Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #286
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Or Town and Country?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #287
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
October seems a natural time for a nod to Halloween--maybe Thrills and Chills, or Something Wicked This Way Comes, or Things That Go Bump in the Night.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #288
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
October seems a natural time for a nod to Halloween--maybe Thrills and Chills, or Something Wicked This Way Comes, or Things That Go Bump in the Night.
Good idea. I'll second Something Wicked This Way Comes. And as a free entry in the vote, we'll start with Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. It can go right to the vote with whatever else is nominated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #289
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Or Town and Country?
If we use this one, we can have books about cars, food, animals, veterinarians, estate agents, clothes, bands (music), insurance, natural gas, care homes, and lots more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #290
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed - it should cover quite a lot of topics!
Advert
Old 05-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #291
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have a new idea for a theme. Retellings. Defined by Goodreads as "A new version of an older story. Sometimes, a fairy tale or myth may be reimagined with a modernized setting or retold from a minor character's perspective." For example, I recently read Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie which is a retelling of Antigone set in modern London.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #292
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I have a new idea for a theme. Retellings. Defined by Goodreads as "A new version of an older story. Sometimes, a fairy tale or myth may be reimagined with a modernized setting or retold from a minor character's perspective." For example, I recently read Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie which is a retelling of Antigone set in modern London.
Oh, I like that idea! Another recent example is the novels by Madeline Miller. And there's always Ulysses! (I kid, I kid.) Tons of possibilities.

And since it's been raised: I think we're set with themes through September. I thought maybe June would be a good time to hash out another six months. Thoughts?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #293
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tend to like themes that match the seasons, so something relating to Halloween/autumn for October, and winter/winter holidays for December.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #294
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I like this idea too. It could cover books like Home Fire, and also books that cover a well-known story from a different point of view. The first one I ever read was Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, a brilliant version of Jane Eyre from the point of view of Mr Rochester’s first wife.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:26 PM   #295
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
I tend to like themes that match the seasons, so something relating to Halloween/autumn for October, and winter/winter holidays for December.
Well, for some of us it’s summer holidays at that time of year! However, Southern Hemisphere people are used to coping with the idea of two seasons at the same time.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #296
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, for some of us it’s summer holidays at that time of year! However, Southern Hemisphere people are used to coping with the idea of two seasons at the same time.
Eek. I was trying to be inclusive (and brief) without specifying Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, etc. Can't win!
Old 05-06-2018, 12:27 AM   #297
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Definitely not! However, as it would be winter for the majority of members, I’m sure we SH people could cope. It’s a bit like being a left-hander in a right-handed world.

I missed answering issybird’s query. June sounds about right to me for working out the next lot of themes.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #298
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Quote:
The Antipodeans would be entirely justified in nominating Christmas books in July, when the topic is summer. They could get some of their own back.

Two of the next three topics (July and September) are seasonal at that.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #299
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

In Australia people do have "Christmas in July" dinner parties with the big traditional meals including flaming plum puddings with brandy sauce. It makes much more sense in winter than in summer.

But seriously, it's no problem as far as I'm concerned, and I'm sure gmw would be okay with northern hemisphere seasonal stuff too if people decided they want to go that way. I think we are the only Antipodeans in the Club.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #300
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I am no stranger to hot Christmas dinner even when it is 40C+ outside (and I hate to think what it was like for Mum to actually cook them!). And, as we sat there sweltering, all the Christmas cards on the mantelpiece showed snow, and Bing Crosby would be singing: "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!". These were sentiments we could well appreciate, but the only chance of that was a beautiful tree outside my parents place that was called "Snow in Summer".

So, while I reserve the right to make digs about the contrast between north and south, I have no problem with reading themes that follow northern hemisphere seasons.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote