Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #31
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Here comes some trouble...
Win 7
KA1- FW 4.12.12111

1. tried method 2 with script - but on executing it i got dos screen with some red text for a second (or less) and nothing happens no installation, no koreder no plato.

2. then tried method 1
now i have on my homepage
[KFMmon] not spawning kfmon-printing.sh: st ill processing!

3. after starting Plato or koreader (placed in my books) everything seems to work fine.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@forster01:

1. Somewhat to be expected on Win 7, as its PowerShell version is too old. And I don't (can't?) hook the builtin version check to *NOT* close the window automatically, like I do for my own exit codepaths .

EDIT: Updated the script. It should now leave the window open to shout at you that your PowerShell is too old .

2. Yep, you're definitely going to see a "still processing" warning on the first boot after the initial install, that's perfectly normal .
On the other hand, if it persists after a reboot, that's more interesting... ^^.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-14-2019 at 07:48 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #33
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
This probably breaks Overdrive support? Thank you for all of your hard work.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@radbaddude: Why would you think that?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:46 AM   #35
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@radbaddude: Why would you think that?
I haven't ran KOreader in a few years and just assumed without nickel the OD integration would cease; gonna have to hook up my Clara this weekend and try this 1 click solution and revisit KOReader. Was just curious about Overdrive as I'm really trying this year to limit my ebook purchases and capitalize on my library's offerings.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #36
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I don't know if Koreader supports overdrive, where I live there is no overdrive, but You can use Nickel for overdrive books and Koreader for other books.
For example with Koreader I can't read books purchased from Kobo (DRM problems I guess) but of course I can still read them in Nickel.

Last edited by ps67; 01-17-2019 at 08:36 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #37
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
KOReader doesn't affect Nickel (the default Kobo reader) one way or the other. But yeah, you probably couldn't open the books in question in KOReader.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #38
radbaddude
Addict

The one-click zip worked fine from my w10 machine for a Clara HD. TYVM for your hard work. Koreader is nice
Old 01-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #39
maximus83
Nameless Being

[QUOTE=forster01;3799292]Here comes some trouble...

2. then tried method 1
now i have on my homepage
[KFMmon] not spawning kfmon-printing.sh: st ill processing!

Same.

Win 10 x64
Clean/new Clara HD
Used method 1 in the OP

Result (after 2nd reboot):
* Message still there: "[KFMmon] not spawning kfmon-printing.sh: still processing!"
* KOReader appears in my list of books. As does a KFMon artifact (a PNG file) that appears in my booklist with log file information. The log info may be normal but could confuse some users.
* KOReader opens larger books (8MB and above) EXTREMELY slowly, probably taking 10x as long as Kobo software. But it does finally get them open and they work normally after that. Enabling some features--such as in-page epub footnotes--takes incredibly long to process and the software appears to hang (although it does not actually hang) and is unresponsive during those long operations. Again, could confuse some users.

Result (3rd reboot):
* The 'not spawning' message is gone.
* Everything seems to work, though larger books still open very slowly.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #40
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@maximus83:
Quote:
Yep, you're definitely going to see a "still processing" warning on the first boot after the initial install, that's perfectly normal .
On the other hand, if it persists after a reboot, that's more interesting... ^^.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #41
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
@maximus83:
Yep in my case, it took the 3rd reboot to clear the message, but it finally went away. No problem for me, could confuse some users.

Is the slow performance on large books a known issue?

Thanks again for the work on this, it is a fantastic app and look forward to seeing how it develops.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #42
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@maximus83: Depends on the internal formatting, probably (as well as the font rendering settings, to some extent).
Old 01-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #43
maximus83
Nameless Being

It's interesting that after that initial super slow load, it now loads much faster when I reopen the book, even after a device reboot. One variable that I changed is I installed the first OTA update, not sure if that improved the load time as well.

The one thing that'll really slow it down is changing a setting on a large book that causes a full-book operation, for example, changing the margins from medium to small. Any setting change like that takes a really long time to finish.

But apart from that, this app is awesome. It's probably the difference between me keeping my Kobo device vs selling or returning it.

Couple more Q's on future features:
1. Do you expect to ever add Onedrive and Gdrive support, in addition to Dropbox?
2. When do you think it is likely that Epub3-compatible notes will be enabled?

Thanks again for all your work on this great app!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #44
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
* KOReader opens larger books (8MB and above) EXTREMELY slowly, probably taking 10x as long as Kobo software.
I don't use nickel at all, so I can't compare it with nickel, but I noticed that the bigger the book, the longer it takes to open it. I don't think it has anything to do with how you start koreader.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #45
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@maximus83: That's perfectly normal, the heavy-lifting done on first load (of a specific document) is then cached (until something happens to invalidate that cache, f.g., after an update of the rendering engine, or some layout-affecting setting changes (font kerning being a good example)).

The answer to both of your questions is whenever someone with an itch to scratch decides to work on it .

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato