Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Hamppu
Hamppu began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
TL3/626 New Firmware caused issues

I recently updated the firmware to version 5.20.346 since it prompted there's an update available.

This made my device slower, it froze when opening bigger books (it didn't do this before), and it didn't open certain DRM-protected books anymore (these opened just fine before the update).

I downloaded the old firmware (v.5.14.1225) so that I could downgrade back. However, now the updating process freezes to about 1/4 of the way.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Hamppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
JohnDae
Connoisseur
JohnDae began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 2
If not doing this already, you could try downgrading by using the hold left-and-right buttons while booting up method. The two firmware files have to be on the root of the device's internal space for this to work.
JohnDae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
Hamppu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDae View Post
If not doing this already, you could try downgrading by using the hold left-and-right buttons while booting up method. The two firmware files have to be on the root of the device's internal space for this to work.
Thanks.

Actually, the device is frozen to the updating screen. Nothing happens. No matter what buttons I try to press. It won't shut down or do anything. The update screen just stays there. Is there any way to force it to shut down?
Old 03-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
JohnDae
Connoisseur

That is not good, I would ask PB support for help at that point. There is a risk of the devide being bricked. To shut the device down if power button is not working, only way I know how is to wait until the battery runs out or open it and remove the battery.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
Hamppu

Quote:
That is not good, I would ask PB support for help at that point. There is a risk of the devide being bricked. To shut the device down if power button is not working, only way I know how is to wait until the battery runs out or open it and remove the battery.
Yep. That's what I was afraid of. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:54 AM   #6
JohnDae
Connoisseur

Also, this is one of those situations where the hard reset button might help if there is the hole near the power button.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Hamppu

Quote:
Also, this is one of those situations where the hard reset button might help if there is the hole near the power button.
I didn't actually realize there might be a hard reset option.

Well, since the device still had warranty left, I took it back to the store today. They didn't have any Touch Lux 3s left, so they gave me a new Touch Lux 4.
Luckily, I didn't have a huge library saved on the device.

Still, also Touch Lux 4 seems to have the same problem that got me into this whole mess. It won't open certain DRM-protected files. These are files available through my local library in cooperation with Overdrive.com.

Or, maybe the problem is with my ADE account, although Touch Lux 3 (before the software update) did open those Overdrive loans just fine. The new device is now prompting a software update. Not sure whether to do it or not.

On the positive side, TL4 seems to handle PDFs much better and faster than TL3.

Last edited by Hamppu; 03-09-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:41 AM   #8
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
There is no Hardreset button, but pressing LEFT+RIGHT+POWER simultanously should do the trick.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #9
markony
curious
markony does all things with Zen-like beautymarkony does all things with Zen-like beautymarkony does all things with Zen-like beautymarkony does all things with Zen-like beautymarkony does all things with Zen-like beautymarkony does all things with Zen-like beautymarkony does all things with Zen-like beautymarkony does all things with Zen-like beautymarkony does all things with Zen-like beautymarkony does all things with Zen-like beautymarkony does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Pocketbook touch lux 3. Onyx Nova 2
For info. I have a Touch Lux 3 and when updated to 5.20 I too could not open DRM protected books. I contacted PB support and they suggested a factory reset, after noting bookmarks and saving any notes needed. The factory reset worked perfectly and the DRM e-books now load. Also noted that opening books second time is now very fast. (I think first time it is creating book profiles).
markony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #10
Hamppu

Thanks, nhedgehog. That's good to know in case the device freezes for some reason.

markony, yep. I also contacted PB support and got the same tip. But the factory reset didn't help + my Overdrive library loans still fail to open on the brand new device I got from the store--they open just fine on my PC.

Also, in addition to the Overdrive loans, my library offers other DRM-protected loans, and these open just fine on the e-reader. I guess the problem is with the Overdrive loans. It's just weird that they worked on the TL3 before updating the firmware to v. 5.20.

Last edited by Hamppu; 03-10-2019 at 07:23 AM.