Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #31
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Even with the decline of chlorine bleaching, turning wood into pulp and then into paper is not exactly a low environmental impact process. It is both water and energy intensive and releases a witches brew of chemicals. But as one former Minister of Highways for the province of British Columbia said in reference to the stink from a pulp mill, "Air pollution is the smell of money". Flying Phil was a rather colourful character.
My uncle retired from a pulp mill after 46 years and whenever anyone complained about the smell, he would inhale and exclaim "it smells like money to me". He also was a very colorful character. He is 89 now and has Alzheimer's. Everyone at the mill had a nickname and his was Rabbit. He had five children in 4 years.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #32
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I loved LibraryThing in the days of paper books. I've slacked since then because Calibre does basically the same thing for ebooks. I keep meaning to go back, for the chat and reviews and such. I just wish they had a better mobile app.
I don't track my read books on LT, but we still have a paper collection of 854 books (my wife does not eread), and I use LT to track our catalog. The mobile app actually works really well for just indexing. The barcode scanner, in particular, is very useful for me. I just keep the app logged in to prevent any duplicate purchase when we are shopping.

I have no idea how many titles I have read on my reader, but since I started using Calibre, it is 384. But that only represents the last 4 years, and I have had three readers, starting in 2009 with the original Nook.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #33
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
on my current ereader (had it 14 months) have read over 200 books. I only purchase a new reader when my old one kicks the bucket
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #34
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
About 185 books across two e-ink devices. Now I read exclusively on an iPad/iPhone.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #35
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Even with the decline of chlorine bleaching, turning wood into pulp and then into paper is not exactly a low environmental impact process. It is both water and energy intensive and releases a witches brew of chemicals. But as one former Minister of Highways for the province of British Columbia said in reference to the stink from a pulp mill, "Air pollution is the smell of money". Flying Phil was a rather colourful character.
I had forgotten that at one time when I was young I lived not too far from a paper mill. Fortunately I was upwind of it but when the wind turned it got pretty bad. Thanks for reminding me but if it's okay with you I'm going to try to forget it again.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
...But as one former Minister of Highways for the province of British Columbia said in reference to the stink from a pulp mill, "Air pollution is the smell of money". ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My uncle retired from a pulp mill after 46 years and whenever anyone complained about the smell, he would inhale and exclaim "it smells like money to me".
I maintained the phone system for a while at the (then) James River Paper Mill in Camas, Washington (I think it's owned by Georgia-Pacific now, but they've closed most of the mill down now, I think they only make "soft" (toilet) paper there now, used to make a lot copy paper). They used that same line "smells like money," but (being clever in my own mind) I would reply, "money must stink, then." (I chose my audience pretty carefully for this "clever" remark, however.) Those chemicals were pretty miserable. We had one area of the mill where I couldn't put in the newest digital phones because they would only last a couple weeks or a month in that chemical smelling air. We had to use the old mechanical ones. I tried to spend as little time in that area as I could. Hemp takes a lot less work than wood pulp, but then DuPont couldn't have made a fortune on their patented chemicals required for turning wood into pulp. (Not a fan of DuPont.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:44 PM   #37
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastaenthusiast View Post
I was reading about the environmental impact of paper vs ebooks lately and it got me thinking about how many books we read on ereaders.
If you keep track or want to hazard a guess- how many books have you read on your specific ereader?
I have a Kobo Aura One and I just hit the 60 book mark on that reader. I read about half paper and half ebooks. I don't plan to upgrade my ereader soon so I hope to hit at least 100 before I need to buy a new reader.
Barely 2% of my reading is paper books, so in the 6+ years I've had an ereader, I've must have read several hundred, if the 43 in the last two months since getting my Aura H2O2 is any guide
Old 01-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #38
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Including all of my eReaders I owned during last 8 years, I have certainly read more than 1000 books. Nowadays I don't find enough time to read and my TBR is stuck at 800+ which is a worry for me.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #39
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
the first ereader I bought, in 2008 I think, was an lBook and I read 258 books on it, after that, around 2013, I bought a kobo glo, it still is my main ereader and I've read 909 books on it. Last year I bought a kindle that I only use for KU and I'm currently reading book 76.

I haven't read a single paper book since I bought my first ereader, at the time I had new paper books that to this day I haven't read, I tried several times, but I much prefer the ereader to a heavy paper book so I always give up.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've read all of the books on my ereader. Every single one of them.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #41
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've read all of the books on my ereader. Every single one of them.
All of them? Including all the legalese stuff that came with it?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
All of them? Including all the legalese stuff that came with it?
If it's a book, and it's on my ereader, I've read it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #43
Sissinghurst
Sissinghurst began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have owned 5 ereaders but 4 of those were second hand. On the 3 second-hand ones I used (one only just acquired) I've finished a total of about 180 books if I've put everything I read into the read collections. There are a lot of others I've read in part. The (new) Nook was very slow and I only read maybe 20 books on it - though I gave it to someone who was going to root it and reuse it, as rooted Nooks seem to have quite a few uses, so it also didn't go to waste. I will be selling on one of the Kindles soon so it will get a third user. I only replaced it because it was low capacity, only 2GB and it was getting slow because it was nearly full. There wasn't a higher capacity second hand one around to buy at the time I got that one 2 or 3 years ago.

I've also read some books on a tablet which I'd have for other uses anyway. Maybe 20-30.

I always used to buy a tremendous quantity of books I didn't get round to reading properly for a long time, though, so that 180 isn't properly representative of paper books not purchased. In environmental impact, it's the manufacture (and then purchase) of the new item that counts, not whether, in the case of something like a paper book that needs no power to operate, the consumer uses it.

The returns system in publishing, where many bookstores send unsold copies back to publishers for pulping, and all the transport involved in that, is another factor to take into account for paper books. They don't just keep books until they sell them. They get in more copies than they will sell of some new titles and this makes appealing displays.

Last edited by Sissinghurst; 01-06-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Sissinghurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #44
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If it's a book, and it's on my ereader, I've read it.
i'm sorry that you don't have anything else ready to read if there is no network
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
i'm sorry that you don't have anything else ready to read if there is no network
Yep - for me one of the major benefits of a reading device is the ability to have immediate access to large numbers of books. I remember well in the "olden days" how I used to agonise when packing for a trip which two or three paperbacks to take with me!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote