Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #1201
chompop
chompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolate

Device: KK,PWM,PW4,KO2,i86,n96ml,Forma
Is there an option to import file from azw3 format?

My current workflows are like this.

Convert bought manga from amazon to epub using calibre > extract image folder from epub file > rename cover.jpg to '0000' and move it to the extracted folder > use KCC to convert image folder to cbz for my kobo/onyx devices.

Sometime I bought manga in multiple volume when it goes on sale. Hope there is a way to shorten workflow above.

Thank you in advance.
chompop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #1202
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
There's a Calibre plugin (KindleUnpack?) that can extract azw3 files directly without requiring intermediate conversion to epub.

Actually, I think Calibre may already have a hidden option to unpack azw3 files.

Edit:
Yep, there's a built-in feature in Calibre for extracting azw3 and epub files called "Unpack book". You just need to add the shortcut to the toolbar and/or right-click/context menu.

The KindleUnpack plugin can extract both mobi and azw3.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-20-2018 at 01:54 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #1203
chompop
chompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolatechompop is generous with chocolate

Thank you ilovejedd. I will look into KindleUnpack for details.

Can't find the "unpack book" built-in feature in Calibre. Is it in preferences?
Old 12-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #1204
chompop

Never mind. Found it in Toolbars preferences.

Thank you again for guide me the way.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #1205
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I'm just letting know that I'm not dead :-P

New maintenance release of KCC is long overdue but I need to take care some IRL stuff first before I can return to this project with a clear mind.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #1206
Unpluggt
Unpluggt began at the beginning.

Device: SM-A520F
Exclamation KCC -> Smartphone (CBZ to EPUB)

Hello,

First of all thanks for your awesome tool!
But i dont get the right resolution for my smartphone (SM-A520F//1.080x1.920px//5,2").

if i try Kindle Series or kobo as Target device the i will get big white frames: (Stretch/Upscale checked)

if i try with costum resolution i get only double pages: (with Spead Splitter unchecked)

maybe Spead Splitter option buggy?

this is shit because you need to zoom in every single page! the original has only 1 image each site, this is much more comfortable. You only need to swipe to next site without zoom in. With kindle mode i have 1 image each site but the borders are so big that i need to zoom in too.

i want to look like the original:

my input is cbz file with image resolution 841x1280 and i need a epub file for google books.
If i view a image on my phone it has der perfekt resolution:

KCC 5.4.5 windows 10

since 6 days it try to find the right setting...
I hope someone here can help me.

Last edited by Unpluggt; 01-20-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Unpluggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #1207
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This tool is definitely not created to optimise content for smartphones.

Don't convert it at all. Just use bare files and some reader software like Perfect Viewer.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #1208
Unpluggt

i want to have all my mangas in google books because i can read them of all my devices and i can set a bookmark but for this i need a epub. KCC is the best converter where i can find and had all needed options.

with costum resolution i dont had the big borders but double pages...

i dont understand why the converter makes double page at 1080x1920 resolution.
but i can make it bigger or smaller at any costum resolution are double pages.

maybe a option to cut the double pages will be a solution. So it will be a great converter for smartphone too.

Last edited by Unpluggt; 01-20-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #1209
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I don't believe it is KCC that is causing your double pages. I don't know all the exact settings you are using, but it feels to me like it is Google Play Books that is forcing the display to double pages. If I convert a comic to epub, even with custom resolution, and read it on my reader devices, it shows properly with one comic page per reader page turn (except for double page spreads of course).

Also, don't forget that KCC is doing some behind the scenes image processing to make the comics look better on reader devices. I find that makes manga a bit high contrast to read comfortably on LCD or OLED screens.

How do other manga books look on your phone (ie: epubs not created by conversion using KCC)? Can you share a small sample?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #1210
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpluggt View Post
i want to have all my mangas in google books because i can read them of all my devices and i can set a bookmark but for this i need a epub. KCC is the best converter where i can find and had all needed options.
Just a thought, couldn't Perfect Viewer with syncing via cloud storage (e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive) do this as well?

Granted, I haven't used it in a while but I've found Google Play Books to be pretty poor for comics even for ebooks "purchased" (free promos) from Google Play.

I just converted a CBZ to EPUB on KCC 5.4.5:
  • Device: Other
  • Format: EPUB
  • Manga mode: checked
  • Spread splitter: unchecked
  • Stretch/Upscale: checked
  • Custom gamma: checked
  • Gamma: 1.00
  • Custom width: 1080
  • Custom height: 1920
  • all other options: unchecked

Looking at the output EPUB, there were no double pages created. If you see double pages on your phone, then that's probably an issue with Google Play. Open the EPUB with Perfect Viewer on your smartphone to confirm if there are any double pages there.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #1211
Unpluggt

for answers!

@ilovejedd

i do it like you say with the same settings and i install Perfect Viewer on my smartphone. In Google books i still have the double pages. Perfect Viewer show me 1 image on site BUT after every site it shows 1 blank site and if i open epub with IE it show double pages too...

i makes me crazy that the original comic works in google books:

I think it musst be a epub file or im wrong ?

Edit:
I upload a samples (epub+cbz):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/91u3y...ample.rar/file
(i hope i dont break a rule)

Last edited by Unpluggt; 01-22-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #1212
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpluggt View Post
i do it like you say with the same settings and i install Perfect Viewer on my smartphone. In Google books i still have the double pages. Perfect Viewer show me 1 image on site BUT after every site it shows 1 blank site and if i open epub with IE it show double pages too...

i makes me crazy that the original comic works in google books:

I think it musst be a epub file or im wrong ?

Edit:
I upload a samples (epub+cbz):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/91u3y...ample.rar/file
(i hope i dont break a rule)
What is IE? All I can think of is Internet Explorer.

Perfect Viewer wasn't really designed for EPUB files. If you copy the original CBZ file to it (put it on Google Drive or something), Perfect Viewer should handle that quite nicely.

I only asked you to open the EPUB file with Perfect Viewer to confirm one thing:
That it's Google Play Books that is displaying double pages and not KCC that's creating them. I suspect Google Play Books is the issue here, not KCC.

And of course the original comic sold by Google would work. It was designed to work with the app. In order to create a KCC profile that works with the Google Play Books app, we first need a DRM-free sample EPUB file that displays well on the app. Without a good sample, there's really nothing KCC can do.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #1213
VanOmega
VanOmega began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmr_ View Post
I am using an iPad Pro 9.7 and an iPhone 7 as ebook/comic readers. Since the sync functionality with ibooks is pretty useful, I don't want to miss that.
So I tried to convert some .cbz files to .epub files. It worked - but every file is cropped in my iBooks app. On the lower edge I am missing like 1cm of every picture.
I am sure it has something to do with the aspect ratio. When I try to upscale the pictures it will just upscale the height, but not the width. The width will stay on the same ratio as the source file. It's because your software will not fill any margins if I try to convert to epub. When I tried to convert cbz->cbz everything worked as expected.
What am I missing?
If someone still want to do this, I have a method that worked out.

I tested it only with one manga. I download Berserk with the images sizes of 1810x2560, set manga mode, color mode and gamma auto, the catch is, in the Stretch/Upscale mode, leave it Indeterminate, and put in the resolution fields the resolution of the images you want to convert (I believe it's important to have all images at the same size, or at least very close), in my case I put 1810x2560. It worked.
VanOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #1214
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Hello here,
First thank you for this amazing tool, I was able to sideload manga in a better format than the kindle delivered ( cropping is magic)
I have a question though. My files are around 46MB before the conversion and tend to get bigger (between 55 and 70MB) after the conversion for my Kindle Voyage.
Is there a way to stay under 50MB in order to use the cloud for the Kindle and store more manga?
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:53 AM   #1215
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Version 5.5.0 is released!
Due to to technical reasons Linux binaries are currently unavailable.
MacOS release require 10.12+
  • Added support for WebP format
  • Added profiles for Kindle Paperwhite 4 and Kobo Forma
  • All archives are now handled by 7z
  • Removed MCD support
  • Fixed multiple smaller issues

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools