Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-19-2021, 06:16 PM   #1
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
To keep the fizz longer in a 2 liter bottle, put it upside down in the fridge. Make sure the lid's on tight and you may have to balance it in the back corner or door but it keeps the fizz from escaping as fast.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Best way to keep fizz in plastic bottles of fizzy drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
To keep the fizz longer in a 2 liter bottle, put it upside down in the fridge. Make sure the lid's on tight and you may have to balance it in the back corner or door but it keeps the fizz from escaping as fast.
If it is a plastic bottle, squeeze all the air out of it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2021, 04:04 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If it is a plastic bottle, squeeze all the air out of it.
Excellent tip. The smaller the volume of air in the bottle when the cap goes on, the smaller the amount of CO2 that needs to come out of solution to equalise the partial pressures.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Excellent tip. The smaller the volume of air in the bottle when the cap goes on, the smaller the amount of CO2 that needs to come out of solution to equalise the partial pressures.
At the risk of going off topic, I don't think that's right. It's backwards. By squeezing air out of a 2 liter bottle, you're creating low pressure void space, which will pull more co2 out of solution to fill that space. It would only work if you put the soda in a smaller container that was totally filled by the liquid with no extra space. The only other way to keep the co2 in solution longer would be to repressurize the empty space with co2 (not air).
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why not drop glass marbles into the bottle to ensure the empty volume is filled.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #6
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why not drop glass marbles into the bottle to ensure the empty volume is filled.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
...and then pour in sand to fill the space between the marbles....wait, this sounds familiar....

Actually the marbles sound like an interesting experiment. Though not a very practical way to maintain 50 cents worth of fizzy sugar water.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
At the risk of going off topic, I don't think that's right. It's backwards. By squeezing air out of a 2 liter bottle, you're creating low pressure void space, which will pull more co2 out of solution to fill that space. It would only work if you put the soda in a smaller container that was totally filled by the liquid with no extra space. The only other way to keep the co2 in solution longer would be to repressurize the empty space with co2 (not air).
You would, of course, have to constrict the bottle so that it couldn't re-expand. Thus keeping the volume to be pressurised by CO2 small.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
An excellent solution, provided the marbles are freshly cleaned and sterilised. But perhaps more trouble than just squeezing the bottle and applying a rubber band.

I might even get some bottles to experiment on. (I usually buy cans because of precisely this problem.)
Old 03-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I'm not sure that this will really work. I suppose if the replaced cap was only water-tight but not air-tight it would make a difference.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You would, of course, have to constrict the bottle so that it couldn't re-expand. Thus keeping the volume to be pressurised by CO2 small.
I don't see how that's practical with a semi-rigid plastic bottle. If it was some sort of bag or bladder you could fully seal down against the liquid, then yes.

I may have to test this.

Last edited by ApK; 03-20-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:24 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I wondered if a rubberband (or two) around the middle would be sufficient. Perhaps someone who already has such bottles will experiment so that we don't have to.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I don't see how that's practical with a semi-rigid plastic bottle. If it was some sort of bag or bladder you could fully seal down against the liquid, then yes.

I may have to test this.
I'm surprised your 2 liter plastic bottles are so thick? Whenever I squeeze the air out of a plastic soda bottle, leaving as little air as possible, the bottle doesn't re-expand.

I'm also from the U.S.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #13
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm surprised your 2 liter plastic bottles are so thick? Whenever I squeeze the air out of a plastic soda bottle, leaving as little air as possible, the bottle doesn't re-expand.

I'm also from the U.S.
Well, I haven't actually tried any of this yet. Usually when I have 2 liter bottles, we drink them, or I shoot them....they make highly entertaining reaction targets.
I am definitely considering a controlled experiment, enlisting my family as blind taste testers.
It's also a good excuse to have Chinese food, cuz our local place gives a free 2-liter with pick-up.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:34 PM   #14
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The glass marble concept would be an interesting experiment. My problem with it is that it seems to me that introducing the glass marbles might cause more carbonation to "fizz" out than it would preserve in the long run.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:05 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
The glass marble concept would be an interesting experiment. My problem with it is that it seems to me that introducing the glass marbles might cause more carbonation to "fizz" out than it would preserve in the long run.
If they were very smooth marbles, and introduced carefully, this shouldn't be a problem. (If they're smooth enough (& clean!) there should be no places to act as generation points for bubbles.)

Perhaps I should have added an "Unutterably Silly" tag to this thread.