Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 12-26-2021, 03:49 AM   #1
Datvigi
Datvigi began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone 13Max
Marvin books now go to beginning of chapter

Sorry to bother. Long time user of Marvin and lurker here. Never had a problem that I couldn’t fix by reading something but very recently with Marvin when I scroll up from the beginning of one chapter instead if putting me at the end of the previous chapter it outs me at the beginning.

I don’t think I changed anything but is there a setting I might have flicked somewhere?
Datvigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I just tried it on iOS 15.1 and then updated to 15.2. It worked as expected both times.

I am using the vertical scroll option (no paging).

Edit:
Just tried in paginated mode and it works there too.

I didn’t see any specific setting that would effect that… but you might try selecting vertical scroll, then back to paginated… or close Marvin completely then restart. The last option would be to uninstall & reinstall.

The only other thing I could think of is if you have tap zones that got all skewumpas… maybe try resetting those???
I hope you get it figured out.

Last edited by Turtle91; 12-26-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
Nonameentered
Nonameentered began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I know it's been a few months, but I experience this issue as well on vertical scroll mode on my iPhone (but not on the iPad). It appears for me even after uninstalling and reinstalling, with the only change to settings being the switch to vertical scroll mode.
Nonameentered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:11 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weird.

Marvin hasn’t changed at all (unfortunately) and it’s working on my iPhone 11… so there has to be something else happening???
Old 09-28-2022, 02:41 AM   #5
legueil
legueil began at the beginning.

Device: iDevice
Same here. That's a huge problem in long chapters and Marvin is now broken for me.

I'm desperately looking for an alternative, but they're all crap one way or another. Maplereads rendering in scroll mode is ugly, Yomu messes up importing more than 100 files at the same time, iBooks and Kindle are shops where reading isn't given much attention to.

Kybook seems to be the best alternative, but it appears to be dead.
legueil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2022, 07:10 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

I just tried it again on my iPhone11(iOS 15.7), in paginate, vertical scroll, portrait, and landscape. It went to the end of the previous chapter/beginning of the next as expected.

I’ll try it with iOS 16 this afternoon, but I’m pretty sure there is some other culprit besides Marvin…

Try uninstalling and reinstalling… that tends to reset everything to defaults.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

I just tried it with iOS 16…with all combinations of paginate/vertical scroll/portrait/landscape and it all worked as expected.

That tells me it’s not a “Marvin being broken” issue. It has to be some setting somewhere…

What device are you using? And have you tried with a different ePub that you know has worked previously??
Old 09-28-2022, 12:49 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Here is something to look at… a setting I haven’t seen since I set it years ago…

Go into ‘EPub Settings’ and scroll down to ‘pagination mode/gestures’. Under 2-finger swipe it has the option to jump 5 or 10 pages. I leave mine set to ‘nothing’ as I don’t use that functionality.

See if that helps?
Old 09-30-2022, 03:35 AM   #9
legueil

Thank you for your input. I tried to set Marvin to paginate and then back to scrolling mode, but to no avail.

I'm on an iPhone 12 Pro on iOS 15 (too afraid of jumping to 16). I didn't try uninstalling and installing again - i will try and tell you the result!
Old 09-30-2022, 09:28 AM   #10
legueil

Okay, here I am again: Same result, even with a fresh install and just switched to scroll view. So it's definitely broken for me.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:47 AM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

That’s very odd. It can’t be Marvin if it works on other devices, so it has to be a setting, or even a conflict (??) with another app. Have you tried it with a different ePub that you know is working? Or even tell me which ePub it is and I can test it on mine.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:48 PM   #12
legueil

I tried it with three books - since I read them in parallel it‘s very annoying. I suspect it‘s some iOS setting since it‘s working for you. I even tried it with a bookmark to no avail.

Thanks so much for the offer to check the books but I think it‘s time for me to let it go now. I switched to Kybook now which is pretty close to what I need. I know that it‘s dead, too. But at least it keeps my reading positions - for now.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:16 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by legueil View Post
Thank you for your input. I tried to set Marvin to paginate and then back to scrolling mode, but to no avail.

I'm on an iPhone 12 Pro on iOS 15 (too afraid of jumping to 16). I didn't try uninstalling and installing again - i will try and tell you the result!
I've gone with iOS 16 on my iPhone SE 2020. Just go for it. It's not harmful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote