Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #31
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
It is interesting that 2 updates came pretty quickly, but now I will be able to remember my patch setting since I just adjusted stuff last night!
Don't speak too soon. It looks like the patches related to display of kepubs will need to be reworked. Even the Multi-version patches (which normally don't need any effort to update between firmware versions) need to be redone.

The reason for this seems to be the introduction of new code for a NewKepubReader using the internal kepub-book.css file. I don't know whether this new code is actually in use in this firmware version but the fact that it exists means that some of the unique code, which the old kepub Multi-version patches rely on, actually appears twice in the libnickel.so.1.0.0 file.

I'm guessing this may not be a serious problem but it will require extra work to get the old kepub patches working again.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Don't speak too soon. It looks like the patches related to display of kepubs will need to be reworked. Even the Multi-version patches (which normally don't need any effort to update between firmware versions) need to be redone.

The reason for this seems to be the introduction of new code for a NewKepubReader using the internal kepub-book.css file. I don't know whether this new code is actually in use in this firmware version but the fact that it exists means that some of the unique code, which the old kepub Multi-version patches rely on, actually appears twice in the libnickel.so.1.0.0 file.

I'm guessing this may not be a serious problem but it will require extra work to get the old kepub patches working again.
I'd be happy to have the other patches and wait for the kepub patches. I mostly use ePub and those are the patches I'm most interested in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #33
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd be happy to have the other patches and wait for the kepub patches. I mostly use ePub and those are the patches I'm most interested in.
I'm in the opposite side. I'll wait for kepub and I'm not interested at all in epub patches
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #34
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The new home screen is less attractive/useful to me than the one I have. I run 3.19.5613 on mine.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #35
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How does the experimental night mode work? Once added to the config file, is it a toggle under Reading Settings like with Full Screen mode? That would be fantastic!
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The new home screen is less attractive/useful to me than the one I have. I run 3.19.5613 on mine.
I've got 3.19.5613 on my H2O and that's where it's staying.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #37
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
My Aura One installed the new firmware while syncing this morning. However, I didn't get the new home screen, and I've also lost the ability to sync via Wi-Fi. It stays stuck on "Checking for updates" - for well over half an hour this morning, until it actually ran out of battery. I've rolled back to 4.2.8432 for now - I'll try the update again when I get back from work this evening.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Seems to be a problem with the "auto-connect" when you sync. If you turn on wifi before you sync it should work. If you just hit the sync and say yes when it asks about connecting it will hang. At that point if you cancel sync, leave the wifi on, and hit sync again it should also work.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've got 3.19.5613 on my H2O and that's where it's staying.
I highly disagree with that choice of firmware. 3.19.5761 is better. That's what I was using before trying the 4.2.8432. I'm interested in seeing the new home screen and the series sort.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-22-2017 at 12:33 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #39
EthanYi
EthanYi began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO aura one,Kindle paperwhite3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
My Aura One installed the new firmware while syncing this morning. However, I didn't get the new home screen, and I've also lost the ability to sync via Wi-Fi. It stays stuck on "Checking for updates" - for well over half an hour this morning, until it actually ran out of battery. I've rolled back to 4.2.8432 for now - I'll try the update again when I get back from work this evening.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Yes,me too.I was installed the new firmware.I didn't get the new home screen!Did you solve it?
EthanYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #40
EthanYi
EthanYi began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO aura one,Kindle paperwhite3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As at least one person wants to know, here's what I know about 4.3.8842:
  • New home screen. But, this is not be enabled for all people and devices.
  • Series sorting in the library lists. When selected, the books are sorted as if the series and series index was added to the start of the title.
  • Search on home screen remembers the last search used.
  • Buttons on the brightness slider changes the level by 1%.
  • Nightmode option via config file. This is not a supported feature and might never be.

I don't know of any particular bugs being fixed.

There are no changes that affect the use with calibre. I have updated the driver to accept the new firmware version. This should be in the next calibre release. In the meantime, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firwmare" option.
What people and devices can get a new home screen?
EthanYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Can you dismiss the "Recommended", "Find your next great read", and "Read articles from the we..."?

Can you dismiss tiles in general?

Thanks.
I haven't found a way to dismiss tiles on the new home screen yet. Personally, I think it's a great leap back since I see no use in having half the home screen used for what amounts to advertising.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Done.
Thanks! Another of my fat-fingered typos fixed.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For someone who has not ever had the WiFi on except to register the device and do a sync once then, what would the home screen look like? Is there going to be blank spaces for My Books and Recommended?
My Books would not be blank since it's a link to your onboard library. Otherwise, I'm not sure what any blobs that display network content would look like.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #44
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I noticed that entering then exiting demo mode now resets settings.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Is this your slightly cryptic way of saying Kobo has introduced an experimental Night Mode option?
Yes. On my KA1, it inverts the screen and leaves it inverted. Much like using the nightmode hack on the KA1, there is no easy way to toggle the setting. After you change the .conf file, I needed to power cycle my KA1 to change the mode.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-22-2017 at 01:30 PM.