Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your Covid vaccination status?
I’m fully vaccinated and it’s been over two weeks. 18 21.95%
I’m fully vaccinated but it’s been less than two weeks. 8 9.76%
I’ve had my first shot of two. 20 24.39%
My first shot is scheduled. 10 12.20%
I’m qualified, but I haven’t been able to schedule a shot yet. 4 4.88%
I’ve not yet qualified or it’s not available here. 16 19.51%
I’m still undecided. 3 3.66%
I won’t be getting it. 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2021, 11:47 PM   #61
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Woot 2nd dosage scheduled for June 21st (originally had been schedule for Easter Monday, April 5). First dose was Monday March 1st so exactly 16 weeks.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:12 AM   #62
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Here in Ontario, the rollout is the most confusing it could be.
Ford: we thought having a confusing mess of vaccine registration sites would give people in lockdown something to do

Quote:
TORONTO – Premier Doug Ford defended the shambolic vaccine registration process this morning, noting it gives Ontarians stuck at home something to spend all their time doing.

“All pandemic long you’ve been whining about how you’re so bored or you’ve ‘finished Netflix,’” said Ford during his COVID update. “Well good news, now you get to spend 5 to 6 hours a day on the various provincial, regional, municipal and university run websites in order to keep you and your family alive.”
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2021, 01:15 AM   #63
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
That sounds kinda oniony.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:33 AM   #64
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
The Beaverton is basically Canada's Onion, yes.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:10 PM   #65
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
And you forgot to say our Premier claims it's an easy system to navigate!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Ahah, true. I was dead when he said that the people already vaccinated found it "very, very simple"... Well... actually, no !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Woot 2nd dosage scheduled for June 21st (originally had been schedule for Easter Monday, April 5). First dose was Monday March 1st so exactly 16 weeks.
Yay! I'm assuming you got your vaccine via UHN. (I think that's one of the only ones to schedule the second appointment with the first shot)

Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #66
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post

Yay! I'm assuming you got your vaccine via UHN. (I think that's one of the only ones to schedule the second appointment with the first shot)

Actually I got it through SHN in one of the priority groupings (I work as a driver for a community health agency, taking folks to appointments, doing food bank and meals on wheels deliveries).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:10 PM   #67
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Then they found that the blood clots post AZ were different in some way than "normal" blood clots. I think they tended to affect your heart and/or lungs more than what is typically seen with DVT's. I don't know where I saw that update (I think possibly even here!) or how valid it remains. .
I sent you links to info on VIPIT days ago, in the last thread of this name. Nothing to do with leg DVTs affecting the heart or lungs. It's mainly brain (cerebral venous sinus) thrombosis and mesenteric/splanchnic thrombosis associated with immune platelet destruction/thrombocytopaenia.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=312
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #68
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The gov’s ending the state mask mandate as of today. Cases are up, hospitalizations are up, what is he thinking? Well, it’s obvious what he’s thinking; this will play well to the idiot portion of the electorate. He’s an MIT-educated engineer, so he understands the science; he’s just willing to sacrifice the people of the state to his ambition, especially given that the British variant has taken strong hold in the region.

My own town is continuing its mask mandate, but it’s going to get harder to enforce. Ditto for stores which maintain their own mask policies; force of state law made it much simpler. I do not see the issue; by this time a mask should be a habit. There’s nothing easier and that makes such a difference. And in fact, the governor is urging people to keep on wearing them!!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #69
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would say that that hopefully will kill some of the "idiot portion of the electorate" it'll play well to but that'd be mean.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #70
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
You sure you didn't want to buy a new phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Can you please use your mind-link to ask Bill Gates about that million dollars he promised me in an email?
Done. Check's in the mail!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #71
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird
The gov’s ending the state mask mandate as of today. Cases are up, hospitalizations are up, what is he thinking?
My guess is that it's a calculated decision. On one hand, masks may help in some situations. But the current surge happened while mask mandates were still in effect. So masks are not the end-all.

On the other hand, people are starting to question why they still have to wear masks after getting vaccinated. They are saying, "If the vaccine is so worthwhile, why do we still have to wear masks, socially distance, and have just been told by Fauci and others that we can't dine inside?" This is not an unreasonable question to ask, and may be causing more people to skip the vaccine if they see no benefit to it.

IMHO, the vaccine will do more to end covid than the masks will, and the trade-off in this mask mandate decision may be to prompt more people to take the vaccine.

The case could be made that masks help with the flu and other airborne diseases as well, not just covid, therefore they should be mandated forevermore. That would not be palatable to the population, and it's not because they are idiots. We live with the acceptance that there will be some amount of sickness and death as the bad end of the trade-off for the lifestyle we want to live.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #72
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

I mean, for whatever reason there's been essentially rounds to no flu since COVID started, perhaps because of masks.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #73
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I mean, for whatever reason there's been essentially rounds to no flu since COVID started, perhaps because of masks.
Probably due in part to masks, in part to incorrectly attributing some deaths to covid when they were actually flu. Other causes of death have fallen since covid started. I think this may be more of a data collection/reporting issue rather than a true decline in those other causes of death. It is the discussion we've all heard about, "died WITH covid vs. died OF covid".
Old 04-16-2021, 11:49 AM   #74
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

I mean, the number of lab-confirmed flu cases is way down as well as the positivity rate going from a typical 30% to more like 0.1% so it seems that the number of (at least severe) flu cases is way down.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #75
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I mean, the number of lab-confirmed flu cases is way down as well as the positivity rate going from a typical 30% to more like 0.1% so it seems that the number of (at least severe) flu cases is way down.
Another possible contributing reason is that many people flock to the ER during normal times. For some of the most minor things sometimes (like a minor case of the flu or even a head cold). During the covid peak, many were avoiding hospitals like the plague, as they were viewed as "covid central" and nobody wanted any part of that. So there was probably a certain contingency of people that would have normally flocked to the ER that did not materialize this year. So they weren't tested for flu, and thus the flu numbers came down. I don't think this factor would be the primary one, but still possibly a contributing factor to the decline in flu reports.

So we have mask use, hesitancy to go to the hospital, staying at home and avoiding other people, mis-characterization of the cause of death and probably a multitude of others factors that contributed to the decline in reported flu cases. There were a whole lot of behaviors and data collection/reporting that were different from normal during this last year. I think they all contributed.