Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
rezendes
rezendes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5th Generation paperwhite
Best approach for koreader + reflow for journal paper reading?

I use Koreader with PDF reflow for reading research journal papers (it's truly wonderful), and very frequently need to jump between the main text and the references section at the back of the doc. That's a common use case for reading research pubs, and many folks still print journal PDFs because hardcopy works well for jumping back and forth.

Hyperlinks won't work for at least two reasons:
  • PDF reflow uses bitmapped image content rather than text and hyperlinks
  • Many PDFs simply don't have hyperlinks, especially older PDFs

Given that, what's the best approach to jump back and forth in a document?

A few clunky approaches:
  • Sometimes I put a permanent bookmark at the references section, and a temporary bookmark in the text body. When done looking at a reference, I jump back to the temporary bookmark and delete it. This is pretty clunky as bookmarks are designed for very different use cases.
  • Flipping mode is an alternative, but that too is pretty clunky for this purpose.
  • Some PDFs have a TOC, which makes it easy to jump to the references section, but it's then clunky to navigate back to the page I was reading.

What's the best approach for this use case of reading research papers?

Thanks everyone!
rezendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
rezendes
rezendes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5th Generation paperwhite
Quick update -- found a good solution while browsing the source code. The essential clue was in https://github.com/koreader/koreader...readerlink.lua: swipe_to_jump_to_latest_bookmark and swipe_to_go_back. These are in the menu: Gear / links / {Swipe to go back, Swipe to jump to latest bookmark}. Also see comments by @poire-z in https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/3654

With both options enabled, I can easily jump to the references section and back to the body text.

Another KOReader happy customer!
rezendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Glad you found it!
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journal articles, koreader, pdf, quick navigation