement, and there isn't much room for interpretation. Also, he's a professional writer--if he intended to say something else then he would've written something else.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon does not have ePub. Even if they do try it outside the USA, it won't work.
Although I own a PRS-505 and would love to see epub adopted as a universal format, if Amazon launch the Kindle here in the uk I think it'll be every bit as successfull as in the US.

Amazon is a hugely popular retailer here too and their marketing budget and catalog of books (if they've managed to make enough deals with publishers of course) will ensure it's success.

Last edited by deltop; 08-16-2009 at 11:08 AM.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Amazon will have to go a long long way before I will be tempted by one of their designs ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #10
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
While information about the Kindle is always intrigueing , what I found interesting and a bit confusing was the following:

Quote:
Many people will hate e-reading. The screen is only a tool, and not much more, and a poor substitute for the printed page. It has none of the satisfactions of the bound book. Conceivably, e-readers will actually promote the sale of hardback books as readers, delighted by what they have browsed on the Kindle, turn to a more lasting version for their libraries.

I understand the romance factor, but why would he consider the e-ink display a "poor substitute" for paper? What satisfaction is their in holding a "bound book"? I understand the allure of collecting hardbound books, antique books, etc., but is that actually the type of books to which he is referring?
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I understand the romance factor, but why would he consider the e-ink display a "poor substitute" for paper? What satisfaction is their in holding a "bound book"? I understand the allure of collecting hardbound books, antique books, etc., but is that actually the type of books to which he is referring?
Maybe it is the whole book that is important. Take a paper book and cut off the binding and cut off all page numbers and read the book one page at a time (and you cannot look at how many pages are left or at how many you have read). I would consider that a poor substitute for a book and is also why I like to read paper books better than reading books on my Gen 3.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
It is clearly explained by his first sentence, he does not own an ereader, and probably has never even seen one of them.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Maybe it is the whole book that is important. Take a paper book and cut off the binding and cut off all page numbers and read the book one page at a time (and you cannot look at how many pages are left or at how many you have read). I would consider that a poor substitute for a book and is also why I like to read paper books better than reading books on my Gen 3.
You are of course, entitled to enjoy a book how ever you like . With my liseuse (see Argel, I'm still trying ), I am able to page backward and forward through my ebooks quite easily and am able to determine how many pages are left using the page numbers, just as I would a paper book. The added benefit is that I can search for a particular word or phrase if I wish to go back to refresh my memory (which, believe me, happens quite frequently ).

By the way, I have read a book where the binding was not attached and the pages were loose and wanted to pull my hair out before I even reached the middle of the book. With 3 kids and 3 dogs running around, any loose leaf papers tend to go flying.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
You are of course, entitled to enjoy a book how ever you like . With my liseuse (see Argel, I'm still trying ), I am able to page backward and forward through my ebooks quite easily and am able to determine how many pages are left using the page numbers, just as I would a paper book. The added benefit is that I can search for a particular word or phrase if I wish to go back to refresh my memory (which, believe me, happens quite frequently ).
Searching is a big advantage. And with better implementations of reader software we will get new functionality we did not know we needed and the reading experience will be superior. But currently with most of the available readers we do not have that extra functionality.

There is also the sense of having done something when finisishing a physical book. I do not get that when reading an eBook since then the experience is more like reading web pages. But that will probably be solved by automatically updating places like facebook when you finish a book.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post

Agreed, but on the other hand, I can pack a 1,000 volume library in a device the size of a single, small hardback, weighing a quarter Kilo, and with easy access to any of the books on it. That's a point where an liseuse outshines a paper book....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote