Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-06-2018, 05:19 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There's not way I would like to read that. It looks lik an off-centered newspaper article.

But as for hyphens, if that's KF8, you can use the Hyphenate This! plugin for Calibre to add hyphens of you can use the KFX Output plugin to convert to KFX and have hyphens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian5000 View Post
I'm not sure what the issue is. Most pages are fine when it can make it even without hyphenating.

But often it looks like this(see attachment) when hyphens are needed..gets rather annoying sometimes...takes me out of my reading reverie.

Paperwhite 2
Yes, you're viewing a book that doesn't have ET and is on a PPW. That's all. Those are rivers, and that's the way that it works. If you really can't digest it, either get the book in paper, where, with any luck, someone who gives a damn will have justified it properly with judicious hyphenation, OR, crack the book, use the hyphenating plugin-thingy in Calibre, remake the book, and put it on your PPW.

Those are your choices.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, you're viewing a book that doesn't have ET and is on a PPW. That's all. Those are rivers, and that's the way that it works. If you really can't digest it, either get the book in paper, where, with any luck, someone who gives a damn will have justified it properly with judicious hyphenation, OR, crack the book, use the hyphenating plugin-thingy in Calibre, remake the book, and put it on your PPW.

Those are your choices.

Hitch
The plugin you are trying to mention is Hyphenate This!. There is also the KFX conversion plugin to convert to KFX for the enhanced typesetting (standard stuff with RMSDK (ePub)).
Old 04-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The plugin you are trying to mention is Hyphenate This!. There is also the KFX conversion plugin to convert to KFX for the enhanced typesetting (standard stuff with RMSDK (ePub)).
Yup, right, that one. I don't use it, obviously, as we're making commercial books. I don't retrofit my own reading materials; I do this crap all week long. I'm damned if I'm going to be so anal that I'll put in HOURS refitting someone else's-built book, so that I can spend what little time I have free then trying to read it.

By the time I put the time in, all my "free" time would be shot for that week, and I couldn't even look at it until the next. If I'm very, very lucky, I get Sunday off, after starting at 5:30 in the morning and leaving my office around 6-6:30 at night, 6/days/week. I would not, ever, redo someone else's book. If it's that damned bad, I'll tell Amazon. Bugger if I'll spend my own time doing it. I don't see rivers, any longer, when reading on a Kindle. I just don't. It's self-defense, so I don't turn into a loon and start redoing books.

Hitch
Old 04-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #35
damian5000
damian5000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's not way I would like to read that. It looks lik an off-centered newspaper article.

But as for hyphens, if that's KF8, you can use the Hyphenate This! plugin for Calibre to add hyphens of you can use the KFX Output plugin to convert to KFX and have hyphens.
This book is originally an ePub.

Is there anything I can add to ePub CSS to force hypenation when I convert to Mobi? I use online converters generally.

Or, anyway to add the enhanced typesetting?
damian5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #36
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:

Is there anything I can add to ePub CSS to force hypenation when I convert to Mobi? I use online converters generally.

You have to look in the CSS and see what is interfering with it. Most likely there is a hyphens: none; applied to a <p>.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

I think that there's something you can do in Calibre, but someone else will have to speak to it. I don't know enough about Calibre's plugins to be useful, sorry.

Hitch
Old 04-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Check the CSS for any line that has the word hyphen. Delete it. Use the KFX Output plugin to convert the ePub to KFX and if the ePub works with the current version of Kindle Previewer, you'll have a KFX with hyphens.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yup, right, that one. I don't use it, obviously, as we're making commercial books. I don't retrofit my own reading materials; I do this crap all week long. I'm damned if I'm going to be so anal that I'll put in HOURS refitting someone else's-built book, so that I can spend what little time I have free then trying to read it.

By the time I put the time in, all my "free" time would be shot for that week, and I couldn't even look at it until the next. If I'm very, very lucky, I get Sunday off, after starting at 5:30 in the morning and leaving my office around 6-6:30 at night, 6/days/week. I would not, ever, redo someone else's book. If it's that damned bad, I'll tell Amazon. Bugger if I'll spend my own time doing it. I don't see rivers, any longer, when reading on a Kindle. I just don't. It's self-defense, so I don't turn into a loon and start redoing books.

Hitch
I find if you can fix some of the glaring goofs in an ePub rather quickly. I put in my own body and p styles. I then remove all unused CSS. I fix any font sizes in the body text and then fix the large spacing such as the chapter titles. That takes almost no time to do so.

Tags
auto-hyphenisation, hyphenation, hyphens