Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #61
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That is a good one... But isn't that point different for every person?

(for me, the moment he keeps falling, it turns from funny to tragic...)
I agree with you...from funny to tragic...which mirrors life in so many ways.

It's been said (sources?) that a comedian can make a great actor, due possibly to being able to make one laugh and cry at the same time.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-24-2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: son to so
Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #62
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Remember the uproar when Randy Newman's "Short People" was written?

"...They got dirty little minds..../they stand so low/you got to to pick them up."

Thank God for Randy Newman, and for breaking down the barriers. Before his song, no one wanted to talk about the disgusting characteristics of short people.

Now we know exactly WHO they are!!

(NOTE: The above was an attempt at pointing out how some "sensitive" people find this song offensive, because it describes in great detail the nasty little ways of short people. I find it funny as hell. If you are a short person or you know a short person, or you saw a short person run over by a tall car, please remain calm. Buy a little bitty casket and all will be well.)

SECOND NOTE: The song actually is about understanding and embracing differences, because all men [Newman writes] are brothers.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-25-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: changed "offense" to "offensive"
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #63
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't you think that is rather the situation with the recent "Miss USA", thing, where a woman was asked her personal opinion about the rights of gay marriage? She said that she personally had been brought up to think that it was wrong, and yet people were offended by it. For goodness sake - I hold the opposite view myself, but the woman is entitled to hold a contrary viewpoint, and nobody should have been "offended" by that.
I thiink that was a "loaded" question and shouldn't have even been asked in that kind of setting. No matter WHAT her point of view or what she said on the subject, she loses. SOMEONE would have been offended. I think a beauty pageant is a very inappropriate venue to mix with politics or religion. It has no place there. And the judges should refrain from asking questions that have tones of either subject. These 2 posts (about Miss USA) are only a bit . They're not about jokes, but they are about "bad taste." Just my take.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #64
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
My wife and I made a deal about ethnic jokes. I can tell any ethnic joke I like, as long as the ethnicity being put down is (one of) mine (Scots or Slovak). Otherwise, I tell <ethnic> jokes. A brief (and lousy!) example:

Q: What's black and crispy and hangs from the ceiling?
A: An <ethnic> electrician!
That wouldn't always work. I knew hundreds of jokes about Jews in Auschwitz in my primary school days - and they were all centered around specific concentration camps situations. So you couldn't just substitute any ethnic group for it.

Now I think of it, maybe they were more jokes about concentration camps though... but still, as far as I know there aren't any other camps I could substitute and not lose the 'black humor'.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #65
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Sure, it doesn't always work. But most of the jokes it doesn't work for would fail my wife's "that's too offensive" detector if I were to tell them anyway. And since she does a far better job than I do at avoiding pissing people off, I normally defer to her judgement on such things. On the other hand, she doesn't mind me getting quite offensive about my own ethnic groups.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

Xenophon
Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #66
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

"Black humor," or "Black Comedy" was very popular in the '60s, but is not in much vogue today.

However, humor in general experiences a resurgence of interest during times of national crises or when a populace becomes downtrodden (due to inadequate "leaders" such as Bush?).

Also, humor is often cyclical in nature. When all you can do is cry, sometimes you have to laugh in order to cry even more.

Getting back to "Black Comedy," I enjoy humor of a dark nature, one that looks at death, bathroom antics, dead things - things that might make us uncomfortable. Lenny Bruce has already been mentioned, but also consider the later (and late) George Carlin - after his "Hippy-Dippy Weatherman" routines. There are many more one could name.

I think humor that penetrates into one's obsessions and neuroses is the kind of humor that cuts deep and lasts longest, because it goes into the dark recesses of one's doubts and one's [mental] illnesses, where the shifting, coalescing shadows lurk. It scares you because it's so true, whether one talks about cats, reincarnated carpets, Zombies, Ghouls, or guts. This is the kind of humor I love: Humor that leaves a stain in your mind.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-25-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: changed "before" to "after"
Old 04-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #67
kad032000
Connoisseur
kad032000 doesn't litterkad032000 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
For me bad taste is only when you go after what people consider sacred or dear. It doesn't have be be religious attack but a lot are.
To me, these are the best jokes. When you can no longer laugh at something you are a part of is when you start to blindly accept things, which I find to be a much greater sin than bad taste.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #68
kad032000
Connoisseur
kad032000 doesn't litterkad032000 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Certain (types of) jokes I may not find funny, but I don't consider them in bad taste. I just don't find them amusing. For example, I find 95% of bathroom humor pretty bland. Probably because I'm neither embarrassed nor disgusted by bodily functions, thus it holds no shock value for me.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #69
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad032000 View Post
Certain (types of) jokes I may not find funny, but I don't consider them in bad taste. I just don't find them amusing. For example, I find 95% of bathroom humor pretty bland. Probably because I'm neither embarrassed nor disgusted by bodily functions, thus it holds no shock value for me.

