Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
jedson303
jedson303 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Editor won't load list of files

I can’t get the edit function to work. When I highlight a file I want to edit, and click the edit icon, an editing page does pop up, but with no list of files – or anything below the bar of icons.
jedson303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Is it one particular book or all books? I'd suspect the former and it sounds like that book has a serious error in its .opf file, either in the <manifest> section or possibly the <spine> section.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think calibre uses the .opf file to determine which files contain text, CSS, images, fonts, etc. before it can assign them to the various file sections in the Editor.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I agree with Jackie
a damaged OPF

Is the a bunch of items in the Misc section (near the bottom)?
Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a simple way to assign them to their proper sections (eg a right-click: move to Text,Images,CSS,Fonts. That would be super)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
jedson303

Hi --
Its all of the files -- both for books that I created and books that I downloaded (that were professionally made.) The files won't show up.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedson303 View Post
Hi --
Its all of the files -- both for books that I created and books that I downloaded (that were professionally made.) The files won't show up.
Do these books have DRM? If so, calibre is not going to be able to edit them until you remove it. Do these books open in the calibre Viewer?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
jedson303

No DRM. I mostly don't use Amazon. No MOBI files. Almost all are EPUBS. About half are ones that I created. This program creates books perfectly, and they display just fine in a couple of different readers. I am just wanting to fine tune some of my files where I don't like the layout. All the other aspects of the program work fine. I love it. I feel like I must be doing something wrong -- that is very simple. Like forgetting to plug in an appliance. I use all Linux programs. Have a Mint OS. Would that effect things.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Without being able to see one of these epubs, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

You can't attach copyright books here, but if you have some kind of cloud account and you want to PM me a link to one of the problem epubs I'll take a closer look if you like.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are you sure you're looking at the File Browser and not some other dockable panel:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	168995

Added: how about posting an image of what you do see.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-11-2019 at 04:44 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #9
jedson303

Problem solved. Odd scenario that might be of interest to people here. I decided that since none of the files were working, the problem had to be in the program itself. So I decided to just uninstall and re-install it, to see what that might do. So I went to the software manager, and discovered that there were three calibre programs listed: One just called Calibre. One called Calibre-bin. And one Calibre (Flatbed). Calibre (Flatbed) was not installed, so I installed it. Then everything worked. I then had two Libre icons in my menu bar. I uninstalled the one that has been there, and everything still works. In any case I thank you for your suggestions and willingness to hang in there with me on this.