Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #16
mtjj
mtjj began at the beginning.

Device: Android, Windows 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the X in the top corner, not back. Or the breadcrumbs bar.
Maybe I'm being dim, but I don't see this? I click on search, authors, "C", then on a specific author. I see "Showing books matching: authors:"=C. J. Cherryh" " or whatever the author's name is. I don't see the breadcrumbs any more, and if I click on "X Clear" it returns me to the home page (full library listing) not the search page I was just looking at. There isn't any X in the top corner?

But actually when double checking I discovered that clicking on the magnifying glass *does* return me to the "C" search page, so I guess that works just as well as what you're saying
mtjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #17
mtjj
mtjj began at the beginning.

Device: Android, Windows 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
That is true, sadly. The problem is that reading PDFs is complex, and the only good code library for doing it is open source (GPL). Because Freda is not an open source application, I cannot use that library. The alternative code libraries are either very expensive, or rather flaky. Actually, I did try using one of the latter, but I subsequently abandoned it, because it did too messy a job of decoding PDF documents (words broken up or spliced together oddly, tables laid out at random, images appearing in the wrong places or not at all, page numbers and headers popping up where you did not want to see them ... ).

But if you want to read a PDF book that is already in your Calibre library, you could consider using Calibre's conversion feature, to convert it into EPUB. That will give decent results (certainly much better than Freda's attempts at presenting PDF content, back when Freda used to attempt to display PDF content).
Yeah, I understand. But unfortunately the tablet I am using is a Yoga Book C930, which in addition to the normal screen has an e-ink screen, but that e-ink screen *only* displays PDFs..... not a problem, I thought, I can just convert in Calibre and download the PDF version instead of the epub.....

It's a shame you can't make Freda open source because I think the open source libraries work pretty well, but I do understand - mine is a bit of an edge case..
mtjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #18
SoccerDad91016
Enthusiast
SoccerDad91016 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8, Microsoft Surface Go 3
I realize this is an older thread, but I just stumbled across it. I have a similar use case that I'm trying to solve for, but I also use Calibre to manage a very large comic library (Over 5,300 CBZ files) and am looking for a way to sync with a Windows 11 surface go 3 tablet/pc.

Previously on my Android tablet I used Calibre Companion to connect wirelessly to my Calibre server running on a Synology NAS.
1. Connect to Calibre via wireless connection from Calibre Companion
2. From Calibre send a subset of my CBZ files to my tablet
3. Read comics
4. Mark read in Calibre Companion
5. Sync read status to Calibre (again via wireless connection).

repeat

Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't see a way to sync read status in bulk back to Calibre via the Content Server

I thought of installing Calibre on my windows tablet, but it's not practical to have my entire library on my tablet given the size. And, unfortunately Calibre still does not play well with a remote library on a NAS device.

Has there been any new developments in the last few years since the last post on this thread?
SoccerDad91016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:49 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just use the calibre content server.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote