Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your Covid vaccination status?
I’m fully vaccinated and it’s been over two weeks. 55 63.95%
I’m fully vaccinated but it’s been less than two weeks. 9 10.47%
I’ve had my first shot of two. 12 13.95%
My first shot is scheduled. 1 1.16%
I’m qualified, but I haven’t been able to schedule a shot yet. 1 1.16%
I’ve not yet qualified or it’s not available here yet. 3 3.49%
I’m still undecided. 2 2.33%
I won’t be getting it because of contraindications 1 1.16%
I won’t be getting it for some non-medical reason 2 2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 01:27 PM   #61
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Much the same here in British Columbia where in a 6 week period during what should have been the peak influenza season, only 3 influenza cases were detected and those who in people who had received the influenza vaccine. Perhaps all the social distancing, mask wearing, hand washing and/or sanitizing was too much for influenza viruses to overcome.
The way to stop most diseases is to not go anywhere near people who have those diseases. I don't think it takes expensive research or studies to uncover that bit of common sense.

This last year, we were basically forced to not go near other people. But that can't go on forever, the population will not tolerate it. People will accept an increase in disease transmission to maintain social contact with others. I think the more frequent hand washing has a chance of persisting. Mask wearing, not so much. But you will see it sporadically. Social distancing to a limited extent: e.g., "6 feet" won't last, but maybe "3 feet" will become the new acceptable distance. I certainly hope that people will have learned that dragging yourself into work when you're sick is not a virtue or a symbol of your dedication to your employer. It is more a sign of selfishness. And a lot of people/employers have found that working from home is much more viable than they originally thought. Hard to say what behaviors will stay or revert over the long term.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:56 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
The way to stop most diseases is to not go anywhere near people who have those diseases. I don't think it takes expensive research or studies to uncover that bit of common sense.
The problem with common sense is that it is so uncommon. I have one otherwise quite sensible sounding neighbour who still insists that Covid-19 is not a serious disease and the government should not impose lockdowns and other measures to control what is no worse than a common cold. She also insists that most people listed as Covid-19 deaths are being mis-diagnosed or mis-reported. If she was American, she'd likely be a staunch supported of Trump.

Quote:
This last year, we were basically forced to not go near other people. But that can't go on forever, the population will not tolerate it. People will accept an increase in disease transmission to maintain social contact with others. I think the more frequent hand washing has a chance of persisting. Mask wearing, not so much. But you will see it sporadically. Social distancing to a limited extent: e.g., "6 feet" won't last, but maybe "3 feet" will become the new acceptable distance. I certainly hope that people will have learned that dragging yourself into work when you're sick is not a virtue or a symbol of your dedication to your employer. It is more a sign of selfishness. And a lot of people/employers have found that working from home is much more viable than they originally thought. Hard to say what behaviors will stay or revert over the long term.
As you saind, around here dragging yourself into work when you are feeling sick is being seen as less of a sign of a dedicated employee and more as showing that someone does not care about their fellow employees. For my workplace, most employees now have working from home as a viable alternative for those who do not have sick days to use or would prefer not to use them.

It's going to be interesting to see how much of our behaviour will revert to pre-pandemic over the next year or so. I suspect the handwashing is likely to have become more of a habit so will continue. Mask wearing is likely to be more popular than pre-pandemic. I will continue to wear a mask when outdoors during pollen season to see if it was just an off year for my allergies or if the mask did help.

"May you live in interesting times..."
Advert
Old 07-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #63
Raptwithal
Connoisseur
Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle now; changing soon...
Dang, 90-some percent of respondents said that they were vaxed or will be vaxed about as soon as they can. Really? Pretty compliant volunteer group, I'd say, for a very, very experimental medication.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
This last year, we were basically forced to not go near other people.
I'm of the opinion that this last year, my inclination to stay away from most other people was validated. I was invited to give in to my urges. I gladly and voluntarily accepted.

I'm hoping that this helps the act of shaking hands die a much deserved death. That practice has been just plain stupid for a long, long time. But I'm not holding my breath. I've learned to hold my hands behind my back when meeting/greeting people. How me not agreeing to squeeze strangers' appendages became a personal affront, I'll never understand.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-01-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:48 PM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptwithal View Post
Pretty compliant volunteer group
Or a pretty intelligent volunteer group with a good nose for unhealthy skepticism and B.S.
Advert
Old 07-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #66
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Dang, 90-some percent of respondents said that they were vaxed or will be vaxed about as soon as they can. Really? Pretty compliant volunteer group, I'd say, for a very, very experimental medication.
But I grew those beautiful antennaes after my first shot. Perhaps I'll grow a second head after my second shot. One can only hope!
Old 07-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #67
Raptwithal
Connoisseur
Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Or a pretty intelligent volunteer group with a good nose for unhealthy skepticism and B.S.
Nay, I know not "unhealthy skepticism." Especially when the "science" keeps changing to fit political agendas. Everybody knows. But the great thing, of course, for the time being, is that we adults have vax choice. I feel badly for the young.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:05 PM   #68
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I'm wondering the attendees at the Crossover Camp in Illinois are in agreement with you?

See More than 80 test positive for COVID-19 in Illinois summer camp outbreak and Public Health Officials Announce More Than 80 COVID-19 Cases Now Associated with Youth Camp Outbreak. The second link also mentions that 2 people from Crossover Camp went to a conference resulting in another 11 cases of Covid-19.

Considering that influenza vaccines are developed each year, do you consider them "very, very experimental medication"?

Last edited by DNSB; 07-01-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #69
Raptwithal
Connoisseur

Quote:
Considering that influenza vaccines are developed each year, do you consider them "very, very experimental medication"?
No. The FDA website says: "Flu viruses can change from year to year, so the vaccine is updated every year to protect against new flu virus strains that are expected to circulate in the United States. The FDA plays a key role in making sure flu vaccines are safe, effective, and of high quality."

I take that to mean that the FDA approves the various flu vaccines (which, reportedly, are mildly effective). AFAIK, the Covid jabs are not FDA approved, nor was an FDA development path followed by the jab manufactures.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:35 PM   #70
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
If I catch COVID, I will probably die. I'll take my chances with the vaccine.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Nay, I know not "unhealthy skepticism." Especially when the "science" keeps changing to fit political agendas. Everybody knows. But the great thing, of course, for the time being, is that we adults have vax choice. I feel badly for the young.
I feel sorry for those you may come close too in your unvaccinated arrogance.

As for the science changing to fit political agendas? Around here, it would appear that the provincial health officer changes policies based on newer data. That is the basic difference between science and dogmatism—scientists are supposed to base their conclusions on available data while dogmatists repeat their opinions without needing any supporting data (and often in light of data suggesting their opinion is incorrect).

"A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible."—Joseph Smith

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead”—Thomas Paine

The second phrase is the one that I often think of in connection with Donald J. Trump.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:46 PM   #72
Raptwithal
Connoisseur

Quote:
Sorry, I neglected to respond to above. The key takeaway from THE HILL article is this interesting sentence: "Seventy percent of the reported cases were unvaccinated individuals, according to the statement." That means at least 30 percent of cases had been jabbed. What do you think about that?

Otherwise, they sound like typical, healthy children, so no effect. Just an inconvenience.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:48 PM   #73
Raptwithal
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If I catch COVID, I will probably die. I'll take my chances with the vaccine.
I'm glad we have the choice. I wish you well.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
No. The FDA website says: "Flu viruses can change from year to year, so the vaccine is updated every year to protect against new flu virus strains that are expected to circulate in the United States. The FDA plays a key role in making sure flu vaccines are safe, effective, and of high quality."
The problem is that the vaccines need to be redone every year. This has resulted a couple of times in flu vaccines having to be recalled. There is no multi-year testing of flu vaccines. There is also an issue with flu vaccines and their relatively low effectiveness since months before flu season, the manufacturers are taking their best guess as to what mutated influenza viruses will be common months in the future.

Quote:
I take that to mean that the FDA approves the various flu vaccines (which, reportedly, are mildly effective). AFAIK, the Covid jabs are not FDA approved, nor was an FDA development path followed by the jab manufactures.
The Covid vaccines are approved by the FDA. As for an FDA development path? I'm tempted to ask what you've been smoking. Moderna developed their mRNA vaccine in conjunction with US NAIAD and BARDA while BioNTech developed their vaccine in Germany and then partnered with Pfizer and Fosun. Oddly the videos showing magnets sticking to the arms of people who has purportedly received mRNA vaccines could not be duplicated by any semi-trustworthy sources.

Since you are so fond of the FDA, I would assume that you read their COVID-19 Vaccines page? Though to me, FDA approvals are of intellectual interest only since Health Canada approves vaccines in this neck of the woods.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #75
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Otherwise, they sound like typical, healthy children, so no effect. Just an inconvenience.
Are you as stupid as you sound or are you trying hard to achieve a level of callousness that would astound a gulag commandant?

I'm almost certain that the parents/guardians/whatever of the hundreds of children who have died in the US since last March would consider COVID-19 to more than "just an inconvenience".

Perhaps this article from the Washington Post from 2021-Feb-21: The youngest victims of a national calamity, and the people they left behind

They also included a quote from Donald Trump made the same day that Gigi Morse aged 6 died from COVID-19: President Donald Trump said that children “are almost immune from this disease. … They don’t have a problem.” As the article mentioned, at that time, 271 children had died.
Closed Thread