Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
jcrawfordx
jcrawfordx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Calibre won't load

A few days ago I found I could no longer fire up v.0.9.23 Calibre 64bit (on my Win7 64 bit computer)

It will "load library" but hangs at the "loading user interface" screen. It just stops dead.

Calibre has been working fine on my machine for the last several months. This problem suddenly appeared a few days ago. All of my other applications seem to work fine.

I tried uninstalling it and then reinstalled it with a fresh copy. Same problem...

I know this could be the result of any number of glitches. Can anyone offer some ideas as to where to start looking to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
jcrawfordx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrawfordx View Post
A few days ago I found I could no longer fire up v.0.9.23 Calibre 64bit (on my Win7 64 bit computer)

It will "load library" but hangs at the "loading user interface" screen. It just stops dead.

Calibre has been working fine on my machine for the last several months. This problem suddenly appeared a few days ago. All of my other applications seem to work fine.

I tried uninstalling it and then reinstalled it with a fresh copy. Same problem...

I know this could be the result of any number of glitches. Can anyone offer some ideas as to where to start looking to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
Have you eliminated the 'known incompatibilities' listed in the FAQ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What theducks said and

Did you install any new hardware/software or upgrade any applications recently and do they have any run all the time components

Have a look at what processes are running with task manager - ctrl/shift/escape - if there's anything you don't recognise investigate with the view to getting rid of them.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Kwality
Fervent Reader
Kwality began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire HD
I'm finding that the latest 64 bit version of Calibre takes an age to initialise the user interface whereas previous versions, albeit slow, were much quicker (Win7 64 bit computer)

Interesting to see that someone is having a similar, even worse problem at the same time. I'm hoping that the next release will fix this or I shall revert to earlier versions.
Kwality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwality View Post
I'm finding that the latest 64 bit version of Calibre takes an age to initialise the user interface whereas previous versions, albeit slow, were much quicker (Win7 64 bit computer)

Interesting to see that someone is having a similar, even worse problem at the same time. I'm hoping that the next release will fix this or I shall revert to earlier versions.
This may simply be a QT5 issue as Sigil also take time to initilize.
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calibre's loading just as quick as it always did for me - 1-2 secs max on an idle system for a 20,000+ book library.

I run 32bit Calibre on Win7 Pro 64bit with 6g memory and an i5.

I start Calibre in a specific view (View Manager), I don't show the 'splash' because there's never been a long delay. View Manager has an option to start Calibre in the 'where I was state' - trying turning it off.

I don't run Sigil often enough to know whether its changed

Maybe its the 'wireless tunnels breeding like rabbits' problem - see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193686 The first glimmer of a solution, posted by Peter T, appears at post 50.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Calibre's loading just as quick as it always did for me - 1-2 secs max on an idle system for a 20,000+ book library.

I run 32bit Calibre on Win7 Pro 64bit with 6g memory and an i5.

I start Calibre in a specific view (View Manager), I don't show the 'splash' because there's never been a long delay. View Manager has an option to start Calibre in the 'where I was state' - trying turning it off.

I don't run Sigil often enough to know whether its changed

Maybe its the 'wireless tunnels breeding like rabbits' problem - see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193686 The first glimmer of a solution, posted by Peter T, appears at post 50.

BR
On XP, it is a 36 count (1,2,3...) for Calibre to fully start. (Firefox and Calibre. P4 3.2 w/2 GRAM)

Splash> Windows Frame> Upper half Library> Lower Half Library

5K books, colored columns, custom columns, No 'from other columns', no tag browser showing, no details showing, no Cover Browser showing. "Just the Titles, Mam ' "
Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There have been no changes to startup in any recent calibre release. If you find it's unusually slow, your antivirus program is most likely interfering.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There have been no changes to startup in any recent calibre release. If you find it's unusually slow, your antivirus program is most likely interfering.
This is really not new for me; it seem to be about 10 seconds slower than it was a year ago. I just live with it.

AVG free has been told to exclude the Library folder (Task Manager does not show additional AVG activity, so I believe the exclusion took).

I probably have a sick piece of hardware as I see similar performance when boot into Ubuntu Oneric, it just does not show up on the diagnostics
(I suspect something in the DMA channel as there are just unexplained pauses)
Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Have you checked your Hard Drive? Sometimes slow load times can signal a Hard Drive that is starting to fail. Do not ask me how I know that.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Have you checked your Hard Drive? Sometimes slow load times can signal a Hard Drive that is starting to fail. Do not ask me how I know that.
Apache
s.m.a.r.t. status is easily readable in Ubuntu (Disk Manager) : Green, with no marginal values.

The Event viewer in windows can also give clues to drive problems (no where near as friendly to see). I was doing service on my wife's Dell when I spotted a few 'disk retry' type messages, A quick trip to Fry's and an hour to clone the drive resolved a possible big problem with little pain.

Whatever it is, it is good at hiding. a 15-20 second 'pause' (even the task manager graphs stop moving). Process explorer does not show unusually high (commit) activity.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
s.m.a.r.t. status is easily readable in Ubuntu (Disk Manager) : Green, with no marginal values.

The Event viewer in windows can also give clues to drive problems (no where near as friendly to see). I was doing service on my wife's Dell when I spotted a few 'disk retry' type messages, A quick trip to Fry's and an hour to clone the drive resolved a possible big problem with little pain.

Whatever it is, it is good at hiding. a 15-20 second 'pause' (even the task manager graphs stop moving). Process explorer does not show unusually high (commit) activity.
1. When was the battery for the bios memory checked/changed?

2. If the battery is good then reset/clear the bios.

3. Your southbridge chip might be going bad or overheating. A good check for this is to defrag your hd.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
1. When was the battery for the bios memory checked/changed?

2. If the battery is good then reset/clear the bios.

3. Your southbridge chip might be going bad or overheating. A good check for this is to defrag your hd.

bernie
1) Last year
2) all setting verified (I have disabled the built in NET, Floppy)
3) southbridge? the 82801EB? (I routinely de-lint (I have a few cats )
3b) Defrags are regularly done (2 internal, 1 USB attached). Ever drive has multi-gigs of free space. Swap is on the largest (AND newest SATA drive)