Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
Mains charger

Hi folks. I am new here so please forgive me if this has been asked before and answered somewhere that I have not found yet.
I bought my 505 about a month ago. I did not buy a mains charger but thought I would be OK with just charging from the computer. However, I decided one day that I would like to charge it at work and took my mains iPod charger. To my surprise the battery drained completely instead of charging.
Like most people I want to save taking loads of chargers on holiday with me, so does anyone know the reason why I cannot use the mains iPod charger? And do I really have to buy the expensive Soney mains charger?
I am in the UK so access to UK shops would be advisable.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes, other people have reported their batteries draining with the wrong charger.

The official sony charger is expensive. But a PSP charger will work just as well, and there are lots of cheap generic ones available.

This thread just might help a bit:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
This issue pops up all the time. You can use a PSP charger for the reader. USB wall chargers don't work (they drain the battery). Be careful with chargers from other devices: the fact that you can plug the charger to the reader doesn't mean that voltage level and polarity are OK. You may damage your reader.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any PSP charger will work fine. You can buy them for a few quid from any video game shop.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't get a cheap generic PSP AC adapter that is not certified. They can do harm to the battery and possibly catch fire. Get a good certified PSP AC Adapter and you'll be fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any charger sold in a UK store has to be certified to the appropriate EU electrical safely standards, and will be fine. It's the ultra-cheap online ones that you need to watch out for. As long as it has the "CE" safely certification mark on it, it'll be fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, ipod, mains