Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Am I Making Too Much Out Of This?
Yes bud, you seriously need to find something else to worry about! 1 16.67%
No, You're absolutely right and we should march on Parliament! 1 16.67%
I came here by mistake and don't really care. 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
Ron100
Enthusiast
Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Mini
Legitimate interest - explain please

I like to think of myself as reasonably savvy in relation to the internet and data security.
I don't do as much as I should but I'm pretty careful without going overboard.

I don't mind registering devices, I have no problem with DRM in principle, just it's awful implementation.

One thing driving me nuts lately though is 'legitimate interest'.

It appears to me simply an end run around GDPR regulations, I'm happy to be proven wrong - examples though please as I'm a simple guy.

Using MR as an example -
I choose to visit, register, and it's value to me far outweighs any possible data risk from providing an email address.
I see adverts relating to my browsing history,no problem with that as I've never and would never use an affiliate link to make any online purchase anyway.
What little if any revenue the site receives from the minimal data I provide probably goes towards hosting anyway, happy with that.

On the other hand, say I'm lured onto a 'news' site or even a major newspaper website.
I've clicked to read say, a sports article.
So how on earth can say, Ford Motors or L'Oreal cosmetics possibly have any 'legitimate interest' in my data?
Or more accurately, one of the seemingly hundreds of advertising/marketing companies that partner with most websites these days?

I've visited the site for the sole purpose of reading this imaginary sports article so unless the partner in question is in the business of sports I don't see any correlation or legitimate interest.

Even more annoying is should I choose not to consent, I often then have to remove 'legitimate interest' from dozens if not hundreds of partners before eventually getting to my article.

I just don't see how a marketing company's or a retailer's interest can automatically override my refusal. In my mind their only interest is in making cash by any means possible, I don't see where their 'legitimate' interest comes into it. Interested sure, but legitimately?

Thoughts, Examples, Arguments Anyone?
Ron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I agree with you in principle, but I just can't be bothered to really care. As to adverts, I never see any. I use Adblock on all my browsers.

Yes, no doubt it's the money and only money it's all about. But hasn't that always been the way of the world?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I also use various ad blockers on all my devices, and see few ads. If a site has obnoxious ads I can't block, I don't use that site. For some sites, "reader view" lets me read the story without added stuff on the screen.

Quote:
I often then have to remove 'legitimate interest' from dozens if not hundreds of partners before eventually getting to my article.
Really? Hundreds? To read an article? I'll take "Hyperbole" for $500 Alex.

I don't like ads, targeted or otherwise. I deal with them, and get on with my day.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
Ron100
Enthusiast
Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Really? Hundreds? To read an article? I'll take "Hyperbole" for $500 Alex.
I'll stand by it, true it's mostly clickbait sites I've fallen for but my record is 120+ unclicks before I crashed Chrome and deleted all cookies in a rage-fit.
Ron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:48 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
When I hit a site that wants me to "click through" their gallery etc, I immediately leave that site. I'm not caught by click bait often.

I think your issue may be the type of sites you're going to. Live by click bait, die by click bait.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert