Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Fanchee
Connoisseur
Fanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notes

Device: Aura H20, PRS-350, Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura H20 vs Aura HD comparison photos

I received my H20 yesterday and all I've done thus far is charged it up and put a few fonts on it.

I thought some of you might like to see a direct comparison of the two screens. They are both beautiful, with a slight edge going to the H20 in terms of overall sharpness. But that's just my humble opinion.

Aura HD (espresso) on the left, Aura H20 on the right in all photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412701227.368355.jpg
Views:	1589
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	129331

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412701443.581124.jpg
Views:	1483
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	129332

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412701451.982942.jpg
Views:	1379
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	129333

Last edited by Fanchee; 10-07-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Fanchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanchee View Post
I received my H20 yesterday and all I've done thus far is charged it up and put a few fonts on it.

I thought some of you might like to see a direct comparison of the two screens. They are both beautiful, with a slight edge going to the H20 in terms of overall sharpness. But that's just my humble opinion.

Attachment 129331
Attachment 129332
Attachment 129333
I like your pictures in the first image. You can see the blush on her cheeks n the right compared to the one on the left. Very impressed.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Nice comparison. Thanks!
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
doxallday
Web Crawler
doxallday doesn't litterdoxallday doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanchee View Post

Attachment 129331
Attachment 129332
Attachment 129333
Attachment 129334
Nice pictures, the difference is quite noticeable, unanimous decision in favor of H2O (the last attachment opens with an error). That E-Ink Carta display does show its merits beautifully.
doxallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Fanchee
Connoisseur
Fanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notes

Here's the last image again, not sure how I messed that up!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412703948.057063.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	129336
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
The H20 looks lovely, thanks for the photos
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Now I'm jealous! I just got my Aura HD a couple of months ago--and it has a great screen. But can't justify the upgrade to the H2O--but the screen looks great!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Now I'm jealous! I just got my Aura HD a couple of months ago--and it has a great screen. But can't justify the upgrade to the H2O--but the screen looks great!
I couldn't justify it either and therefore sold my HD, thus turning a mere want for the latest device into something I actually needed.

There is a solution to everything.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I couldn't justify it either and therefore sold my HD, thus turning a mere want for the latest device into something I actually needed.

There is a solution to everything.
That's a thought...but the Aura HD was a birthday present from my husband--so I'd feel bad selling it so shortly after I received it. And I am actually quite happy with it--just have to stop reading all these posts about how great the H2O is
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Fanchee
Connoisseur

I can't really justify both, either. So my HD is up for sale in the marketplace right now. If it doesn't sell, I'm thinking of gifting it to a family member who loves to read.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
That's a thought...but the Aura HD was a birthday present from my husband--so I'd feel bad selling it so shortly after I received it. And I am actually quite happy with it--just have to stop reading all these posts about how great the H2O is
Well, like she says, it's just a slight difference. Not really enough to justify having both, or even replacing, if you are satisfied with your HD, or keeping it for other reasons. I would get the H2O and sell my HD, but really don't see the point, for me.

I would totally buy Fanchee's Espresso HD, if I had the money! Mine is black. But no money at this time.....
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxallday View Post
Nice pictures, the difference is quite noticeable, unanimous decision in favor of H2O (the last attachment opens with an error). That E-Ink Carta display does show its merits beautifully.
Those pictures appear to have been taken with the frontlight on and there's been no mention of calibration or measurement so we don't know if they're the same brightness (the same percentage doesn't necessarily correspond on different models).

So while the H2O looks better in the picture, it's difficult to say from the images whether it's improved screen quality, clearer screen coatings or merely a bit more light on it.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
Those pictures appear to have been taken with the frontlight on and there's been no mention of calibration or measurement so we don't know if they're the same brightness (the same percentage doesn't necessarily correspond on different models).

So while the H2O looks better in the picture, it's difficult to say from the images whether it's improved screen quality, clearer screen coatings or merely a bit more light on it.
This.

For a fair comparison, the devices need to be set to the same nits level and then photographed individually at an angle normal to the display.

That being said, the cover looks a little different, but I don't really see much difference with text.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
Probably a combination of all three! However, that's a good point about the light, especially as I'm sure at least one person has already said that the light on their H2O is a lot brighter than on the HD.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote