Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Angry memory card problems

I posted this problem last week in the 505 forum and got no responses. I'm not sure it is actually a Calibre issue, but I'm hoping someone can make a suggestion.

I have 3 different 2GB SD cards that I am using to separate my book collections by genre. The other day, I took out card#1 and inserted card#2 to read something. Then after I finished reading the book, I turned my 505 off and took out card#2 and reinserted card#1. When I turned my reader back on, all the collections were missing from card#1. I checked in Calibre, and sure enough all the books on the SD card had their tags removed.

I deleted all the books from the card and reinstalled them (as they still had their tags in my library.)

Today I took out card#1 and put in card#3, and found that it has ALSO lost all of its tags. GRRRRRRRRR.

In this early stage of organizing, it is not a big deal to delete and reinstall, but this is going to be really irritating if it continues.

Any suggestions? I'm running the most recent version of Calibre and none of my cards have more than 25MB on them.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:22 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I got exactly the same thing happening when I tried using the Sony software to manage collections on my PRS-505. I suspect is something to do with the rebuilding of indexes that the PRS-505 does as soon as you rebuild a card.

The only way I got my collections back was to reformat the card and then re-download all the books to it from Calibre. There may well be an easier way, but that is my experience. I do not know if I could have simply deleted the books rather than re-formatting the card - but reformatting was quicker!
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Thanks for the response, I do appreciate knowing that I'm not the only one.
I can reformat, no problem, however, do you think that changing from one card to another is going to cause this to happen again? If so, that negates the usefulness of having separate HD cards.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
My understanding is that the tags are held in a database in the main memory... I'd imagine the Sony software can't distinguish between cards. So when the database info doesn't match the files on the card (which they won't when you replace the card) it's going to clean the database of the "old" info and replace it with the "new" info from the files on the currently installed card.

Calibre keeps the tags in it's own database on your PC, and updates the device's database as part of the process of copying the book files over.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Each card will have it's own database on it for the file on that card. The database in the main memory is only for the books in the main memory.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert