Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your Covid vaccination status?
I’m fully vaccinated and it’s been over two weeks. 18 21.95%
I’m fully vaccinated but it’s been less than two weeks. 8 9.76%
I’ve had my first shot of two. 20 24.39%
My first shot is scheduled. 10 12.20%
I’m qualified, but I haven’t been able to schedule a shot yet. 4 4.88%
I’ve not yet qualified or it’s not available here. 16 19.51%
I’m still undecided. 3 3.66%
I won’t be getting it. 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2021, 07:30 AM   #31
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Unfortunately one of my in-laws who is about a month out of his Johnson&Johnson/Janssen shot tested positive for Covid yesterday. He is symptomatic, but hopefully it will not be as bad as it could be.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Unfortunately one of my in-laws who is about a month out of his Johnson&Johnson/Janssen shot tested positive for Covid yesterday. He is symptomatic, but hopefully it will not be as bad as it could be.
If the info available is at all believable, it is almost guaranteed to not be as bad as it could be. As one who had the Janssen vaccine, I'd love to hear a follow-up detailing a mild case and a speedy recovery.

I'd love it for you and your family as well. I realize that last sentence may have sounded a bit more selfish than I intended it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2021, 09:35 AM   #33
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If the info available is at all believable, it is almost guaranteed to not be as bad as it could be. As one who had the Janssen vaccine, I'd love to hear a follow-up detailing a mild case and a speedy recovery.

I'd love it for you and your family as well. I realize that last sentence may have sounded a bit more selfish than I intended it.
Three days straight of a fever, exhaustion, and general malaise led to him getting the test. Thankfully, he does not have a cough. So, no, not as bad as it could be by any stretch.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for the update.

I see now that they've very recently announced a "pause" in administering the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in the U.S. While I certainly commend their abundance of caution in the investigation of 6 cases (thus far) in nearly 7 million doses administered, I also worry that it will affect many states planned rollouts (not to mention the additional hesitancy it will cause after they inevitably resume its use).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Thanks for the update.

I see now that they've very recently announced a "pause" in administering the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in the U.S. While I certainly commend their abundance of caution in the investigation of 6 cases (thus far) in nearly 7 million doses administered, I also worry that it will affect many states planned rollouts (not to mention the additional hesitancy it will cause after they inevitably resume its use).
I was hopeful that in my college town when enrollments open for out-of-state students at the end of the week that they’d be pumping the J&J vaccine into those partying arms. With a two-shot vaccine, they’ll be fully protected just about the time when they’re leaving town anyway. At least I hope most of them are planning to leave town.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #36
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
The AZ vaccine (I forgot how to spell it ... AstraZen-something) went through or is still going through some blood clot problems. Initially it was reported, but then they found that the incident of blood clots post AZ vaccine was actually lower than the incidence of bloodclots in the unvaccinated population. So that was somewhat of a relief. Then they found that the blood clots post AZ were different in some way than "normal" blood clots. I think they tended to affect your heart and/or lungs more than what is typically seen with DVT's. I don't know where I saw that update (I think possibly even here!) or how valid it remains. But it moves the blood clot problem from what initially appeared to be a potential over reaction scenario into a "Hmmm, maybe there's more to this" scenario. It's hard to say when the incidence of these complications is so low. I hope the J&J blood clot investigation does not turn up a similar "more deadly" blood clot as the AZ looks to be doing.

But we still need to keep in mind that you are probably at higher risk of death by driving your car to go get the vaccine than you are from these rare side effects of the vaccine. Doesn't mean ignore the side effects, but keep them in perspective. My hope is that the blood clots are not a "tip of the iceberg" type of finding, and they will stay an isolated and rare event. I imagine with any drug that if enough people take it, some will experience untoward side effects or death. You even see that with eating food - people die from eating peanuts.

They paused J&J near my home last week I think it was. But that was not for blood clot findings. IIRC, there were 10 or so people at one mass injection site that experienced dizziness and/or nausea. They rapidly restarted the J&J distribution after a day or two, so I would assume that their investigation didn't turn up anything serious. This new blood clot stoppage is separate and distinct from the stoppage near my home last week.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Not yet qualified here and probably won't get it at all, but not entirely decided yet. I'm not anti-vaccination, but I live a very reclusive life (alone) and never travel. I haven't had any vaccinations since early childhood and I don't even remember when I was ill the last time. Years ago. OTOH, if the virus should mutate into something more dangerous than the current strain, I'll probably reconsider.

My mother, who is over 80, has had both shots. She has not complained about any side effects, but as she has advanced dementia, her lack of complaining isn't fully trustworthy. Still, we went to see her at her nursing home a couple of weeks ago and she seemed ok.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #38
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not yet qualified here and probably won't get it at all, but not entirely decided yet. I'm not anti-vaccination, but I live a very reclusive life (alone) and never travel. I haven't had any vaccinations since early childhood and I don't even remember when I was ill the last time. Years ago. OTOH, if the virus should mutate into something more dangerous than the current strain, I'll probably reconsider.

My mother, who is over 80, has had both shots. She has not complained about any side effects, but as she has advanced dementia, her lack of complaining isn't fully trustworthy. Still, we went to see her at her nursing home a couple of weeks ago and she seemed ok.
My mother is elderly and disabled from a devastating stroke a few years back. Neither she nor my father experienced any side effects. And I assure you, my mother complains about everything. I found that interesting as by myself and my wife had fevers and exhaustion for a few days.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
My mother is elderly and disabled from a devastating stroke a few years back. Neither she nor my father experienced any side effects. And I assure you, my mother complains about everything. I found that interesting as by myself and my wife had fevers and exhaustion for a few days.
Yes, I have also heard that old people have fewer side effects than younger generations. As I'm not even 50 yet, that's one of the things holding me back. But we'll see.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #40
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
My mom had dementia as well. She ended up with covid, as did about 95% of the people in her memory care facility. She lived through that with few complications, other than the forced isolation and quarantine those poor folks had to endure. That was awful. A few months after recovering from covid she had the shots. No side effects or complaints that she mentioned, but as Sirtel says, that is not fully trustworthy.

She died about 2-3 months after the shots, but it wasn't the shots that took her. It was the dementia and forced isolation. Today, there is still no visitation allowed in memory care facilities around here. Despite the fact that almost all residents (at my mom's place) already had covid, they have all been vaccinated now (for months), the staff has all been vaccinated, and us families have all been vaccinated. Even with masks, gowns, gloves and face shields (what they made me wear to empty out her room) you are still not allowed to see your family member. The vaccine is not the end. It is not even the light at the end of the tunnel. At least not for residents in memory care or nursing home facilities around here...
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
My mom had dementia as well. She ended up with covid, as did about 95% of the people in her memory care facility. She lived through that with few complications, other than the forced isolation and quarantine those poor folks had to endure. That was awful. A few months after recovering from covid she had the shots. No side effects or complaints that she mentioned, but as Sirtel says, that is not fully trustworthy.

She died about 2-3 months after the shots, but it wasn't the shots that took her. It was the dementia and forced isolation. Today, there is still no visitation allowed in memory care facilities around here. Despite the fact that almost all residents (at my mom's place) already had covid, they have all been vaccinated now (for months), the staff has all been vaccinated, and us families have all been vaccinated. Even with masks, gowns, gloves and face shields (what they made me wear to empty out her room) you are still not allowed to see your family member. The vaccine is not the end. It is not even the light at the end of the tunnel. At least not for residents in memory care or nursing home facilities around here...
Yeah. Most nursing homes here have had Covid as well, but my mom lives in a small and less known one and they managed to avoid the virus. For about 2-3 months they didn't allow visitors (from January through March), but as most of their clients have had their shots by now, they allow visiting on a case-by-case basis. Masks are required, but no gowns, shields or other such nonsense. Of course they only allow a couple of visitors at a time. There has been no general isolation or quarantine in the house internally, the residents can walk around in the house and converse with one another as much as they want. My mom seems to be in a good mood. As her memory (both long- and short-term) is extremely poor, she doesn't seem to miss her family members much. She lives in the moment, as a small child would.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-13-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #42
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I got the first Moderna shot a couple of weeks ago. At the time my state had not yet opened up to my age group and in my city, vaccine appointments were hard to come by for those who were eligible. I went to a neighboring state where many residents apparently don't want the vaccine (per news reports and observation by a friend who lives there). A number of people I know went to the neighboring state for vaccines.

I think the vaccine is becoming more widely available in my city now but I'll probably just keep the appointment I have for the 2nd dose in the other state.

My vaccine was done at a Walmart pharmacy. I wonder if Walmart and other pharmacies that have been administering shots will notify the people in their databases if there is any update, recall, booster, etc.

Edited to add that the only side effect I had from the first dose was a sore arm.

Last edited by 4691mls; 04-13-2021 at 01:21 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:12 PM   #43
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I doubt that it's a valid comparison, but you were able to get the new Singrix shingles vaccine, even if you'd had the less effective older one already. Just not too close together in time.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #44
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
My vaccine was done at a Walmart pharmacy. I wonder if Walmart and other pharmacies that have been administering shots will notify the people in their databases if there is any update, recall, booster, etc.
A batch number should have been, and almost certainly was, kept with your contact information so you can be notified if there is an issue.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I was just wondering today, does anyone here who took the vaccine now wish that they hadn't? Any second thoughts or buyer's remorse?...
I'm not crazy about waking up in the middle of the night with a near-overpowering urge to buy Microsoft products, but otherwise I'm happy.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote