Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your Covid vaccination status?
I’m fully vaccinated and it’s been over two weeks. 55 63.95%
I’m fully vaccinated but it’s been less than two weeks. 9 10.47%
I’ve had my first shot of two. 12 13.95%
My first shot is scheduled. 1 1.16%
I’m qualified, but I haven’t been able to schedule a shot yet. 1 1.16%
I’ve not yet qualified or it’s not available here yet. 3 3.49%
I’m still undecided. 2 2.33%
I won’t be getting it because of contraindications 1 1.16%
I won’t be getting it for some non-medical reason 2 2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 12:17 AM   #16
Camellia
She / Her
Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Where I am (Victoria, Australia), my demographic (under-40 non-indigenous female, not working in healthcare, border or meat processing industries) still isn't eligible, and won't be eligible for some time.

My parents and my partner's parents have all been vaccinated with Astra-Zeneca, and experienced no side-effects. Due to my age and gender, I'll be given preferential access to Pfizer when my demographic finally opens.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:39 AM   #17
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Where I am in the Philippines vaccination started a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately my wife is having chemotherapy for the next year and has been advised not to have the vaccination until that is completed. I have decided not to get vaccinated until she does as I do not wish to risk accidentally affecting her.
Unless I’m missing something, shouldn’t you get vaccinated in order to protect her instead?
Advert
Old 06-23-2021, 02:09 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Unfortunately my wife is having chemotherapy for the next year and has been advised not to have the vaccination until that is completed. I have decided not to get vaccinated until she does as I do not wish to risk accidentally affecting her.
I urge you to consult a doctor about this. My (non-expert) opinion is that remaining unvaccinated will be a much bigger risk.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:09 AM   #19
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:

That... doesn't make sense. If anything, the vaccination would prevent you from getting a symptomatic case which would be more easily spread to her.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:55 AM   #20
idgaf2day
idgaf2day ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idgaf2day ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idgaf2day ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idgaf2day ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idgaf2day ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idgaf2day ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idgaf2day ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idgaf2day ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idgaf2day ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idgaf2day ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idgaf2day ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen.
I've had both shots (Pfizer). No side effects but for some reason my friends have started calling me Zaphod Beedlebrox.
Advert
Old 06-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #21
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I urge you to consult a doctor about this. My (non-expert) opinion is that remaining unvaccinated will be a much bigger risk.
I will check up on this to be certain but I currently almost never leave the house.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #22
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
I will check up on this to be certain but I currently almost never leave the house.
Your wife takes herself to her chemo sessions?

Current info on vaccinated people who do get COVID is that they tend to be asymptomatic, and have a much smaller viral load, meaning they’ll be shedding such low levels of the virus and won’t be transmitting to others.

My sister is still on a course of cancer treatment, and her husband is also currently receiving aggressive chemotherapy and immunotherapy, and both were vaccinated, as recommended by their general practitioner and their oncologists.

You and your wife are at much greater risk by not being vaccinated. You won't infect her from you getting the vaccine.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't understand. How could one person being vaccinated affect any other person (vaccinated or un-) adversely? The vaccination can only reduce the chances of getting or transmitting the virus, right? There is no scenario where you can put someone else at more risk (by being vaccinated) being discussed in any medically-informed circles, is there?

I'm not trying to be combative, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something medically/scientifically relevant, here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-23-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:57 AM   #24
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't understand. How could one person being vaccinated affect any other person (vaccinated or un-) adversely? The vaccination can only reduce the chances of getting or transmitting the virus, right? There is no scenario where you can put someone else at more risk (by being vaccinated) being discussed in any medically-informed circles, is there?

I'm not trying to be combative, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something medically/scientifically relevant, here.
Thasaidon hasn’t said the reason for his concerns, so this isn’t meant as a comment on why he is concerned. However, in terms of your question, DiaDealer, according to Reuters, some medical, non-peer reviewed speculation was published, that’s led Facebook discussions about this: https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2LS337

In terms of the poll’s question, I had my second shot last week (AstraZeneca, then Pfizer for this one). However, with the Delta variant gaining a foothold in Canada, it seems that 5-6 weeks post vaccination is needed for the full protection, rather than the 2 week benchmark we were using before.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
DiaDealer, according to Reuters, some medical, non-peer reviewed speculation was published, that’s led Facebook discussions about this: https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2LS337
Thanks.

I'm still fully vaccinated as per the last poll, by the way. I received my single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine back in early March.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #26
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:

I'm certainly not a doctor nor an expert, but you should probably call and talk to your wife's doctor about that decision. I don't know which vaccines you have available in the Philippines, but the ones we have in the US do NOT actually contain any of the virus. In years past many vaccines for various diseases actually contained small amounts of the virus so as to get your body to build up an immunity to it. The vaccines for COVID-19 in the US don't work that way. Instead they alter your DNA to create an immunity to COVID-19. If you have similar vaccines in the Philippines, then they should make you less likely to be a carrier, at least in theory. But again, I encourage you call or visit your wife's doctor and have a detailed discussion about what is the best approach to take.

Having had several family members go through cancer and chemo over the past several decades, I do understand the chemo severely weakens the patients immune system rendering them much more vulnerable to other diseases. So definitely discuss with the doctor.

Last edited by OtinG; 06-23-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #27
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't understand. How could one person being vaccinated affect any other person (vaccinated or un-) adversely? The vaccination can only reduce the chances of getting or transmitting the virus, right?
True.

The scenario where the vaccine supposedly puts others at higher risk is under discussion in conspiracy circles and whack job hangouts. They say that vaccinated people can "spew viral spike proteins and infect others". Whatever a spike protein is (but it sounds alarming, which is the point) . Furthermore, they say you spew these remnants in greater quantities than unvaccinated people. And you are an incubator for virus variants too. Oh, and you're going to die from the vaccine between 6 months and 2 years from now. All this, because of a hoax virus. And a global cabal that wants to depopulate the entire planet.

Quote:
There is no scenario where you can put someone else at more risk (by being vaccinated) being discussed in any medically-informed circles, is there?
Oh. Nevermind my above paragraph them. You said "discussed in medically-informed circles". So that wipes out the whack job theories like in the above paragraph (which I mentioned with the intent of humor).

I read news daily from both liberal and conservative websites. I read thoughts about covid/vaccines from left and right groups. It pays to know that the whack jobs (on either side) are thinking. The truth is not out there on the fringes, but it's still important to read from the fringes to keep abreast of things. I don't go to any FAR-left/right websites except for pure entertainment purposes. I go to more middle ground websites that have a strong left/right leaning one way or the other. There are still enough fringe people there to get a taste for what the whack jobs are discussing on the FAR sites.

On this website I am viewed one way, because I don't agree with the people who want others to wear masks permanently, vaccines to be mandatory or at least pushed heavily against people's wishes, and vaccine passports becoming the norm. But on other more conservative websites, I am viewed the other way because I took the vaccine willingly and at my first opportunity and evidently don't care about harming others with my spewed spike proteins. Or cluttering up the sidewalk when I keel over and die a vaccine-induced death shortly. I can't win either way. But the object is not to win, it's to get a better feel of how the fringes think. You gotta know what you are up against in daily life. If you only enter discussions or pile-on's with people who think like you do, you might be in for a rude surprise at best, danger at worst, when you inadvertently stray into a public area with differing opinions.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
On this website I am viewed one way, because I don't agree with the people who want others to wear masks permanently, vaccines to be mandatory or at least pushed heavily against people's wishes, and vaccine passports becoming the norm.
We're not going to rehash all of this this in this new poll thread. That was one of the stipulations of its creation.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #29
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
The vaccines for COVID-19 in the US don't work that way. Instead they alter your DNA to create an immunity to COVID-19. If you have similar vaccines in the Philippines, then they should make you less likely to be a carrier, at least in theory. But again, I encourage you call or visit your wife's doctor and have a detailed discussion about what is the best approach to take.
Nope...

From the CDC:

"COVID-19 vaccines do not change or interact with your DNA in any way.

There are currently two types of COVID-19 vaccines that have been authorized and recommended for use in the United States: messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines and a viral vector vaccine. Both mRNA and viral vector COVID-19 vaccines deliver instructions (genetic material) to our cells to start building protection against the virus that causes COVID-19. However, the material never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA is kept. This means the genetic material in the vaccines cannot affect or interact with our DNA in any way. All COVID-19 vaccines work with the body’s natural defenses to safely develop immunity to disease."
Old 06-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #30
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Nope...

From the CDC:

"COVID-19 vaccines do not change or interact with your DNA in any way.

There are currently two types of COVID-19 vaccines that have been authorized and recommended for use in the United States: messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines and a viral vector vaccine. Both mRNA and viral vector COVID-19 vaccines deliver instructions (genetic material) to our cells to start building protection against the virus that causes COVID-19. However, the material never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA is kept. This means the genetic material in the vaccines cannot affect or interact with our DNA in any way. All COVID-19 vaccines work with the body’s natural defenses to safely develop immunity to disease."
Okay. But what I said about the vaccine not using a live virus sample still applies. We don't have to worry about a live virus being transmitted from the vaccine to us or to another person.
Closed Thread