Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
chilligirl
chilligirl began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Can I improve battery life on Kobo touch? Has anyone had battery replaced?

I have a kobo touch. I hadn't used it for over a year and when I got it out of the box it was completely dead, wouldn't turn on and the lights wouldn't come on when I connected the charger or connected it via USB to a PC, no matter how long I left it.

I got in touch with Kobo support and they advised me to do a forced reset which I did and the kobo now turns on and charges.

However, it does not hold its charge at all! It shows as fully charged, but then as soon as I start using it (with wifi turned off) it discharges within a few page turns and asks me to charge it again.

Is there anything I can do to get the battery working properly again, or is it junk now?

I can see Kobo will replace the battery but the cost is around £45 GBP which seems rather steep. They say they will replace the device if the battery can't be repaired, but I'd be worried about getting a tablet in exchange rather than an e-ink reader. Has anyone used this service? If kobo replaced your device, what did you get in exchange?

Last edited by chilligirl; 02-08-2017 at 08:04 AM. Reason: clarity
chilligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've never heard of Kobo offering a battery replacement program before. Do you have a link you can share?

Some have bought a battery from AliExpress and replaced it themselves.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
I'd be really shocked if they replaced your device with anything else apart from the same model of device.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, since Kobo no longer sell Tablets I doubt very much they would replace it with one.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've never heard of Kobo offering a battery replacement program before. Do you have a link you can share?
I know nothing about it, but I found this on the Kobo website...
Kobo Component Replacement Program
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Interesting. That form only applies to the UK
Old 02-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
chilligirl
chilligirl began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
That's the form I found when I was googling replace kobo batttery. I followed the process through and it was telling me 58 USD including shipping which seems a little expensive
chilligirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, kobo touch