I'm somewhat in agreement with you on that.

BUT:

I want a joke to shock the hell out of you and move you away from your comfortable niche where you knit stockings all day long in front of a lazy calico.

I'm not after a "feel-good" joke: Leave that to Grandma and Grandpa. I want to touch that corpse and shove it forward into that raging night. Or, better yet - much better, in fact: get that corpse animated, whether it be feline or human, and have those dead limbs dance a crazy Cumbian tune on a windy night when the wind blows dementedly down dark alleys to touch the hidden parts of the human psyche.

Or give me a lollipop - a blood-red one, please.

Don
Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #70
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
OK:

How are Princess Diana and a mobile phone similar?
They both die in tunnels.

Anything you wouldn't like to see a joke about? 9/11? Asian tsunami? Are some things just too tragic? How long after till jokes become acceptable?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #71
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
OK:

How are Princess Diana and a mobile phone similar?
They both die in tunnels.

Anything you wouldn't like to see a joke about? 9/11? Asian tsunami? Are some things just too tragic? How long after till jokes become acceptable?

That's a joke in bad taste.

I'm rationalizing it this way due to the fact that so many people seem to admire this dead woman. I don't know her and I don't admire her, so I don't personally find the joke offensive or in bad taste. I DO, however, like it because it's in bad taste. But even if I did find it offensive to me personally, I would claim that you have the right to say it as a joke. (I like horror novels, and that's why I like jokes about ambulatory dead things.) Some people, however, would find the above joke offensive.

Some people would find toilet paper offensive because of what it's used for.

Current jokes about 9/11 are on an entirely different level - one would have to be certifiably insane to joke about that issue. Jokes of that nature will probably become acceptable in a decade or two. However, I'm only guessing.

I would personally like to say more in this post, but I need to move on.

Don
Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #72
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Yes, I guess some people would find Diana jokes offensive. Personally, I don't as I was never an admirer of hers.

I'm interested though as to why 9/11 jokes are still taboo? I have heard some, but have never passed them on even in private conversations, and certainly wouldn't in a public forum like this - I consider myself quite unshockable in general and so I'm struggling to understand my own feelings on that.

Quite possibly not a subject for further conversation other than to say that perhaps we've found at least one boundary?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #73
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
So Don, you'd like th joke about the dead gunslinger (Doc Holliday - who died from TB) in the old west. It rained the day they were taking him up to boot hill. The hill was so steep that the casket slipped out of the hearse and started sliding down the hill, picking up speed as it went. It slammed into the apothecary shop, hit the counter, popped open, the corpse set up & said, "Doc, you got anything to stop this coffin?"

Old 04-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #74
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
So Don, you'd like th joke about the dead gunslinger (Doc Holliday - who died from TB) in the old west. It rained the day they were taking him up to boot hill. The hill was so steep that the casket slipped out of the hearse and started sliding down the hill, picking up speed as it went. It slammed into the apothecary shop, hit the counter, popped open, the corpse set up & said, "Doc, you got anything to stop this coffin?"

Yes!!!!

I do like "clean" dead jokes.

And it's nice to meet someone with an unadulterated sense of humor.

I'm working on a theory that one must be alive to enjoy jokes about dead things or things soon-to-be-dead. And one must be dead to find no enjoyment in dead things or things soon-to-be-dead.

This is a paradox, indeed: "Alive likes Dead." And: "Dead Likes Alive."

There's a dissertation in there, somewhere.

Arf-arf and meow!!

Don
Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #75
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
When is HUMOR in "Bad" taste?

When it reaches one's mouth?

As beauty is in the eye of the beholder, bad taste is in the memory of the listener...

Any joke is always in bad taste to someone. There is no pleasing everybody.

Most jokes today have to reach fast and deep. Why? Media bombardment.
Closed Thread