Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 AM   #1
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Icarus Illumina XL HD (Boyue Likebook Plus) - USB networking and rooting

I must connect the Icarus Illumina XL HD (or "Boyue Likebook Plus twin") to my desktop devices through a USB network connection.
Tethering appears to be disabled.

To control networking from Android shell, I need to root the device.

How can I enable thethering on the device, and/or how can I root it?
To my dismay and utter displeasure, Cydia Impactor 0.9.42 cannot do the job.

Last edited by mdp; 10-18-2017 at 02:47 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:35 AM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I managed to root the device, using root-master-3.0-english.apk . Thanks go to colibris who divulged that, pero en español, por que el no es todo todo democrático. : )

Also, the expected commands of

Code:
setprop sys.usb.config rndis
sleep 1 
ifconfig rndis0 192.168.22.2
netcfg
(above in a "script" version) do their job to set up the network and check results. Note: the standard sys.usb.config setting ('mass_storage,adb') does not reset automatically upon e.g. disconnecting the cable. You must issue the explicit command, or reboot etc.

Last edited by mdp; 10-18-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I managed to root the device, using root-master-3.0-english.apk . Thanks go to colibris who divulged that, pero en español, por que el no es todo todo democrático. : )
Sorry about that, I forgot to post it here . I just linked to a longer review in a Spanish forum in case anyone could be interested (I hope it is not against the forum rules and if it is I can delete it). I used Root Master 1.3.6 Cekas version (found in this forum) for my root and have added a short comment to my original post.
In any case, if you had asked me in the thread I would have been happy to tell you.
Thanks for posting your results with the USB network and happy to see more people is getting the device so we can compare opinions and ideas.

Last edited by colibris79; 10-18-2017 at 07:03 PM.
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
Cronix
Cronix began at the beginning.

Device: Illumia Icarus XL HD
nice to see someone else also digging around,
have a look at my thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291342
ive posted a few findings and a rom dump there already
Cronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:50 AM   #5
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronix View Post
nice to see someone else also digging around,
have a look at my thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291342
ive posted a few findings and a rom dump there already
Thanks for the feedback,
I do not know how, but I missed your post. I have checked your thread today (I am still to go through your files).
Advert
Old 10-24-2017, 01:10 AM   #6
mdp
Wizard

A few days ago I verified that the tool I wrote for Onyx devices to start tethering also works on the Icarus.
You can download the .apk in the original post. Below is the reference:

Quote:
Given that enabling USB networking on the Onyx firmware is tricky, to simplify this step I just prepared an application: UsbNetworking.apk (remove the appended '.zip', only there in order to upload the file).
[...]
Unfortunately, you must have rooted the device to make it work: only the "system administrator" can apparently play with USB and its networking.
[...]
The application has two buttons - enable and disable. Provided you are connected through a USB cable, "Enabling" will start networking with the system at the other side of the cable and set an address for the device as "192.168.22.2" (you can then set the other system as something like "192.168.22.1" and start connection between any server and client on the opposite sides). "Disabling" will just revert to normality. If any button returns a "warning [no effect yet]" message, you are encouraged to press again.
[...] Of course, responsibility remains with those who try.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:13 AM   #7
mrm100
mrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enoughmrm100 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW / Kobo Aura One (poss)
Quote:
I must connect the Icarus Illumina XL HD (or "Boyue Likebook Plus twin")
Are these the same device? I can't see any difference at all other than branding?
mrm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:41 AM   #8
fernsruben
Connoisseur
fernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura, Galaxy Tab 3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm100 View Post
Are these the same device? I can't see any difference at all other than branding?
Absolutely! Boyue is an OEM company that manufactures e-readers for companies like Onyx, Icarus, Tolino, etc.

Probably due to the success of their sales through re-branding, they've decided to brand and sell their own devices in markets where the other brands are not available.

Even the software for Icarus is developed by Boyue. Confirmed with the developers. Apparently Icarus just does basic Build Prop tweaking for regional settings.
fernsruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernsruben View Post
Even the software for Icarus is developed by Boyue. Confirmed with the developers. Apparently Icarus just does basic Build Prop tweaking for regional settings.
Since no OTA updates have been made available via Icarus, does Boyue have a URL for downloading the current firmware version?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-05-2018 at 08:30 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #10
fernsruben
Connoisseur
fernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileReadfernsruben has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura, Galaxy Tab 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Since no OTA updates have been made available via Icarus, does Boyue have a URL for downloading the current firmware version?
So I've posted the update here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3636337

Enjoy!

Sent from my AO5510 using Tapatalk
fernsruben is offline   Reply With Quote