Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2024, 10:21 AM   #1
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What kind of plastic is my white Libra 2? (Hairline crack repair)

I've searched the web in every way I can think of. I've chatted with Kobo online support. I can't figure out what kind of plastic my white Kobo Libra 2 is made of.

I have a hairline crack in the plastic case. It starts at a corner of the screen, and goes diagonally toward the case corner. I'd like to seal this, most importantly so that the crack doesn't spread, secondarily to keep it waterproofed.

If I know the kind of plastic, then I can find the appropriate adhesive. I don't think there's any way to get down into the crack, so it would have to be a surface covering. Superglue? Epoxy? Who knows....
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:36 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
I've searched the web in every way I can think of. I've chatted with Kobo online support. I can't figure out what kind of plastic my white Kobo Libra 2 is made of.

I have a hairline crack in the plastic case. It starts at a corner of the screen, and goes diagonally toward the case corner. I'd like to seal this, most importantly so that the crack doesn't spread, secondarily to keep it waterproofed.

If I know the kind of plastic, then I can find the appropriate adhesive. I don't think there's any way to get down into the crack, so it would have to be a surface covering. Superglue? Epoxy? Who knows....
You may as well treat your Libra 2 as if it's not waterproof. You won't know if it is or not until it gets wet and if it's not, it could be the end.

So just patch the crack and forget it was ever waterproof.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 01:54 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The original Aura H2O used the case to make it waterproof, hence the ring-seal on the door flap.

The "waterproofing" on the Libra 2 is an interior coating on the circuit board so a crack on the case has no effect.

A crack on glass will propagate often even without any stress, but not not so much on most plastics without stress.

Superglue isn't much good for most plastics and it or epoxy will peel off many. Glues for PVC and Polystyrene work by dissolving the surface. Acrylic aka Perspex uses a cement, though maybe superglue works. Superglue is odd stuff. It will peel off many plastics.

Polyester aka PET and Mylar can't be easily glued, though stuff is glued to them. You'll find tape splices or glue on bottles can be peeled off.

PTFE aka Teflon can't be glued at all.

Polycarbonate doesn't glue easily.

Epoxy is good to glue non-plastics!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 03:36 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
As @Quoth said, the waterproofing for a Libra 2 is a conformal coating from HZO covering the electronics so a crack in the case is not going to have any effect on it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 03:52 PM   #5
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Often the type of plastic is molded into parts in an inconspicuous area. There may be "ABS" or other plastic type molded into the bezel, likely on a flat part of the inside, either alone or along with a resin code. For example, I've got a stand thing that has 06 inside the triangle resin code logo, with PS underneath. It's a polystyrene plastic.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:30 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A pin or similar can apply polystyrene cement as used with kits to polystyrene and it will melt a little. Neatness is nearly impossible.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:51 AM   #7
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Superglue isn't much good for most plastics and it or epoxy will peel off many. Glues for PVC and Polystyrene work by dissolving the surface. Acrylic aka Perspex uses a cement, though maybe superglue works. Superglue is odd stuff. It will peel off many plastics.

Polyester aka PET and Mylar can't be easily glued, though stuff is glued to them. You'll find tape splices or glue on bottles can be peeled off.

PTFE aka Teflon can't be glued at all.

Polycarbonate doesn't glue easily.

Epoxy is good to glue non-plastics!
This is a great list, but I still don't know which kind of plastic I'm dealing with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A pin or similar can apply polystyrene cement as used with kits to polystyrene and it will melt a little. Neatness is nearly impossible.
Is this my best bet? Melting sounds like a good plan for this crack.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:18 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Is this my best bet? Melting sounds like a good plan for this crack.
Only solvent type kit glue for polystyrene if it's polystyrene. It might not be.

It's easy to make it look worse. I'd ignore it or find some nail polish the same colour and use small sewing needle to fill/hide the crack.