Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #196
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Bental View Post
HI I just got a second hand Kindle PW3
- serial G090 G105
- firmware: 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011) (come from the box I think)
- registered
- no special offers
- sold in Switzerland
- I stopped OTA by adding "update.bin.tmp.partial" directory

I'd like to install Koreader on it.
What should I do to jailbreak?
Should I remove OTA and allow update to 5.11.1.1?
What are chanches of briking it during jailbreak process?
Many thaks for your help
Follow the instructions in the first post in the thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313086 and you should be fine.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #197
Carl Bental
Carl Bental began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Sorry to bother again..

Wiki states:

"There is a single, complex, special case for 5.8.9.0.1 firmware version. If you get a Kindle with that firmware version, please just post in this thread before you do anything to it, your device **might** be one of the rare exceptions."

Just curious (and a bit paranoic), what are causes/peculiarities that caused bricked devices for 5.8.9.0.1?
I'm not 100% sure of characteristics I reported (the device is second-hand).
I'd like to minimize risks...
Carl Bental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #198
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Bental View Post
Wiki states:

"There is a single, complex, special case for 5.8.9.0.1 firmware version. If you get a Kindle with that firmware version, please just post in this thread before you do anything to it, your device **might** be one of the rare exceptions."

Just curious (and a bit paranoic), what are causes/peculiarities that caused bricked devices for 5.8.9.0.1?
I'm not 100% sure of characteristics I reported (the device is second-hand).
I'd like to minimize risks...
Likely unsupported motherboard revision. The factory fw 5.9.6.1 is probably a safer option. It's newer so more hardware revisions are supported. I've yet to see a report of bricking on 5.9.6.1.

Alas, you do lose Kindlet (azw2) support with 5.9.x.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #199
Carl Bental
Carl Bental began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
it worked as a charm!!!
Many thank. Great Job.
Carl Bental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:05 AM   #200
TeachingBudha
TeachingBudha began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Hello everyone.

I have been observing you guys and wanted to JB my KT2 that upgraded OTA to 5.8.9 since 2017. It has had no connection to wi-fi since it got the 5.8.9 update.

I just tried the "5.8.9.0.1" method described above with no luck, it gets erased as soon as I eject it from my pc USB

Seeing that I have read ALL (23) the books I got in my e-book fever 2 years ago, I will have to let go the JB dream, enable wi-fi again and be able to get more ebooks from Amazon.

It was not useful for my special case, but I really appreciate this community, kudos to knc1.
TeachingBudha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:30 AM   #201
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@TeachingBudha: A KT2 is not a PW3?

So, consider yourself lucky it aborted safely, because flashing a PW3 factory FW on a KT2 would have gone through like a knife in butter. Except replace butter with your Kindle's guts. (You'd have bricked it).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #202
Schiavone
Schiavone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hi knc1 and thank you

Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet? No.
Is it a "refurbished" device? Yes.
Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version? It arrived with it.
Is it registered?
Does it have ads (Special Offers)? It came with ads but they were already removed.
Does it have a pass-code protection or parental controls enabled? No.
What country was it sold in? USA
What country was it delivered to? USA
Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller (on-line or brick&mortar). Amazon
Schiavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:38 PM   #203
Shahinshokoohi
Shahinshokoohi began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 3
Hi, i have oasis 3. I need to jailbreak it.please help me. Thanks
Shahinshokoohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #204
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Shahinshokoohi: Double-posting won't magically change the answer (which, again, is: you can't).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote